Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Its tobacco, dammit!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Its tobacco, dammit!

Ive noticed throughout my time as a hookah smoker is that there are many folks that wish to deny that what they are doing is consuming a tobacco product. There have been times where online vendors have tried to skirt around the fact that "shisha" a tobacco product.... or at the very least not mention that the product does in fact contain tobacco.

I remember several years ago a youngster arguing with me that shisha was not tobacco, but fruit.

A certain online vendor that deals heavily on eBay even went as far as to misrepresent his product as herbal shisha and tobacco free. Come to find out he was peddling Nakhla as tobacco free shisha.

I wandered into Al Fakher Online today.... I was disappointed that there were no statements about the product containing tobacco at all....... in fact, when describing their own product.... they make up a fictional plant. The following is a quote from the site.

Quote:
Al Fakher Molasses
Al Fakher Molasses is a premium brand of flavored Molasses manufactured in United Arab Emirates. Al Fakher Molasses is the highest quality Molasses in the world market and is made from the highest grade of Virginia Molasses leaves and the finest European flavors. Al Fakher Molasses is renowned for its thick flavorful smoke lasting approximately 1 hours per bowl.
I dont know about you.... but to me that really smacks of skirting the tobacco issue..... either that or it was designed to be really misleading.

dont know what to think about that.

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Its tobacco, dammit!

tobacco has become a taboo, its bad for marketing.
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

The fact that it has only 0.04 % tar makes people who dont know about shisha them think its aslo tobacco free... I used to believe that 4-5 years ago when i started smoking my hookah.

Country of Manufacture: United Arab Emirates
Ingredients: Honey, Molasses, Glycerin
Traditional Flavors: Bahraini Apple, Black Grape, Rose, Strawberry
Exotic Flavors: Eskandarani Apple
Health Warning: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Age Restriction: Must be at least 18 years of age to purchase flavored tobacco products

This is a quote from southsmoke. Notice in the inglidients it doesnt mention it either. Although its not as harmful as smoking the tobaocco rolled ,its really misleading and sad that its on every single website
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:44 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

It is kinda misleading. Long ago, I was duped into thinking it was "tar and nictoine" free, but now I do know better. Smoking is smoking, tobacco is tobacco - dressing it up doesn't change what it is.

Kinda wish they would alter the lable to properly indicate what it contians, but i don't think they ever will. All this does is help fuel the fire that hookahing is generaly bad - the myths surrounding it and such not.
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Now, I always thought that shisha was tar free? Where "do" the tars come from? Coals? Foil? I am not trying to be a smartass, this is a legitimate question.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

From what I understand it's from inhaling a burnt material. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it's from the tobacco itself - I don't think it's "tar" per sec, but rather a tarry like substance that comes from burning the material. I could be wrong.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Tar refers to any DRY PARTICULATE that is in the smoke, teeeny tiny particles of matter.

Since what we are "smoking" is actually vapor and not true smoke, then the game changes slightly.

The old standard of Nicotine and tar levels almost become a moot point in judging the "risk" in smoking hookah.

We are breathing in glycerin vapor and flavoring.... as well as some of the stuff that has leached out of the tobacco into the glycerin. So the big question is, what effects of this vapor are there in the long term?

I dont think we really know. So far, all the research done has been performed by a bunch of anti-tobacco goons. Much of the research went to print without scrutiny of peers. Some of the claims are pretty outrageous.

Someone, one of these days is going to try and do a proper study without trying to send a "big message" with the results.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM
hobohookah
Vendor

I wonder if the word tobacco is avoided in order to skirt taxes? I know a lot of ethnic retailers get a lot of stuff shipped from home, including food, hookah pipes, cds, etc. I wonder if the lack of tobacco acknowledgment allows them to claim molasses as some sort of food stuff instead of tobacco, which would allow them to pay less taxes.

Just a theory.
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

The researches that were done were using unrealistic temperature on the shisha (600-650 degrees celcius) so they were really burning the tobacco up. Using two well lit pieces of natural wood coals would never exceed 200 degrees celcius. The shisha never reaches that temp due to the sceen so it has a temp of about 150-160 degrees which means the glycerin is evaporating and burning of the tobacco begins only when glycerin is completelly evaporated. And thats why wet tobacco like AF is able to last for over 2 hours.
What you inhale during a properly set up hookah session is VAPOUR from the Glycerin and not smoke from the tobacco and if you blow the smoke hardly on your hand you feel it wet cz its the vapour condensing.
Now, stating that cz its there is smoke there is no tar is wrong. The tobacco , as i said before , slowly burns so there is a little tar (maybe 0.000005% of the smoke you inhale)
There are no proper researches done on hookahs and its a shame. Thats because only a hookah insider could make a legimate research or scientists with the help of a person that knows a lot about hookahs

ShisHaholiC s1ozz
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook