Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

hookah in Iran

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 20th, 2008, 02:38 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Default hookah in Iran

im currently writing this post on a verrrrrrrrry slow,old dialup connected computer in mashad, iran. most sites here are banned so i was so happy to see this wasnt!
anywayssss recently ive been going to a hookah lounge down the street called mehregan. beautiful place! honestly its is the most gorgeous hookah lounge i have ever seen. fountains in the middle with little goldfish in it, the ceiling is dome shaped with beautiful hand layed tile....it honestly is liken a shrine! apparently the guy that owns it(his name is mohsen) inherited it from his father and now works here and sleeps upstairs....
the only bad thing about hookah here is its harsh! i cough numerous times and when other people try it there used to it! and the smoke is thin here i would say almost like smoke from a cigarette...i dont know if its how the pack it or what...im tempted to ask mohsen if i can set up my own hookah but idk if itd seem rude...

i miss my KM! i wish i could smoke my KM with thick white clouds in this type of lounge....ive taken lots of pictures but dont have my cord here to upload pics so when i return back to the states in 11 days i will be sure to post pictures! this lounge puts all other lounges to shame!
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:30 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast
Default Re: hookah in Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpimp730 View Post
im currently writing this post on a verrrrrrrrry slow,old dialup connected computer in mashad, iran. most sites here are banned so i was so happy to see this wasnt!
anywayssss recently ive been going to a hookah lounge down the street called mehregan. beautiful place! honestly its is the most gorgeous hookah lounge i have ever seen. fountains in the middle with little goldfish in it, the ceiling is dome shaped with beautiful hand layed tile....it honestly is liken a shrine! apparently the guy that owns it(his name is mohsen) inherited it from his father and now works here and sleeps upstairs....
the only bad thing about hookah here is its harsh! i cough numerous times and when other people try it there used to it! and the smoke is thin here i would say almost like smoke from a cigarette...i dont know if its how the pack it or what...im tempted to ask mohsen if i can set up my own hookah but idk if itd seem rude...

i miss my KM! i wish i could smoke my KM with thick white clouds in this type of lounge....ive taken lots of pictures but dont have my cord here to upload pics so when i return back to the states in 11 days i will be sure to post pictures! this lounge puts all other lounges to shame!
Welcome to a real hookah lounge, with real tobacco!!! Over there it is going to be authentic, so don't expect that fake sugery SB flavor, nor the clouds made possible by some glycerin action. Traditional stuff tends to exclude the stuff that we are used to. I guess you could say its an acquired taste, and remember clouds are worthless
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

good to see you enjoying some narghille abroad.What have you been smoking?Brand? Type,moassell, tombak?
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

yeahh i know clouds are worthless larry but i still love em :P
and ronin i have no idea what the brand is...i know AF is banned here haha the arab countrys have banned export of AF into iran due to goverment bickering and political nonsense so its an iranian brand but im not sure what...i plan to buy some before i head back to the US just for souvenier.. but tonight i smoked lemonade but flavor like larry said is not what im used too its more of a cigarette mixed with lemon juice but the whole experience and getting out of america and seeing the culture of other countrys and experiencing their way of live is truly great...im seeing a new side of iran because last time i was here i was 9 years old and i was with my parents now im alone and seeing the teen life here...dont believe the media! iran is not how they show :P
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Thankfully we have had some samples of Iranian jurak and I enjoyed the hell out of it. However I smoked it the same as a cigar or briar pipe. Don't try to inhale too much, just enjoy the flavor. It was huge on flavor so I wasn't really worried about the cloud size.
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Is there any way to purchase this stuff from a vendor online?
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

Dude where are the pics? I want to seem these lounges, they sound awesome.
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

yeah pics would be sweet
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
yeahh i know clouds are worthless larry but i still love em :P
and ronin i have no idea what the brand is...i know AF is banned here haha the arab countrys have banned export of AF into iran due to goverment bickering and political nonsense so its an iranian brand but im not sure what...i plan to buy some before i head back to the US just for souvenier.. but tonight i smoked lemonade but flavor like larry said is not what im used too its more of a cigarette mixed with lemon juice but the whole experience and getting out of america and seeing the culture of other countrys and experiencing their way of live is truly great...im seeing a new side of iran because last time i was here i was 9 years old and i was with my parents now im alone and seeing the teen life here...dont believe the media! iran is not how they show :P
Interesting that AF would not be availiable in Iran. To the best of my knowledge, although there are political (not to mention religious) diferences between the(shia) Islamic republic and the (sunni) fiefdoms of the gulf, trade has remained robust.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I like Iran enough that I've vacationed there and i've had several business trips as well but i've never been to mashad. Like Syria and Lebanon Iran has tons of small, local brands of jurak, moassel and tombac but I can only get a few shipped to me from friends. Some of the smoking cafes they have are amazing in terms of food and drink quality. As it so happens I have another shipment of Iranian and Turkish jurak coming in and I may circulate samples here.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Interesting that AF would not be availiable in Iran. To the best of my knowledge, although there are political (not to mention religious) diferences between the(shia) Islamic republic and the (sunni) fiefdoms of the gulf, trade has remained robust.
The reason that AF can't be sold in Iran is a trademark battle between the Al Fakher Trading Company and an Iranian company that makes a moassel called Fakhur. The dispute is not a religious one. However, several of the Gulf states are American puppets and naturally they are not happy with the Islamic Republic. For the most part I think that my fellow Occidentals over state sectarian issues in the Middle East.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Yamin
Hookah Nut

I dont' mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I always buy my alfakher when I'm in Iran.... (2 weeks ago) So I'm assuming it can be sold? Considering its sold everywhere with Nakhla, Al Waha, and some afzal.....
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well my info on the legal thing is likely out of date but I know that recently there was all sorts of legal battling going on about name/trademark thing and that lots of talk about banning AF from the Iranian market was being bounced around.

In the end I guess I don't care what happens to AF (other then Soft Black) or Fakhur which although it's pretty good Iran has a bunch of great local brands that I would rather have then any mod product from the gulf states or the U.S.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

well currently here its not available...i mean yes there are some that are illegal that are being sold hush hush but its not openly available. my cousin who im staying with here told me that alot of the AF here is fake too so idk....im most likely going to buy some AF in the duty free shop in doha...i stay one night in doha and the duty free in the airport sells boxes of AF for really cheap! on my way here i was looking at the prod dates and it was july 2008 and while i was there it was august 4th so they come there fast....most likely its the new cut though =[
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

oh yeah and ill be back in the states in about a week and ill post pics and some vids =]
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I hope you got a bunch of little locally made moassel brands while you were there. Going to Iran and smoking AF/Nakhla/AW etc. is like going to France and eating at McDonalds.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I hope you got a bunch of little locally made moassel brands while you were there. Going to Iran and smoking AF/Nakhla/AW etc. is like going to France and eating at McDonalds.
good point hajo!! Why in the world would you be looking for AF in Iran?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
well currently here its not available...i mean yes there are some that are illegal that are being sold hush hush but its not openly available. my cousin who im staying with here told me that alot of the AF here is fake too so idk....im most likely going to buy some AF in the duty free shop in doha...i stay one night in doha and the duty free in the airport sells boxes of AF for really cheap! on my way here i was looking at the prod dates and it was july 2008 and while i was there it was august 4th so they come there fast....most likely its the new cut though =[
yeah we want to see.
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
good point hajo!! Why in the world would you be looking for AF in Iran?
haha yeah hajo that is very true lol.
i havent been smoking AF though...i dont honestly know what ive been smoking i just know the flavor...
before i leave though i plan to stock up on local brands and etc...
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

Nice post! thanks. I sometimes buy Ajami non-flavoured tobacco dry from Iran. It comes to us here in Israel from Jordan who buy it from Iran by way of Iraq. t is strong. Ask them to wash (rinse) yours once more since this weakens the harshness but not the taste.
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Yeah ill stock up on ALOT of local tobacco...anyone that ones to trade some good starbuzz for some local iranian tobacco pm me....i still havent tried starbuzz but im diein too!
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
dont believe the media! iran is not how they show :P

True man. Iran is not how they show. Iranians are very kind, peaceful people. Long live the republic of Iran.
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

ive been to iran twice in '99 and '01 remember my uncle was smoking ghallun (sp) and he let me take a few pulls but i was younger then. I was in Tehran and Yazd and I didn't see any hookah lounges, but I wasn't looking.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoke1904 View Post
ive been to iran twice in '99 and '01 remember my uncle was smoking ghallun (sp) and he let me take a few pulls but i was younger then. I was in Tehran and Yazd and I didn't see any hookah lounges, but I wasn't looking.
yeah i was here '01 as well and i dont remember any actual lounges but it was like the takht(wooden bed things) and usually at restaurants youd sit and strech your feet out while they brought your ghalyoun and chai...
now theres still that but also alot of lounges
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I like Yazd and was there on business about 5 or six months back and a great bergamont (used in Earl Grey and various Iranian teas) flavoured jurak at a very nice cafe. I like the North Western parts of the country the most and i've vacationed there. Like Syria Iran has literally dozens of brands of moassel and jurak that you can't get in the West and even more kinds of tombac.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook