Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Glass bowl "Shisha saver" NEED HELP!!!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 4th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Vegasdrummer
Hookah Newbie

Default Glass bowl "Shisha saver" NEED HELP!!!

So I tried two bowls now with this bowl and I have to say that I am not very impressed, or I am screwing something up. I have done Egyptian bowls for a while now, and just recently seemed to have gotten the hang of Phunnel bowls and I wanted to try something new for my solo sessions.

I just tried some SB cherry with one CH QL and it really sucked, so I added a wind cover.. still sucked, so I added another QL and it got better, but it just never seemed to get right, it all had little flavor. Plenty of smoke, but little flavor.

Two Ch QL's on a glass bowl with regular foil and standard egyptian hole pattern, through a 38" KM chiller.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:17 AM
tzighy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to tzighy
Default Re: Glass bowl "Shisha saver" NEED HELP!!!

try changing the shisha as well. my nakhla cherry went down the drain when i forgot it out once
Old September 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Glass bowls are not only a piece of art, but it's almost an artform to smoke from them right. Typically you'll want less heat as the glass heats up fast and stays hot longer. Try underpacking the bowl (specially w/ SB which sometimes can be heat sensitive) and using 1 CH QL and the windcover.
Old September 4th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I hope these bowls don't prove out to be as awful as other glass bowls. I have yet to have a decent session from a glass bowl. They heat up way to fast and scorch the tobacco.
Old September 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

As Dunk said, I have heard peeps having lots of problems with glass bowls which is why I haven't invested in one. I do, however, need to purchase another bowl and I'd like to try out the small brown Chinese phunnel. But as for the shisha saver bowl, I'll pass
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

its not that glass in general is a bad material its that they used pyrex for it. pyrex is "hard" glass. they heat it up slam it in a mould and then by the time they pull it out it has stiffened up. as apposed to soft glass which is what is used for hot glass work (glass blowing and the like) that will stay soft for 5 mins.

im not to sure about glass cooling slower than ceramics since normally glass has about the same thermal what ever as aluminum.

for a "shisha saver" bowl get one of the tea cup bowls from h-s. you will get 45 mins tops, may be able to push it to an hour if you have a very long burning shisha but its tinny.

-matt
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

not in hand glass blowing, it hardens way to quickly. the type of glass pyrex is, is used for lamp working. my glass instructor was just explaining this to us yesterday. pyrex if you melt it, by the time you are able to work it it has hardened, the heat has to be kept on it (thus the reason its used in lamp working so it can be formed, removed from heat, and its shape kept after a very short period of time so you can move on to the next bend)

just because glass is hard and wont break doesnt mean its pyrex either, it just depends how it is tempered, yes pyrex is resilient but it is not as workable either. the other glass bowls on the market and the screens appear to be softglass due to al the decorations on them with the colored glass

-matt

Last edited by Dunkel; September 4th, 2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Edited to remove quote of deleted post
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Vegasdrummer
Hookah Newbie

wow. very good ideas. very helpfull. I think it just isnt a good bowl. FarBeyondDriven said it best. I am going to just buy a small chinese phunnel, or a vortex.

which one is better? I have a medium Tangiers phunnel THAT I LOVE!!!

but I need a smaller one for when only I smoke. I dont like scalli mods. I just want a small phunnel. The question is.... How small is the small chinese one from CH?
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
girlgeek
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to girlgeek

I love the glass shisha saver for a solo smoke. I find the heat management pretty easy with an old smiley bowl screen. I love it so much that I'll probably pick up another one (bf broke the first one).
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook