Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Watch your exoticas closely

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy
Default Watch your exoticas closely

The is the letter i wrote to Exotic Imports USA today after having a really bad experiance with a set of exoticas and then more scary instances with them while cutting them up.

To whom it may concern:

I just wanted to tell you about my recent bad experience with your coals. Now mind you these were my favorite coal until today because of the quality and they were exactly what they said they were to be on the box. I buy these coals from my local shop and from John at ******* Hookah and you guys on occasion but now I'm changing my mind. I just opened a brand new box from John at ******* Hookah and when I'm ready to open the next I set down usually smoking the hookah and cut up all the fingers in the box to a usable size. Well I was smoking and noticed an awful taste from the fresh coals so I threw them off and grabbed some quick lights, every thing good in the bowl and smoke was great as of that point. Then I happened to look down and found a piece of nylon yarn hanging from the end of the coal I cut the piece from. This was not smokeless, chemical free, odor free, or tastes as described on the box. Im attaching pictures of this coal and a few others. Then I decided to finish cutting the rest of the coals and to my disappointment I found more junk. I found a piece of fishing line about 25 lb test if you gotta know. Then on the final stick of the box I was scoring the finger as usually and my knife would not score one side and this coal had a shard of metal in it. Should I trust the rest of this box of coals at all or should I just pitch it. It bothers me that there may be other coals out there like this and the nylon burning can be harmful to your health. I due understand that smoking isn't good either but I don't need chemicals I didn't sign up for that entering my body. To end this I just want to know if this is an isolated incident or is it possible that I may get another batch like this and if so I will discontinue the use and move on to another brand. If you would like to speak on this matter I have attached e-mail, home address, and phone number.

Travis Troyer
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Watch your exoticas closely

OKay that aint right. I think I've had a plastic line sticking out one time, but I didn't think any of it (I have come across NOURS with that before so i thought that maybe its something that keeps the coal in tact )

Nevertheless, good thing you emailed Gabe. Its probably something totally out of his hands and maybe he can talk to his manufacturers.
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

what the hell...

Old September 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
zbanu
Hookah Nut

will keep an eye out
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

I didnt know what to do but figured it would be a good place to start maby some one just had a bad day and dropped a glove or something in a vat of coal materials but sorta scary on the other hand.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
kingboyb
Banned

That is downright frightening. I will not be buying anymore exoticas until this is cleared up. First batches are inconsistent and now there are is a "free prize inside" issue. Ugh.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

....Wow...yet another reason im glad i switched to CH coals.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Damn dude this is awfully scary every time I look at this thread. Sounds like some very lazy or careless coal workers who are working for Gabe's coal manufacturers who just don't give a f*** if people are harmed or if Gabe loses his business because of their carelessness.

Wow dude, some people need to get a friggen wake-up call on how serious their mistakes are when working!
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

well this is interesting... I am interested to see how this play out. I am very interested to see what explanations are given considering the manufacturing process of exotica coals is always treated with some secrecy.
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
well this is interesting... I am interested to see how this play out. I am very interested to see what explanations are given considering the manufacturing process of exotica coals is always treated with some secrecy.
Well i can tell you from my experiance in the fireworks field there is nothing to making there coals it is a sintered compression forming the same way they form black powder lift charges for mortars all you do is use a binder preferiable in a hookah coal like a sugar or somthing inert and non toxic like sugar or gelitan and all you do is find the perfect moisture content put your powders in a press mold under a couple tons of pressur and wala square coals then in this case proably killen dried
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:26 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

wow, how careless of them. Its bad enough they are inconsistent, now this!? I cant wait to see if they will respond, or just ignore you
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

i didnt send it straight to gabe cause i didnt have his email but sent it to info@exoticimports.com
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

wow, you know i bought a box of exoticas and ive been using them. after going thru 1/4 of the box i switched back to QLs bc it just starting smoking different. i didnt see any obvious crap like you guys but i know forsure my exoticas arent the same.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtoy View Post
Well i can tell you from my experiance in the fireworks field there is nothing to making there coals it is a sintered compression forming the same way they form black powder lift charges for mortars all you do is use a binder preferiable in a hookah coal like a sugar or somthing inert and non toxic like sugar or gelitan and all you do is find the perfect moisture content put your powders in a press mold under a couple tons of pressur and wala square coals then in this case proably killen dried
Well understand that much but it has always been promoted that there is something more to the exotica production. Just mentioning what I have gleaned from conversations with certain individuals.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

dunno dont know what more there could be cause if there is more than charcoal and binder in them i dont think i wanna use them at all nore do i want to use quick lights if i dont have too, cause i belive they use KNO3 or amonium nitride for the lighting effect i know its trace amounts but were already smoking and thats bad enough but ide rather have the least amount possiable so i think im going to go with all natural lemon wood chunks or somthing.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Ugh you guys!

Okay so...I was going for about 1-2 weeks using only CH's sample coals and Cocos straight.

I switched back to Exoticas this week. Man, there was this nasty ass after taste, to a point I wanted to stop smoking.

Now, I just realized it was the Exoticas! I've never noticed a horrible after taste, or perhaps it was just MY box.

Now, I don't think I wanna buy Exoticas anymore. This is just..>Wrong. I switched to Exotica Japanese charcoals...Alas! Great taste and great heat! Geez thank God I got these to back me up. I think I'm gonna throw away the last 1/3 of my exoticas...Geez this was beyond sickening.

I never noticed this in the past, smoking without them for a long time or not (A aftertaste like that...I would have NOTICED automatically a long time ago). Obviously, something else is going on at that factory and Gabe hasn't been notified until now.
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Murkmastur
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Murkmastur Send a message via Yahoo to Murkmastur

Something messed up happened in the factory. If I find stuff in my exoticas, I'll be pissed..so far they have been very nice though. CH couldn't have picked a better time to save you if your exoticas are screwing up.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

I had a friend smoking Exoticas and he claimed to find a rusty nail in one. I never believed him, but now I'm starting to wonder....
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:10 AM
heilmikaal
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to heilmikaal

wow that's scary. i think ill be sticking to ch coals.
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:17 AM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

MY exoticas are just fine. Envy me.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:27 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

What the hell is going on? I really hate it when products, which were once top-notch suddenly take a turn for the worst and then it's all downhill from there. It's bad enough that there's been a lot of controversy around AF tobacco recently but now this?! Is not possible to maintain a consistent level of quality anymore?...sorry for the rant but I find this unacceptable.

I'm just about to open a new box of Exotica's so if I find something wrong, I'll make a note of it here.

1lowtoy I really hope your email finds it's way to the right people because there's obviously a serious quality control issue here.

Is there any way Gabe can be contacted directly about this?

Last edited by HiToKiRi; September 8th, 2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
billyy
Hookah Nut

It might be a firework...
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtoy View Post
i didnt send it straight to gabe cause i didnt have his email but sent it to info@exoticimports.com
Thats Gabes e-mail, so you did send it to him.
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Vegasdrummer
Hookah Newbie

Maybe they are using recycled/used wood or something. and that is how they can keep a low overhead while making big profit. I guess quality control is kind of expensive.
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I buy Exotica coals by the case ( I sell some to local smokers at cost) and despite using or knowing people that have used mountain of the stuff I haven't had any problem at all save having coals split when I tamp them which happens about 1 in 4 sessions and frankly that is not a big deal. While they are not the best coal on the market they are a very good value although I don't like the mess of scoring them.

Clearly something went very wrong with the stuff that 1lowtoy got and obviously He should be give his money back or a new box of coals.

Personally, I think that Zoghal Ghabel, Coconara and Al Awa'el coals are better then exoticas but ZG is only erratically available, Coconara is too expensive so I don't get either very often. Al Awa'el is as good as Coconara and only about 20% more expensive then Exoticas so I think that is what i'll make my regular coals.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook