Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Noticed something odd...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Noticed something odd...

I had lite (well started to lite) an Exotica coal the other day and had to stop and rush away to do something. Instead of leaving it, I dumped it whole into the kitchen sink, in a small bowl of water.

I then proceded to forget it was there for 4 days...

Yesterday when I saw it STILL in the bowl of water I was shocked... it was still whole (in the 2" stick section). I picked it up and nearly dropped the thing. Turns out the coal adsorbed ALOT of water - the coal was jelly like. A wiggly mass of black carbon that reeked to high heck...

This I thought was VERY strange - not the smell part, but rather the TURNING TO JELLY part. If I had stopped to think, I would have taken a picture instead of just tossing the whole mass into the trash, if felt nasty to hold (imagine cold dead fish that has solidified in it's own jelly)

Does anybody have a clue as to WHY the coal did this? Anybody ever seen or heard of a whole stick doing this before??
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: Noticed something odd...

We need to see vid of this! That is crazy!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Well, tonight I'll put another piece in the same bowl with water, see if it does the same thing. It's strange.... makes me wonder what is in an Exotica?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

ew what the hell?! doesn't sound "natural" to me....gotta try this with a coco nara and see what happens.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Coco's either dissolve or stay in a whole chunk, depending on how long they were lite before going into the water. I know, I've tried - wanted to see if they went the way of the Smiley Coco Coals (which do if left in the water for less than 1 hour, but are hard to relight - VERY HARD)
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

apparently ur coal has lots and lots of sulphur in it which dissolves in water easily, which A is unhealthy and B alters the taste badly. If you need to make sure, light one fully till it's red all around and inside then extinguish it with water, if you smell a bad smell (like a fart ), it has sulphur and this smell is sulphur oxides. In such case STOP using this coal immediately, as sulphur oxides are damaging to the lung (since these oxides + water vapor from the atmosphere or water in the vase may form driplets of Sulfurous/Sulfuric acid).
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i would be willing to bet its a combo of the fact that wood will get soft in water, the fact that its basically partially burned wood, and maybe what ever else was in the water
-matt
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Maybe the coal is stuck together with something like gelatin or corn starch? Or arrowroot (to stay natural..) ?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

should of lit up
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Maybe the coal is stuck together with something like gelatin or corn starch? Or arrowroot (to stay natural..) ?
your probably right. the coals aren't actually pieces of wood, but ground wood( we're assuming) that is held together by a bonding agent of some kind and pressed into the stick form. I've stated before that it would be nice to have a "contents" list for exoticas. This just increases my curiosity.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Yeap... the piece I put in water last night has swelled up a good bit and is soft and spongy already. Underneath the soft parts I can still feel harder places. It's probably the binding agent and the wood fibers, but still kinda creepy when it was all wiggly and jello like. I wonder what's in Exoticas that is "binding" them together?

The Egyptian - most QL's do have sulphur in them, most naturals don't (are aren't supposed to). Akhla's are QL's - explodie quiklites - LOL

matt - nothing else I added was in the water, just standard tap water.... but we all know what they add to Tap Water these days to make it safe for us to drink. I wonder if anything in that could be aidding, but I don't think it's the main cause of the "wiggly coal".
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii View Post
Yeap... the piece I put in water last night has swelled up a good bit and is soft and spongy already. Underneath the soft parts I can still feel harder places. It's probably the binding agent and the wood fibers, but still kinda creepy when it was all wiggly and jello like. I wonder what's in Exoticas that is "binding" them together?

The Egyptian - most QL's do have sulphur in them, most naturals don't (are aren't supposed to). Akhla's are QL's - explodie quiklites - LOL

matt - nothing else I added was in the water, just standard tap water.... but we all know what they add to Tap Water these days to make it safe for us to drink. I wonder if anything in that could be aidding, but I don't think it's the main cause of the "wiggly coal".
well chlorine is is very basic, given there is such a small amount but that stuff is not pretty (rusted a perfectly good utility knife i had cause i didnt rinse and dry it off after cutting open a bag of granular chlorine when i used to life guard... still pisses me off, that was a nice handle that got ruined, could care less about the blades. hell tap water ruined a second handle assembly i had cause i didnt dry it out after cleaning it)

not to mention all the pharmaceuticals that dont get cleaned out in the filtration

-matt
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

If you have well water there's lots of sulpher in it. I never relight my coals after they are put out in water. The sulpher water down here in fl is f'ing disgusting. Like rotten eggs. So gross.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook