Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

CH quick light vs. CH naturals vs. coconara

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default CH quick light vs. CH naturals vs. coconara

Last night I tried out all both of the CH coals and coconara side by side.
All three were on the same bowl and this is my opinion of each.

I lit both of the naturals together on the stove and removed them together once both were well lit. They seemed to take about the same time to be fully lit.

Once those two were on the bowl I went outside and lit the quick light. Took next to no time but kills with the smell. Fireworks. As stated many times before do it outside or with amazing ventilation. The flames are not necessary but do help the coal light faster. If you give a quick puff of air you can blow them out and let the coal smolder like a more conventional quick light.

I could not easily tell which of the coals burned hotter because they were all on the same bowl

For duration the quick light wins.
They are a bit bigger than the other two coals and that is to make room for the ignition compound that is incorporated in the coal. Perhaps they were compensating for the lost mass by making the coals bigger and overshot. I am ok with it. Makes for a nice long lasting coal.

For ash it a tie between the two naturals.
Easily ashed and nice heat.
The quick light has an odd ash. It stick to the coal a bit more than the other coals. It is sometimes very difficult to remove from the coal and requires a little scraping.

The ash of both CH coals has a sandy texture that has been discussed. I see no issues with this and take it as an opportunity to scour my ash tray every time I clean it.

Cost goes to the CH coals.
coconara are expensive. Both CH coals are cheaper and give you more coal in each box. Both CH coals are the same price. The difference in the number of coals in each is offset by the increased duration and the QL feature.

My vote, between these three coals, goes to the CH quick light.
great duration and heat
convenient ignition
Less waste of energy through gas or electric bill.
The ash is a minor inconvenience that is far outweighed by the benefits.
no imparted flavor or harshness
Very cost efficient compared to other similar coals
There are cheaper options but I believe these are worth the cost and then some.

I hope this helps out.

Last edited by kalutika; September 5th, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: CH quick light vs. CH naturals vs. coconara

i got a sample of the CH quicklights and i m in love ...
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

great review i was deciding which to buy over the CH coals either the naturals or quicklights, cos im gonna get like 6 boxes i wanna make sure they are the right ones, any one out they prefer the naturals over the QL's, and do either of them have any taste during smoking

thanks for any responce
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
great review i was deciding which to buy over the CH coals either the naturals or quicklights, cos im gonna get like 6 boxes i wanna make sure they are the right ones, any one out they prefer the naturals over the QL's, and do either of them have any taste during smoking

thanks for any responce
no tastes from either for me. Definitely worth the investment even if you're in the UK. i love the naturals, but thats because i like using the stove to get it lit. the qls are great but i like to swtich back and forth. we actually brought some down to a hookah bar and the owners loved them. they compared the naturals to jap coals but i much rather prefer CH for price and reliability.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznfamous View Post
no tastes from either for me. Definitely worth the investment even if you're in the UK. i love the naturals, but thats because i like using the stove to get it lit. the qls are great but i like to swtich back and forth. we actually brought some down to a hookah bar and the owners loved them. they compared the naturals to jap coals but i much rather prefer CH for price and reliability.

thanks mite go half half and get 3 boxes of each
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

If I have the option I like to start off with naturals and switch to QL. My bowls last a very long time so I go through multiple sets of coals and waiting for naturals every time would lag the sessions.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
billyy
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the review, I wasn't sure which ones to get either the QL or Naturals. I think i've made my mind up and go with the QL's! thanks.
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
kingboyb
Banned

CH coals are the best in thier category imho. QL vs Natty to me would be more of a personal preference, as the QLs and the Nattys seem to behave identically in my experience. Its a pain for me to get the ol coil burner out and wait for any Natty to roast.
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

I would always recommend naturals over QLs unless u r outdoors without a stove
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
zbanu
Hookah Nut

I bought one of each, naturals for when I'm at home and quicklights for when i'm smoking outside.. I still havent received them tho so I cant give my 2cent
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
I would always recommend naturals over QLs unless u r outdoors without a stove
I agree highly with that comment, but ******* Hookah coals are unlike any other QL coal on the market. They are indeed QL's, but they are natural coals in the convenience of a QL. They don't affect the taste like most QL's and they are just amazing. I'll definitely be purchasing several more kilos in my next purchase from CH
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
I agree highly with that comment, but ******* Hookah coals are unlike any other QL coal on the market. They are indeed QL's, but they are natural coals in the convenience of a QL. They don't affect the taste like most QL's and they are just amazing. I'll definitely be purchasing several more kilos in my next purchase from CH
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think if I would have known then what I know now, I would have just bought 2 boxes of QLs instead of getting 1 of each
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook