Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Thicker smoke (revisited)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Default Thicker smoke (revisited)

Hey guys,

I'm new here, been smoking hookah for about a year now. I posted an introduction on the welcome thread also.

I had a few questions that I don't think have been answered directly through the search function yet, so here it goes.

I can get good flavor, and decent smoke, but never the density that I really want occasionally for just having fun, blowing rings, etc. It seems that I always get the thickest smoke after the bowl has been fully heated up, maybe about 20-30 minutes, right when it's on the border of being harsh. I always seem to have that fine line of getting thick smoke, and then the bowl getting slightly harsh, which might be normal...?? I think I'm more sensitive to harsh smoke, which is probably why I can't get, or should I say aren't willing to get thicker smoke at the price of the shisha getting harsh.

My setup right now is a KM 40" Exotica (but I should be breaking in my Nour Syrian if it comes today), KM hose (or homemade Lowe's hoses) Starbuzz 80% of the time otherwise AF usually, small Tangiers phunnel bowl, 3 ******* hookah naturals, and a spacer. I use a small spacer in the middle of the bowl (similar to the scali mod turned upside down, I found an old aluminum drawer knob that fit perfectly) so my coals don't "drift" to the middle, and it keeps them equally separated around the edge of the bowl for a more consistent heat I think. My foil pattern is one sheet of heavy alum foil, with two circles at the edges, small-ish holes. I tried using cold water, ice, etc. but never really noticed much of a difference so I went back to just room temperature.

It may just be that I prevent myself from getting thicker smoke because I really don't like the smoke being harsh at all, even the slightest bit. I guess my main question is, the harshness of the smoke is different for everyone, but can you truly get thick clouds without it getting the SLIGHTEST bit harsh? (Phenom, awesome videos by the way.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Roadie; September 3rd, 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Thicker smoke (revisited)

Ive found that when the coals start to die down that it doesnt create enough heat to to provide big clouds....and that the smoke becomes thin and harsh. As long as the shisha inst taking on a scorched taste, and it is harsh and thin...add a little more coal.

I take and break all my QL's in half just for this purpose....I can add a little more without putting too much heat into play.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster View Post
Ive found that when the coals start to die down that it doesnt create enough heat to to provide big clouds....and that the smoke becomes thin and harsh. As long as the shisha inst taking on a scorched taste, and it is harsh and thin...add a little more coal.

I take and break all my QL's in half just for this purpose....I can add a little more without putting too much heat into play.
Interesting. Harsh for me is when I get to the point where I can't take a decent, long hit because it irritates my throat. I was thinking it was from too much heat, you think it could also be from not enough heat? I've tried anywhere from two coals broken up in halves and placing them around the bowl, to 4 coals evenly spaced. I've also tried more holes to get some fresh air to mix with the heat, or just having holes directly under the coal. They both work, but neither gives me consistent results throughout any length of time. My main problem is finding a setup that works throughout the bowl and managing the heat.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Falhini
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Falhini

Maybe try poking another set of holes in the foil so the shisha can get a little more heat. I normally poke 3 sets of circles into my foil during my setup.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhini View Post
Maybe try poking another set of holes in the foil so the shisha can get a little more heat. I normally poke 3 sets of circles into my foil during my setup.
I've tried 3, but wasn't sure if I was getting more heat, or letting in more fresh air which meant less heat. I think I'll go back to 3 circles, and 4 coals. I know it sounds like alot, but it seems that when I have 4 coals around the edges it distributes the heat better across more shisha, but doesn't burn it. Another thing, I tend to pack the shisha very low so it's away from the foil, but still loosely. I find that it always gets harsh when it's too close to the foil. I also make sure the foil is very tight and doesn't sag. Would not enough shisha cause problems too?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Probably not, try adding ice to the base and really cool water and add a wind cover, it always makes my smoke more thick, and if it gets harsh with the windcover, take off some coals.

you could try making a apple bowl instead of using your normal bowl, cos whenever i use one nearly all the time lool), i can add as much coal as i want and it never seems to get harsh and the smokes is as big as the phenoms
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Ah success!!!! Ok, here's what's working for me (at the moment.)

Mya Bambino, Tangiers small phunnel, Starbuzz Marlette, 4 CH natural coals on the outer edge with spacer in the middle. I packed the bowl as loose as possible, just up to the inside rim. BUT, I packed down the edges a little bit to give some extra space so the shisha doesn't burn, and I used 3 rows of holes in the foil with fewer holes the closer I worked in towards the center. Working great so far. Not harsh at all, loads of thick smoke. Thanks for all the replies, I'll be using this setup from now on. Cheers!!!!!!

Here are some pics.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
zbanu
Hookah Nut

4 coals? u should try 3 and rotate man
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

or maybe two and a wind cover, it saves you from using the extra coal thats not really needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbanu View Post
4 coals? u should try 3 and rotate man
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Yeah, I've tried a windcover but it gets way too hot. Also, it won't fit with my phunnel, even the large cover. Once I get this perfected I'll go back an try 3, maybe even 2. I've got about 6 or 7 boxes of coals so I'm good for now lol. Thx.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
GuitarmanST
Hookah Newbie

Are things still going well for ya buddy
Im going thru the same delema, a few days ago i hit a SWEET SPOT! thought i finally had it, and then... Down the gutter my idea goes the 2nd time i fire it up... Ah .. AHH.. Ah boooooooooooooo lol
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanST View Post
Are things still going well for ya buddy
Im going thru the same delema, a few days ago i hit a SWEET SPOT! thought i finally had it, and then... Down the gutter my idea goes the 2nd time i fire it up... Ah .. AHH.. Ah boooooooooooooo lol
Yeah so far so good. I can't get mine to work very well without some decent space between the foil and shisha. With 4 coals, it seems to have a more uniform heat across ALL of the shisha, but doesn't burn it anywhere. I hope you get it back, good luck.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Vegasdrummer
Hookah Newbie

Another technique I found helpful with phunnel bowls, is to take all the shisha you are going to use and put it one a surface and separate everything. Pick it up in your hands and loosen it up. Fluff it if you will. Than you can mix really well, plus sometimes I find myself using a little less shisha. For some reason this helps me get bigger more consistent clouds.
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdrummer View Post
Another technique I found helpful with phunnel bowls, is to take all the shisha you are going to use and put it one a surface and separate everything. Pick it up in your hands and loosen it up. Fluff it if you will. Than you can mix really well, plus sometimes I find myself using a little less shisha. For some reason this helps me get bigger more consistent clouds.
That's exactly what I found too. I always try to make it as loose as possible but still keep it as far away from the foil as possible. I have problems with it getting harsh by using too much shisha all the way to the rim. If I'm away from home, driving, etc I'll use my bowl/windcover combo with only one coal in the middle and very little shisha at the bottom of the bowl. It works great, it's safe too as the coals can't fall out.
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

ok first your using SB in a phunnel bowl. ive found this non effective as SB is usually not that juicy. second it might be cuz you have an extremely tall KM lol dont get me wrong i Love km i just got my 35 inch carnival and it smokes like a dream just try packin your SB in a different bowl and watch your heat.
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashow69 View Post
ok first your using SB in a phunnel bowl. ive found this non effective as SB is usually not that juicy. second it might be cuz you have an extremely tall KM lol dont get me wrong i Love km i just got my 35 inch carnival and it smokes like a dream just try packin your SB in a different bowl and watch your heat.
Actually, I've found just the opposite. Starbuzz is just about the juiciest out there aside from AF. Yeah I've used anywhere from my Bambino to my Exotica and it's the same results. I'm experimenting with different bowl techniques, thanks.
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Hmmm, the juiciest i've seen yet was Layalina, then a few select flavors of AF.
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
GuitarmanST
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liszt View Post
Hmmm, the juiciest i've seen yet was Layalina, then a few select flavors of AF.
Im with the SB comment.. Juiciest stuff ive seen to date, Mr. Drippy!
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

juicy doesn't always mean good. if its just added food coloring its not going to enhance the smoke. too much glycerin is also bad; makes it taste like shit
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

soo yeah glad to hear everything is workin out but that hookah is mad tiny its easy to get harsher smoke with a smaller stem.. you should look into somthing a little bigger if you can like a syrian they smoke like a dream.. but once again glad to hear you got everything worked out..
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
soo yeah glad to hear everything is workin out but that hookah is mad tiny its easy to get harsher smoke with a smaller stem.. you should look into somthing a little bigger if you can like a syrian they smoke like a dream.. but once again glad to hear you got everything worked out..
Yeah I've heard so many theories on the smaller vs. larger issue. I've found that it really doesn't make a difference for me. It's all heat management at the bowl, not how long the stem is. The longer stem only gives a slightly cooler smoke. I've got a Bambino, 28", 30", and 40" and haven't really noticed much of a difference between them all. (as long as they are airtight). I'm still experimenting though, mainly between using the 4 coals, and using 2 or 3 and breaking them up to conserve coals.

Here's a question maybe someone can answer, if I have a large enough reservoir in the vase that is far enough away from the port to stop water from entering, wouldn't it be better to have the water as high as possible above the stem to cool the smoke? Wouldn't it allow the stem to get ice cold, and the smoke to stay in the water a little longer? Just a thought.......
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
GuitarmanST
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
juicy doesn't always mean good. if its just added food coloring its not going to enhance the smoke. too much glycerin is also bad; makes it taste like shit
very true, knowing i have no funnel, im beginning to appreciate the NONE Slip n Slide Juicy' shish' that everyone is craving. makes a sloppy mess, and all the flavor is washed down the stem, might as well add some Oyster sauce to thicken it up... mMMMMMmmmm
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook