Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Horrible Hookah Sickness

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven
Unhappy Horrible Hookah Sickness

Hey guys, I know you all have probably been through this before, but I was very thick-headed last night. As some of you know, I got my Nakhla shipment in the mail with loads of flavours, as well as Fusion Exotic Pear, and heaps of charcoal. Anyways, I smoked Nakhla Orange and enjoyed it but I thought it lacked flavour. An hour later I decided to try Nakhla Margarita. Not bad at all. So then I am thinking to myself I want another, so I pack a bowl of Fusion Exotic Pear. This was very nice I must say. My coals die down so I get some fresh ones and keep the session going...so this 4th session comes to an end and before I could realize it, my head felt like it was going to EXPLODE! I got really really weak and started shaking, and I felt like I was dying, seriously, that's how bad this was. I was drinking water and I had eaten before the session and my vent was opened, just to let you guys know. Anyways, I decided to lay down and take a nap and when I woke up I still felt a bit nauseous and my head was still hurting, but I felt much better so I got up and took some Tylenol and drank some water and then decided to eat some food just to be on the safe side. Now this Arabian Phenom is feeling fine, thank God! So I come to you guys with two questions...What in the hell happened to me and why? Please help me out because this sickness was so horrible it'll make me not ever wanna smoke again, and that says a LOT!!!
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Horrible Hookah Sickness

Out of curiosity, were you smoking outside while smoking? I've smoked some heavy flavors outside on a hot sticky day and i was just seconds away from puking my lungs out. It also came with a "damn hangovers aren't even this bad" headrush, all i wanted to do was lay down and not puke.
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Too much nicotine, too much CO2 in too short of a time (even if spread out) - basically TOO MUCH SMOKING .

Just remember - everything in moderation. A 2-3hr session is ok (once and awhile), but (4) 1.5hr sessions, specially with 2 of the tobacco's being Nakhla, is probably alittle too much, even for the most hard core smokers.

If you try it again, eat WHILE smoking (slows you down and helps w/ the nicotine absorption), make sure you drink tons (try some Gatoraid/Poweraid instead of just plain water/tea) and remember - you need AIR. Take longer brakes.

Trust me - I've done this ONCE and learned the HARD way - LOL. Even during the LONG lounge session, I wasn't the only one smoking and eat/drank stuff. But I still had a bit of a headache afterwards. LOL!
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

If you were inside it could have been Carbon Monoxide build up from lighting so many coals in a short period of time. Also could have just been too much smoke in a short time. Take it easy, relax and open a window.
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

nic-a-fit

ya i had a light nic-a-fit the other night, smoked a bowl of schnozzberry tangiers, my roommate didnt smoke much of it, we took a little break when our new neighbors came knocking then i pretty much finished it off. it was early still so i wanted some more, packed a bowl of romman chocolate, then went to clean up and started to get light headed. took me like 5 times of getting up working then sitting/laying down to get everything clean.

that was bad

-matt
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

yea i have a 50g bowl (or so i think its 50grams) i can fit my smaller bowls inside of it, i smoked 3 bowls full one day and then i stopped smoken for a while i threw up when i woke up i had thick mucus and what not it was insane man lol it was an all day smoke session.... by myself WoW+CS:S+xboxlive+ being on workers comp=ed party time for me i learnt my lesson and never again
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Is this end of the Arab Phenom?!
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
Hey guys, I know you all have probably been through this before, but I was very thick-headed last night. As some of you know, I got my Nakhla shipment in the mail with loads of flavours, as well as Fusion Exotic Pear, and heaps of charcoal. Anyways, I smoked Nakhla Orange and enjoyed it but I thought it lacked flavour. An hour later I decided to try Nakhla Margarita. Not bad at all. So then I am thinking to myself I want another, so I pack a bowl of Fusion Exotic Pear. This was very nice I must say. My coals die down so I get some fresh ones and keep the session going...so this 4th session comes to an end and before I could realize it, my head felt like it was going to EXPLODE! I got really really weak and started shaking, and I felt like I was dying, seriously, that's how bad this was. I was drinking water and I had eaten before the session and my vent was opened, just to let you guys know. Anyways, I decided to lay down and take a nap and when I woke up I still felt a bit nauseous and my head was still hurting, but I felt much better so I got up and took some Tylenol and drank some water and then decided to eat some food just to be on the safe side. Now this Arabian Phenom is feeling fine, thank God! So I come to you guys with two questions...What in the hell happened to me and why? Please help me out because this sickness was so horrible it'll make me not ever wanna smoke again, and that says a LOT!!!
Clearly you are doing something very wrong when you smoke. I suggest you read: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_12.htm

I also suggest you:
1) Light your coals and smoke outside to prevent excessive CO production and build up.
2) Use natural coals that are fully lighted
3) Smoke out of an extremely clean rig that is at least 26" tall.
4) Taste the smoke rather then inhale
5) Pause at least 30 seconds between draws.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

ah man i had the exact same problem, did pretty much the same thing and was msoking from 12 noon to like 9 at nite yesterday, and felt liek shit.

but il do it again cos it was so nice and i got my new MYA today
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the best reply was from sammniamii. Good reply there, thanks for the heads up. Also, guys I never smoke outside, ever. And Dunkel remember what you told me about chaining? Next time I'll know to slow down and take it easy. I didn't get the sickness from lighting the coals though, however. I know I was fine until the end of the 4th session. After that, that's what took the Phenom out LOL. And boy did I hear it from my girlfriend and my mother afterwards!!! Things like "Why in the HELL didn't you tell me what was going on!?!?! You could have fallen out and I never would have known dammit!!!!" LOL that's Mom for you, always looking out for her "baby boy" (despite the fact that I'm a young adult now ). But anyways, Juno, it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that to stop this Arabian Phenom ahahaha. But yeah due to what Samm and Dunk have told me, I think it's too much smoking in a short amount of time. Basically like rushing chain hits. Now I know to take it easy young jeezy, word

Also, thanks Hajo Flettner for linking me to the narghile article. I will be more responsible with my smoking from now on.

Last edited by FarBeyondDriven; August 15th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

the phenom is down.....
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
lovellhookah
Hookah Newbie

My girlfriend and her friend both smoked today we were all outside. We had AF Two apples and used 2 coals on a mini. well they both got sick and have headaches and i think its cause both of them have only smoked 5 times combined, but all I got was a buzz. Idk. They were both about to blow chunks. and they still have headaches. and we are here in florida, and it was like 90 degrees outside, so that didn't help. i ate a lil, so that might be why. idk what the hell i'm talking about. where am i

I'm tired as hell...... and my g/f's a bitch...... damn....... and i had to sell my hookah...... =(
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

what?!
you sold your new hookah because your girlfriend got sick?

I'd say get a new girlfriend.

Everyone gets sick from a hookah w/ they don't pace themselves, or they are new. Seriously get your hookah back and tell her to go suck a lemon.

Take some excedrine, eat something, drink water, and go to bed. research hookah headaches to find out how to keep them from happening.

-Glad to hear the phenom is sticking around. Just pace yourself. I'll smoke no more than 3 times a day but I try to space it out 1 in the morning, afternoon, 1 at night if i'm going to smoke multiple bowls. If I can't do that I smoke no more than 2 bowls back to back.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

I smoke every single day, sometimes twice if I get a chance at lunch. Usually 2-3 bowls a day total.

I've found a few things that can make me very, very sick.

First of all, if you're using quick-light coals, even Three Kings, they need to be fully red (no black spots) or you're drawing in lighter fluid.

Second, you need to realize certain flavors don't sit well with certain people. Rose is one of those for me, while I love Jasmine. I know people who can take five pulls of Jasmine and get seriously ill. It could just be one of the flavors you smoked.

Last, realize that smoking DOES increase your blood pressure. If you have enough nicotine AND are taking steady pulls and lacking oxygen, you're going to get ill just from the effect on your system. I proved this one night. I smoked a few bowls and felt REALLY ill. My blood pressure was 155 over 75, as compared to 120 over 60 normally. I took 1/2 of my father's blood pressure medication and suddenly felt totally fine. If you start feeling an actual stimulant feeling from the hookah, it's time to STOP.

On a final note, use a scotch-brite pad to clean your bowls before packing them with new shisha. The residue builds up on the inside of the bowl, and if you go a few sessions without cleaning, you are basically smoking the tobacco PLUS all the crusted nicotine stuck to the bowl.
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

KoRn, you said it all in your reply and that is EXACTLY what I did today. I said to myself, "Damn phenom, you know you have to be the man and figure out the hookah deal." So I woke up and felt great and fixed myself a cup of Earl Grey and said, "Hmmm...let's smoke Earl Grey and drink Earl Grey!" So did this and had my morning smoke, waited until this afternoon and had Nakhla Mizo Peach, and now it's 3:12AM here and I'm finishing off with Nakhla Coffee and I feel great. The phenom might have been KO'ed last night, but he is back with a vengeance!

Also OCMusicJunkie, I think that's exactly what happened man. As sammniamii said, wayyyy too much nicotine in such a short period of time, chaining the hits as well. I think my blood pressure was sky high because the back of my head was pounding and that's a dead give away. But rest assured, I have read how to prevent this and I pace myself well now. The girlfriend wanted to kill me and bash my hookah to a million pieces but she is glad I am more responsible now, so that's good. Thanks for the tips guys, and the Arabian Phenom shall never give in until he's got nothing left
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
lovellhookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnKitten View Post
what?!
you sold your new hookah because your girlfriend got sick?

I'd say get a new girlfriend.

Everyone gets sick from a hookah w/ they don't pace themselves, or they are new. Seriously get your hookah back and tell her to go suck a lemon.

Take some excedrine, eat something, drink water, and go to bed. research hookah headaches to find out how to keep them from happening.

-Glad to hear the phenom is sticking around. Just pace yourself. I'll smoke no more than 3 times a day but I try to space it out 1 in the morning, afternoon, 1 at night if i'm going to smoke multiple bowls. If I can't do that I smoke no more than 2 bowls back to back.
No, I had to sell it because of my parents. My dad says its a "dope fiend device" that its used to smoke **** out of and I'm telling him that all i smoke out of it is tobacco. Then he starts talking about drug paraphernalia and he tells me to sell it. No worries, I sold it to a friend who will let me borrow it anytime.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovellhookah View Post
No, I had to sell it because of my parents. My dad says its a "dope fiend device" that its used to smoke **** out of and I'm telling him that all i smoke out of it is tobacco. Then he starts talking about drug paraphernalia and he tells me to sell it. No worries, I sold it to a friend who will let me borrow it anytime.
This is just an incentive to get a real hookah and smoke with your father.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
lovellhookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
This is just an incentive to get a real hookah and smoke with your father.
haha yeah i don't think so. he's an old fart and he used to do all that in his 20's. now all he does is chew. nasty shit. but he said now that i can buy one and have it. only i have to smoke it when they're not here. so i did sell the mini and i'm probably gonna buy a 29"-41". something where i can switch between one and three hoses.
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Sounds nice bro. I'm glad he allowed you to have it. It'll keep you away from those stink cigs. They are BAD BAD BAD
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovellhookah View Post
haha yeah i don't think so. he's an old fart and he used to do all that in his 20's. now all he does is chew. nasty shit. but he said now that i can buy one and have it. only i have to smoke it when they're not here. so i did sell the mini and i'm probably gonna buy a 29"-41". something where i can switch between one and three hoses.

yea dude my parents said they didnt want it in there house at all for like a week so i smoked it out back, then when it was raining i smoked in the back room then eventually like a day after the rain i got the okay to smoke in my room
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

the smoke you exhale is dangerous !!,
Last week i had 1 session but my window was closed, so right after i went to bed, with the closed door and window, next morning, i wake up with a huge headache.. 1st time i get headache from hookah lool
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

I know you like thick clouds, so maybe with the amount of sessions and if each session last an hour or so, that's a lot of smoke that your body is taking in. Next time take some brakes and I hate to say it but, not as much smoke. You get sick because of all the smoke inhalation, it's like when people get stuck in a burning building and get to much smoke exposure, they need oxygen to clear out there lungs. Were you chain smoking too? Anyway take it easy my friend you don't have to smoke your whole stash in one night
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Hooksta, yeah I was chain smoking like an idiot man. I had 4 sessions in I'd say 6 hours. I don't have the sickness feeling anymore man. I can take the biggest hits and never get sick. I pace myself well now, and as a matter of fact, I had 5 sessions the other day and felt great. Not a bit of sickness or headache. The Phenom is back man LOL
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya i just had 2 2 hour sessions with a phunnel bowl in a row last night watching the olympics by my self since my roommate was with his chick (one even being tangiers), where as when i had one phunnel of tangiers shared, and then a small egyptian of romman i started to get light headed a few days ago.

score on tolerances
-matt
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
texashookah
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Wow, lot of smoking... don't think I've ever gone more than an hour in a day and we own a store haha
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook