Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Please help. Need the help of real Shisha/Hookah experts. (long)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hookah Newbie
Default Please help. Need the help of real Shisha/Hookah experts. (long)

Hi there,

I've been smoking Shisha for a good 6-7 years and have tried alot of things while smoking.
A problem Iíve been having recently is getting that really thick white cloud of smoke.

Its stop happening for over a year now, tried doing all sorts of things. Ice in the glass, separating the tobacco really well (even blending it, so its tiny, which smokes quite well actually)
Ive tested for leaks, water levels, but nothing works has changed it for me.
So about a few months ago, I started buying new stuff for the same hookah I had, I bought an ice chamber, Japanese coals, diffuser (filter for pipe in the water) and only use Al-Fakher (real one, im a seller so I know its real lol)

I put it all together, separated the tobacco real well, let it get air for a few hours, prepared the ice and ice chamber, tightened everything up. lit the coals, put it on, let it wait a bit.
and BAM, I had huge smooth, effortless clouds with full flavour that rippled into the air, absolutely great. Lasted a long time and great. This was with the normal instant light coals and really good foil, specially for Shisha foil.

But again, after that 1 session, I cant get the same thing.
The only things that has changed, is the foil, Iím using this 1 now (http://www.hookahshisha.com/store/pc...&idproduct=537) which isnít as good, and cant find the other 1 for now, till I see my friend again. and obviously the coals are always different.

What Iíve noticed is, I light the coals, Japanese or instant (swift-lite), let them get red hot, put them on the head, it sizzles for a bit, then I notice the bottom of the coal isnít red hot anymore. I lift it up and its crap, itís like black and have to blow it till it gets red again and same thing happens. I do get smoke, and after awhile it gets thicker, but not like it was for all these years, and when it gets thicker, it loses the flavour.

So, is it the foil that takes the heat away from the coal and makes the bottom black or not red hot like I want? (Iíve tried shiny side up and down with the foil). Or are all these boxes of coal and different types I use suck?
Is there a coal that stays red hot for awhile? It only tends to go black or not so red when I put them on the head and wait for cook the Shisha for awhile.

Iíve also changed my foil around too, using the normal foil I used from years ago.

Anyway, experts, I need your opinion. Help me out.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Hookah Newbie
Default Re: Please help. Need the help of real Shisha/Hookah experts. (long)

I am by no means an expert of any kind, but a little more information would help.

What is your hole pattern on the foil?
If you you put too many holes, or too big of holes, more air gets in around the coals that isn't being heated enough to cook the shisha. More air=less smoke, and it tends to thin out the smoke a little.

What bowl are you using?
After i went to a funnel bowl with scalli mod my smoke density went up a good amount because more glycerin stay in the bowl to get heated and create those luscious clouds you are looking for.

Also with Japanese coals, i found the same thing you did, the bottom would go dark black, and not the red-hot i wanted. So when i rotated the coals the first time, i ashed and flipped the coals over so the red-hot tops were on the foil. The smoke volume always jumped up when i did this.

But you seem to have gone beyond most things that i would recommend, so some of the other hookah champs might have more suggestions...
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Hookah Pro

Is your bowl new. I noticed that when the bowl gets dirty doent heat the tobacco well and even resulting either in less smoke or full smoke with less flavour. Clean your bowl completly so its shiny again no black stuff from burned shisha. When mine was dirty the smoke was like it came from a cigarette ( so thin and tasteless)
Now as for the coal you dont want hot coal touching the shisha. what you really need is hot air (that heats up by passing between your coal) passing through the tobacco. I find though its good to rotate the coal, not round the bowl but around itself.
Well, you been hookahing longer than me so you probably know everything I know and its probably not worth saying.
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hookah Enthusiast

personally it sounds like a heat issue.... not so much with your pack or anything else really.

The foil does let the bottom of coals go black.....especially if you just light the coal and set it on the foil. The foil draws the heat of coal like a heatsink causing that part of the coal to be cooler than the red hot stuff at the top.

I'd try using slightly more coal.... then work your way up to what you need.

Im understanding that you were using quicklights before the Jap coals?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook