Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah while at college

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Sloppy_Surgeon
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah while at college

So in less than two weeks I'll be in the dorm and ready to start another year of school. This will be my first time living in a place where I won't be able to smoke indoors. I've already decided that if I'm going to smoke while on campus (which I am) then I'll be forced to do so outside in the designated smoking areas. I also realize that I'll probably have to explain numerous times what I'm doing and that I may even have to explain to campus security that what I am doing is totally legal and only involves tobacco. I've already planned to invest in some comfy portable chairs and a small portable table to make sessions more enjoyable.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has had experiences smoking hookah on campus or if you all had any tips or hints for things to look out for. As far as I can tell, as long as I'm in a designated smoking area the only real problems I should have will be weather and having to share my hose with interested new people.
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Hookah while at college

If I were you, I'd check the "rule" manuals if hookahs are even allowed on campus. Period. lol

I checked mine online and I'm lucky as hell since my school does allow hookah, but not indoors or 20-30 feet near the nearest building.

Ya just wanna make sure! Ya don't want the campus police taking your hookah away or something like that cuz some of them are real jerks.

BTW, if you wanna RISK to smoke in school, just keep your stash in the trunk of your car and bring it in the dorm when ya wanna smoke. Heh RAs are mean from what I hear when they do random searches.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Sloppy_Surgeon
Hookah Newbie

Ahh, you make a very valid point. I do see how some people could misconstrue them for paraphernalia. Once my colleges site comes back up from maintenance I'll check that.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

kids smoker hookah on my campus every night it was nice out and we even had a hookah bar ran by the students so it was cool at my school
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM
MNH
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to MNH

hope your going to be somewhere were it will be warm in the winter... but I'm sure that you will have tons of people asking what it is..and blah blah blah but you should be fine.. Hookah is getting more and more popular in the US and especially in college.. Have fun at school
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

When I went to visit some guys at the University of Redlands there was always a group smoking in the quad. No problems at all. It depends on the campus. The one I'm at now would probably kill me.
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:01 AM
areyousmokinyet
Hookah Newbie

Its college. Most people are pretty chill. I've had a hookah in my room the last 3 years running and as long as you get some ventilation goin on, you'll be fine. Hotbox the room and you're screwed. RA's aren't out to get you, but you force their hand when they can obviously smell something from down the hall. Keep it on the down low, towel the door, don't smoke like a chimney and you be in the clear.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Campus security is a joke. You can just walk away from those rent-a-cops.
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

As a student....I have the following for you
Man....I go back the 20th :P
Fun times.... Fun times....

I say it will be fine. I smoke on campus ALL the time. Campus security is fun. They always come up and ask what flavor I have in there.
Just some advice...if someone comes up to you and is curious...dont jump to conclusions that they will be jumping to conclusions....it makes matter so much worse!

Just stick with the general smoking rules. ( no smoking inside or like 30ft from a building). You should be ok

-Mahir
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Sport City
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Sport City

If I was you, I would looks for a kickass park or lounging spot not on campus. You never know the reaction of the security. Our architecture class has built several areas a few miles off campus that are in great locations and somewhat scenic. What college will you be at?
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport City View Post
If I was you, I would looks for a kickass park or lounging spot not on campus. You never know the reaction of the security. Our architecture class has built several areas a few miles off campus that are in great locations and somewhat scenic. What college will you be at?
To be honest, dealing with campus security would be a lot easier than actual police. Campus pigs usually know about hookah and aren't gonna break your balls like some ass hat cops.

Old August 18th, 2008, 03:16 AM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

Your choice to smoke in your dorm should depend on the regulations stated by the school's student-living agreement. On top of that I would also check local regulations for smoking outdoors. I go to school in Philadelphia and both inside a dorm and outside in a park is a bad idea. Hookahs are used as a drug paraphernalia. So even if my campus security is a joke and see me outside smoking, I can still be fined for violation of local ordinances by our local PD.
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
socali

Smoking indoors isn't allowed at my school either and I'm sure there aren't really any schools where it is. Many people at my school smoke inside anyway- hookah, cigars, etc. If your'e fire alarm isn't touch sensitive you can always cover it for the duration of your hookah session. Works like a dream for me.
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:13 PM
MoonSlice21
Hookah Newbie

I would definitely check if hookahs are even allowed in the dorms. Last year my friend and I were smoking outside where it is perfectly legal and one of the RA's called the police on us. The police came and made us take apart the hookah so they could drug test it on the spot. Then after the drug test came back clean the police left and the RA still confiscated the hookah because it was "possible paraphernalia". We got it back after about a week of talking to the resident life office but still were not allowed to keep it in the dorms. So definitely check if you are allowed to even keep it in the dorm.
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sloppy_Surgeon
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. As for it being allowed on campus, I went through the handbook and it made no mention of hookahs. I've been around campus and there are a couple really nice shady spots around one of my friends dorms not too far from mine.

And for those who asked, I'm going to the University of Louisville.
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

If you have a room mate see if he is cool with it, and just crack a window and smoke inside. That's is a bonus with the hookah's they actually smell good when you smoke them, most people will think you just have some air freshiner or something. Smoking areas are ok, but when you just want to unwind and relax, smoking by yourself or with a few friends in your own little area and without the harsh cigarettes ruining your session is what you need.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Haihookah
Hookah Newbie

people smoke hookahs almost everyday at my school i will be smoking everyday i have an on campus appartment and although i shouldnt smoke inside i will and outside on good days. so at least i dont have a lot of people asking me what im doing cause a lot of people do it. good times though. i leave tomorrow or should i say today cause its 2:33 am
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i go to a school where there are 2 lounges with a stones throw for all the freshmen dorms. people go smoke out it the park or around random places pretty often. but its very common here. and we even have a full fledged PD for our school (Virginia commonwealth university).

just have the shisha with you if your questioned and dont break any rules while your smoking so they dont have any reason to hassle you

as for smoking in the room, a friend did that, she never had any issues but honestly i wouldnt risk it if you are in a non smoking dorm

-matt
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

just smoke in your car
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
JtWo
Hookah Newbie

i think it would cause more trouble security saw big clouds of smoke coming from a car full of people. keep it on the safe side and just find a spot to smoke some shisha at
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoke1904 View Post
just smoke in your car
I don't think that's a good idea for me, especially with a 39" KM and no sunroof.
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

i go to the university of wisconsin and i ve had the cops called on me a few times while smoking hookah in front of campus buildings at like 3 am...they just showed up and were like "oh...hookah" and left...most cops around here are semi familiar...i got stopped by biker cops in a park in minneapolis once...but i just explained and showed them the shisha and they left me alone.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook