Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Acclimation

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Default Acclimation

What are the benefits of acclimation and how long does everyone do it prior to sparking up?
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Acclimation

Well i'd assume when a tobacci smells horrid it's because there was too much flavor additive used when making the particular batch. You simply evaporate some of the excess away, so it becomes bearable and doesn't taste like only chemicals (since you HAVE to use chemicals to flavor shisha, food flavorings won't really work). Some tobacco can be smoked right out of the tub/box, some have to sit out and lose some of the excess.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Assuming you are speaking of Tangier's Tobacco, I base the acclimation time on where I got my tobacco from.

Usually, it comes from work or straight from Eric down in San Diego, so I let it sit for thirty minutes to an hour, depending on how strong of a tobacco smell I detect.
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

I was about to start asking when I found the original acclimation thread. I will have to try it both ways before I can formulate my own opinion. Good to know there is such a thing as 'resting' shisha!
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I acclimate only if the smell of the shisha tobacco is off or too strong. Nakhla Cardamom, Choco Mint and Cinnamon are way too strong smelling out of the package to dare smoking. I acclimate them about 4 hours give or take and they are fine.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i just hate the whole idea of having to work harder on hookah smoking. I just want to open a fresh bag or an opened bag, dump it in the bowl and reseal the bag. that's it. acclimation is just too much work for me.
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Exactly how i feel so dont tend to buy any shisha that you have to do this to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
i just hate the whole idea of having to work harder on hookah smoking. I just want to open a fresh bag or an opened bag, dump it in the bowl and reseal the bag. that's it. acclimation is just too much work for me.
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

time depends on what your trying to do. if your trying to get tangiers smoking and your in a humid area it will take forever, if your just trying to air out a flavor few hours should do it.

normally tangiers should take about 4-24 hours but for us in the south, its a winter treat or just have to bribe the local shop to tell their secrete or acclimate for us
-matt
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

ok now my first box of AF bananna smelled great now the second box i got at the same time from john at CH smelled like chemicals so bad i dont want to somke it. Could it be good to try to acclimate it ive done it with af grape and it worked great but im on day 2 of aclimation of it with the bananna and it still smells nothing like what it did in the last box. or should i pitch it and move on. Its only 50g
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
kingboyb
Banned

I did this with AF Watermelon yesterday since it was a bit strong out of the bag. I let it sit for an hour, and it smoked like a dream.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Tangier's Tobacco Watermelon is fan-fucking-tastic.

The only problem is if you leave it out in your car for an extended amount of time, your car will smell like farts.
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

from what i have heard and my limited attempts at weird smelling AF, dont go on smell go on how it smokes

-matt
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Bishopspocket

Sorry to bring this thread back form the dead, But i have some Nakhla Sweet Melon and it smell a little funky.

When you acclimate shisha do you just pack the bowl and leave it for a while, or just open the bag and let it breathe?

Sorry to be a noob!
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

the only shisha that you should have to acclimate is tangiers. but if you really want to try acclimating nakhla, i spread out the tobacco over a piece of foil and let it sit for a while, if i can't smoke it, i'll let it sit longer.
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopspocket View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back form the dead, But i have some Nakhla Sweet Melon and it smell a little funky.

When you acclimate shisha do you just pack the bowl and leave it for a while, or just open the bag and let it breathe?

Sorry to be a noob!
It's not exactly acclimating, it's just letting the flavor settle down, it may smell odd from excessive cold or excessive heat, but Nakhla isn't a Dark tobacco and is very light, so acclimation is really not necessary. Mix it up and let it sit open for a little, should be good in an hour or less.

I am sure even though it smells off, it will taste fine.
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I agree with John ... this is too much work for me also ... hookah is about relaxation and having fun ... smoking Tangiers is like a chemical experiment that might succeed or might fail ... I HATE TANGIERS but I still like Lucid
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

Remember in summer comming into a very air conditioned store from outside and your sunglasses fog up?Or in cold winter you get in a cold car and put on the heat? Fog. Same exact thing happens to shisha.Which is why you never regrigerate it,it causes humidity. You must acclimatize shisha not to get the smell out!
If you are a Sultan, you'd have a "Hookah boy (or girl) to get your coals hot and ready, to clean your hookah to prepare the shisha. There isno doubt that it is a bit time consumming to take out each new pack of shisha, spread it out and wait, all the more if you have lots of new flavours, but to acclimatize 40 grams, 200 grams or 5 kilos takes exactly the same time. I put mine out for 4-20 hours. If you live in the desert or a very humid area do it longer. If you are impatient than half an hour, but if you don't its like starting a car on a freezing day without letting the engine heat a bit and the oil thin.
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

It really depends on your climate... I live in ohio and I have a rule about tangiers... I let it sit out one day before I add it to my menu even if it smells great coming out of the package. I don't mind doing a little extra work for a good product. I havent ever had to acclimate AF. I've only ever once had to acclimate Nakhla.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I agree with John ... this is too much work for me also ... hookah is about relaxation and having fun ... smoking Tangiers is like a chemical experiment that might succeed or might fail ... I HATE TANGIERS but I still like Lucid
We left some lucid blue gumball out for about 4-5hrs and it was wonderful. Oranga soda on the other hand... left it out for 2.5-3hrs and smoking it was a bad idea.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook