Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookahs and Starbucks

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
blairwitchhooka
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy Hookahs and Starbucks

My wife and I just had a rather nasty experience at our local Starbucks this evening. While at the franchise on the other side of town...we had seen several people smoking their hookah pipes, not bothering anyone and not being bothered...we decided to go to the Starbucks closest to where we live, drink coffee and smoke our hookah outside.
Not long after we arrived, one of the Barrista's came out saying that a customer from the drive thru window had complained, saying that that was not regular shisha tobacco in our pipe. We took out our marlette shisha and let him see that what we were doing was perfectly legal. He then, in the nicest of tones, asked us to put our hookah away before he had to call the police.
I do not understand this. We weren't harming anyone, nor were we doing anything illegal. Just a rant on what others can do to peaceful people such as my wife and I. Feel free to post your own experiences. And, thank you for making us feel welcome here.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Hookahs and Starbucks

I wonder what the police would have done
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

so is it really illegal to smoke hookah out in public?
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

dont think so, but then again, they could get you for tresspassing if you were asked to leave but didnt...then again,. you are a customer so IDK
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

when they tell you to leave just smoke right outside their property...i have not seen/heard of any laws that prohibits smoking hookah in public. the cops would show up but i seriously doubt they can do anything
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
RicoSuave646
Hookah Nut

the cops could try and pull some crap about it being considered "NHT paraphernalia" and try to take it. i think i read somewhere on here that someone got their rig jacked by cops when they smoked it on the beach for the same reason.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM
hotcloak
Hookah Nut

what about in parks?
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Smoking anywhere remotely in public is practically banned in nearly everywhere i've heard of. I've been bitched and moaned at by little minicops in bicycles for smoking a cigarette in a park on an uninhabited soccer field. And the law doesn't matter when it comes to police. They will tell you what they want in order to seem like the good guy, and if you don't follow what they say, they're allowed to be as huge of unfair jackasses as they'd like to be. You're always wrong with the law. Always.

It's the world we live in, an ugly one at that. Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM
dwicker21
Hookah Nut

Really?
i've never had any issue with smoking in public places
then again, mine usually consists of the sidewalk outside of my apt complex, where cops drive by at least 6 times per bowl. i've never been stopped and questioned about it, and i usually look them straight in the eye as they pass.

Others at The Ohio State University smoke their hookahs on campus benches or in our "oval" courtyard, and it's never been a problem. This is actually how i came to learn about hookah, by a gigantic 12 man circle on the sidewalk i used everyday to go from class to my apartment.

A friend of mine had his taken away by a cop, and the cop broke it, and he took his case to court and ended up getting a check from the state for like $100 due to damaged property.

Private property and business owners are a completely seperate ordeal. you have to do what they want while you're on their property, or you have to stay off, that's the law. if you're asked to leave, just go somewhere else, but state owned parks and public access places should be completely legal to smoke at

Last edited by Dunkel; August 29th, 2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Removed NHT references
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:45 AM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

wheres the paradise where you can set up your KM at some random coffee shop and the employees approach you looking like they are gonna tell you to put it away but instead they ask to hit it? ahh we only see mirages.. the dreams will never come true
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:15 AM
JtWo
Hookah Newbie

certain starbucks wont let you simply because some customers wont know what it is and will assume its for something else. if a barista tells you to put it away, you probably should.
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

got asked to leave coffee bean today after smoking there for 5 years
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Bulldozer
Hookah Newbie

Must have been a lame Starbucks I bring my to the one i work at after all most every meeting we have for use afterwards.
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

you can get nabbed for disturbing the peace but once the person who has complained leaves you are no longer disturbing the peace but some times cops will tell you not to do it again but they really dont have any legal base to do so.

since it is an establishment they can do what they want, same thing with restaurants that allow smoking but dont allow pipes or cigars.

-matt
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
kingboyb
Banned

I hate to say it, but between the unwanted attention and public ignorance, smoking hookah in public is practially impossible nowadays...
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
churlz
Hookah Nut

Sounds like the drive-thru customer was the real antagonist in this situation.
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift3d View Post
Smoking anywhere remotely in public is practically banned in nearly everywhere i've heard of. I've been bitched and moaned at by little minicops in bicycles for smoking a cigarette in a park on an uninhabited soccer field. And the law doesn't matter when it comes to police. They will tell you what they want in order to seem like the good guy, and if you don't follow what they say, they're allowed to be as huge of unfair jackasses as they'd like to be. You're always wrong with the law. Always.

It's the world we live in, an ugly one at that. Sorry to hear about your experience.

That happens almost all the time here in Washington. We have this stupid policy designed around a "Smoke-free Washington". Any public location, parks included, are smoke free. I can't light up my hookah in public without being seen as a criminal.
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

man, i'd wait for them to call the cops and just continue smoking - it shouldnt be a problem at all, especially outside.

btw, to hell w/ starbucks, forget those big franchises man - im sure you wouldnt have had a problem at a local independent coffee shop.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

i smoked my e-cig in starbucks, and in MA it is illegal to use tobacco inside a public place. however when the people there told me i could not, i told them to fuck off because i was within the bounds of the MA state law, and explained it to them, it was priceless.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

screw the general population most people are afraid of what they dont know.... yet again ignorance is bliss for thoughs in it,
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
blairwitchhooka
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the support everyone. We did end up putting away our hookah and left to avoid further trouble. I just didn't understand why the cops were even mentioned? My wife explained to the guy that it was perfectly legal in our state to smoke anything so long as you were outside and that calling the cops would do nothing but aggrivate everyone there and decrease their business(my wife is a great talker). But, we went ahead and put out the coal and left. It's one Coffee Shop we won't be returning to!
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
blairwitchhooka
Hookah Newbie

Red face Re: Hookahs and Starbucks

Thanks for the support everyone. We did end up putting away our hookah and left to avoid further trouble. I just didn't understand why the cops were even mentioned? My wife explained to the guy that it was perfectly legal in our state to smoke anything(legal) so long as you were outside and that calling the cops would do nothing but aggrivate everyone there and decrease their business(my wife is a great talker). But, we went ahead and put out the coal and left. It's one Coffee Shop we won't be returning to!
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
DYINGsucks
Hookah Newbie

i work at walmart... and ive asked managers before if i could bring my hookah into the smoke room, they didnt seem to have a problem with it but because not many people are "educated" when it comes to hookahs they assume its for drugs i was told i couldnt. ppl just need to get it through their heads that its no different then smoking tobacco from a pipe, or a cigarette, sadly i dont think that'll ever come. whenever i tell someone i have a hookah the first thing they ask is if i smoke **** out of it, it gets annoying after a while
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
holeyguy66
Hookah Newbie

you cant even smoke anywhere in public here in shreveport louisiana unless its at an event that serves beer what since is that. but hey this is the same state that our last gov. made us look all stupid. i have been horrased by bike cops for smokin a cig when i smoked them walkin down the park. yes people need to ubderstand what a hookah is and its the true whacky tabbaky smokers that ruin it for the hookah sorry if i wasnt supposed to say that. i get the looks all the time when i show people pics of my hookah and they ask what i smoke in it assuming its illegal substaces.
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

and my friend from Louisiana told me the cops dont mind roughing ppl up there, especially during Mardi Gras LOL
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook