Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Coconare - Overhyped

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 27th, 2008, 04:49 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006
Default Coconare - Overhyped

I've been hearing how great coconaras are pretty much whoever i ask so i decided to order 5 boxes of them, so i have a decent stash of them, but i just dont like them, they seem to change the taste of my shisha and take way too long to light, they are geat compared to most coals on the maket, but personally i think he exoticas are way better, they dont add flavour to even the mellowest flavour such as AF Berry or Mango, and when i used the cocnara's i could barely taste the berry or mango,

From now on exoticas all the way
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: Coconare - Overhyped

I agree with you. CocoNara's got a big push when the whole Exotica bad batch incident happened. All of a sudden the people that used to love Exotica's ran to CocoNara's, and some never looked back. I have tried Exotica's and CocoNara's and I prefer Exotica's. CocoNara's ash is weird, kinda like sand. Also I hate having to flip a coal so it doesn't start going out and giving a bad taste to my shisha tobacco. For my Egyptian clay bowl the heat they give off is either not enough or too much. 1 coal gives wispy smoke that's barely hot enough and 2 coals scorches the tobacco in 10 minutes. I do want to say that I'm still using Exotica's that were purchased from the original batch. When I run out of this precious supply I will wander around looking for a new coal. My first purchase will be Exotica's and if they aren't as good as I remember I will look for something other than the over priced, over hyped CocoNara's.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:32 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i bought both when i first got my rig and ya the ccns seem to take 1.5-2 times the time to light and 1.5 as much compared to 1/4s of exoticas. only advantage is that the exoticas, even the good one, some times break apart (CCNs just let a few of the bits go here and there so idk) having to flip all the time really put me off of them and the fact that they go out if you take them off and let them sit where as my exoticas stay lit and just smolder so i can add them back as needed

also the exoticas i think give better control on how much you can out on.

dont get me wrong the CCNs are high quality and all just not what i like, maybe i didnt give them a good enough try but they just seem like a pita for me
-matt
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

I like them both actually. I prefer exoticas because of lighting time though. You probably shouldn't have ordered five boxes of cocos though, although now have some fun stuff to trade.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I know i'm gonna get the "Here goes MrB, the coco nara fan boy!" from Dunkel, but I don't have these problems. As for lighting, if you have a coil stove put a wind cover over the coals. They'll heat fully in about 5 minutes or less. I used to use 2 coals and a wind cover towards the end on my standard egyptian and it was perfect. and taste?! you gotta be kidding me. People say they taste something from both CCN's and EX's...I personally taste nothing from both, none of my friends taste anything, people at parties dont taste anything, the owners of the hookah lounge dont taste anything.....I brought them CCN's and EX's to sample....and they picked CCN's to use exclusively. I'm not gonna go into cost because now with ******* Coals out on the market, CCN's are actually cheaper if you buy 3 boxes. Anyway, i'm just gonna rant and rant and rant about this forever so i'll stop with this next sentence because I see it happening a lot. Don't be one of those people that have ONE bad session with a certain type of tobacco or anything else and damn it to hell saying its the worst brand out there.

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Wraggot
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Wraggot

If you don't like your coconaras, feel free to send them to me
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post

I know i'm gonna get the "Here goes MrB, the coco nara fan boy!" from Dunkel, but I don't have these problems. As for lighting, if you have a coil stove put a wind cover over the coals. They'll heat fully in about 5 minutes or less. I used to use 2 coals and a wind cover towards the end on my standard egyptian and it was perfect. and taste?! you gotta be kidding me. People say they taste something from both CCN's and EX's...I personally taste nothing from both, none of my friends taste anything, people at parties dont taste anything, the owners of the hookah lounge dont taste anything.....I brought them CCN's and EX's to sample....and they picked CCN's to use exclusively. I'm not gonna go into cost because now with ******* Coals out on the market, CCN's are actually cheaper if you buy 3 boxes. Anyway, i'm just gonna rant and rant and rant about this forever so i'll stop with this next sentence because I see it happening a lot. Don't be one of those people that have ONE bad session with a certain type of tobacco or anything else and damn it to hell saying its the worst brand out there.
What can I say other than MrBungle really loves nuts!
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post

I'm not gonna go into cost because now with ******* Coals out on the market, CCN's are actually cheaper if you buy 3 boxes. Anyway, i'm just gonna rant and rant and rant about this forever so i'll stop with this next sentence because I see it happening a lot.
It usually devolves into an argument reminiscent of the neverending musclecar wars (Ford vs. GM vs. Mopar).

I love my Exoticas, but I'm also trying John's coals...which are pretty darn good, too.

Just go with what suits you best.

Old August 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
kingboyb
Banned

This is a debate that rages on and on and I have a feeling that its not going away anytime soon. Personally, I think that CCN's deserve MOST of the hype they get. However: ******* Coals are now on the market. I'll be doing a review of the naturals and including some side by side comparison information using CCN's, just like I did with CH vs 3 Kings on the instants. Stay Tuned Chickens!
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Screw em both, go with the CH coals, you'll be glad you did!
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I like the Exoticas, but I have to cut them, therefore I have been using Coconara's lately and really enjoy them!!! I think they ash great! They work great for me, send me your coconara's!

I agree with you Mr. Bungle!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i agree with coconaras being overrated. after i was given a sample, i couldn't believe people were so caught up in this. exoticas are 4.99 locally and coconaras are $15 + shipping?

the thing i hated the most is that it affected the taste (exoticas are no different, but compared to the golden canary jap coals, i could taste weirdness). they were more or less easy to light for me, i threw them on the stove then came by whenenver i remembered and they were ready, i dont remember them going out either ... but that taste thing killed it for me.
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Cocos are okay coals...But they take too long to light and they cost too much. They ash nicely though and they last a long time

Why should I buy a box of 84 pieces of CCNs +shipping when I could get almost FOUR boxes worth of exoticas locally instead with that money?

Exoticas are great imo, the only thing I hate is that sometimes, the coals splits and breaks. But, I don't mind too much, I'm paying $5 for a box so breakage of the coals is fine with me :P

But, Johns natural coconut coals are pretty great too! They are almost just like CCN, except they come with FIFTY more coals than ccns in every box and they are cheaper too.
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Mob mentality, groupthink, sheeple, etc.

I find it peculiar that when I shed unflattering light on Exotica and Coco-nara coals, the thread was the exact opposite of what this one has become.
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

so would I have the "mob mentality" when I say that ******* Hookah coals > CCN's?

I used to swear by them (since I hated the fact that exoticas were hit or miss) BUT the QLs form CH are a LOT better than CCN's, and I have a whole box of CH naturals I havent even touched :O
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Underhyped, overhyped, it doesn't matter anymore.
There's ************* coals now. Cheaper, and don't take as long.
I need to get some to confirm their greatness though
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

CH Naturals are better. Then exoticas, then everything else after that
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I aint saying they are that bad after 1 or 2 sessoins, its that whenever i smoke a mellow flavour that aint got much taste, i cant taste anything from the coco, but can with the exoticas, but i gotta say with the more flavourful flavours like AF bubblegum, Grenedine they do work better with coco then exoticas,

Mit just try all my shisha with the 2 and c wot i like better with wot, and when i run out il get some CH quick lights from john
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Wraggot
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Wraggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
I like the Exoticas, but I have to cut them, therefore I have been using Coconara's lately and really enjoy them!!! I think they ash great! They work great for me, send me your coconara's!

I agree with you Mr. Bungle!
I got first dibs, Sam
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
I've been hearing how great coconaras are pretty much whoever i ask so i decided to order 5 boxes of them, so i have a decent stash of them, but i just dont like them, they seem to change the taste of my shisha and take way too long to light, they are geat compared to most coals on the maket, but personally i think he exoticas are way better, they dont add flavour to even the mellowest flavour such as AF Berry or Mango, and when i used the cocnara's i could barely taste the berry or mango,

From now on exoticas all the way
I find coconaro to me the most "natural coal". If you wanna put it to the test do this, take your exotica coal and heat it up till glowing then put it out.. tell me about what you smell. With coconara do the same thing and tell me what you smell. The bottom line is coconaras are more natural then exotica.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post
so would I have the "mob mentality" when I say that ******* Hookah coals > CCN's?
Of course not!

Call me biased, but it's an astounding product.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
Of course not!

Call me biased, but it's an astounding product.
how can something that in indeed a FACT be biased LOL
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Call me biased all you want but the truth shall be told!

******* Hookah Coals > Everything Else

That's all I've got to say about that!
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

^^^ the man speaks the truth!
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

if anyone is curious about cost, here's the math. ******* natural coals with shipping cost 19 cents a piece. If you order coco naras from their site(cheapest), they're 21 cents a piece. If you order the 3x84pcs it comes out to 18 cents a piece. If you cut exoticas into 1/4's you get 100 pieces per box. From the sites I checked, a box shipped averaged around $17. That would make it 17 cents a piece.

******* Naturals: $0.19 pc.
CocoNara: $0.21 pc./$0.18 pc.(3x84pc. special)
Exotica: $0.17 pc.

Once you break it down, I don't see how people can complain about how "over priced" coco naras are.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook