Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

addiction ?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM
mckheu

Default addiction ?

im starting to get it , smoking almost daily now ..
and when im smoking , mostly 1 - 2 our

i never got addicted to anything else yet ... ( exept cocacola and lays )

it feels like cocacola , i need it ..

i feel all hookah-horned up

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: addiction ?

I am quitting hookah for a few days since my taste buds got f***ed up and I feel u man .... it's my first day today
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

haha yeah well i smoke cigarettes and hookah has actually helped me cut down on therm alot but yeah its a nicotine addiction it may happen
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

I love smoking hookah, but i'm not addicted to it. If i go home (on weekdays i'm at the city where i learn, on weekend i go home) there is no hookah, but i don't need it. But i really like to spend my time with smoking it. Just reading and relaxing, it's great. Or just have some friends over and talking.

I have smoked cigarettes for 5 years but i nearly quited it 2 years ago, when i'm started smoking hookah, nowadays i only smoke 1-2 cigs per month with a cold beer or with a coffe, when i do not have my 'lil syrian with me
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
hookhaham
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hookhaham

move to herbal man soex
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
mckheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookhaham View Post
move to herbal man soex
i've heard it sux , and .... it doesn't contain nicotine .. :s

i'm just gonna try to keep it at the same level ..

i've had this once with makhla (not hookah tobacco or nakhla) but i quit it ..
i don't really wanna quit hookahing
its nice , relaxing .... the whole addicting thing sux though
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

just control yourself and smoke on weekends, that's what I do
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Heh, I'm probably addicted. I'm ALWAYS in the mood for a hookah session, no matter how many i've previously had. It's ok, we all have our crutches i suppose ^.^
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

i smoke like everyday and im not addicted...sure i will want to have a session but i dont feel the need to smoke...i wonder if ill become addicted
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I will guess that this will strike a bunch of you guys as uptight but I think that we need to not throw around the term addiction around so casually as that word has a very specific definition and simply looking forward to or wanting to do something does not mean that one is addicted. Things that are pleasurable and habit forming are not necessarily addictive although Iíll leave the science of the matter for now as it's more important address the matter of responsible and rational use of tobacco since I presume we all are adults.

What I propose is that we consider the circumstances when one rationally should not smoke. Some such instances are obvious such as pregnancy, nursing, heart troubles, colds, asthma etc. Other instances are not obvious but should be considered.

For instance, someone here complains about not being able to taste his moassel and ruled out the obvious causes mentioned by many of us here. However, he apparently has regular multi-hour sessions per day and it stands to reason that such excess could deaden oneís taste buds. Clearly the solution is to smoke less often in order to enjoy it more. A second example of knowing when one needs to indulge less is when becomes anxious when not smoking or becomes nervous, disputatious, distracted or other wise impaired in oneís day to day life.

What we need to keep in mind is that smoking is a brief reprieve from the rigors of life in which one can enjoy the tastes and textures that only smoking can provide. When it becomes something other then that it ceases to be a pass time and becomes something dictates your life rather then compliment it.

Since I prefer to control my pass times rathen then have control me I periodically give them up and ask my friends and co-workers to see how I handle things. If find that I canít handle life well without something then I would know I have a problem I need to overcome. If you feel you have become dependant upon something that carries a health risk then you need to stop doing it.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

I can't say that i'm addicted to smoking. I smoke quite randomly, I never really have felt the need to smoke. I smoke shisha because I enjoy the flavour, and all the other good times that are had. It seems like more of a mood thing to me. Like I will just decide that I want to smoke whenever I feel like it.

Also I agree with what Hajo said, very well put.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:12 AM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

if you think about smoken hookah all day everyday there maybe an issue there i enjoy smoking as often as i can but i also know to take breaks and when i do take a break i feel a bit more on edge than i usually am but thats just my experience mabye its because im more stressed out when i take a break and i relax while smoken?
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:17 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

welcome to the world of hookah....
addict or not i really need it every day, however i fdeel it's more mentally addicting than physically
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:24 AM
deverlight
Hookah Newbie

I've been smoking every day and the thought of skipping a day just seems unnatural...

I think it's become more of a habit than anything else. I don't think I'd have to run home to smoke if I were at a friend's house doing something interesting.
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Hookahdragon00
Hookah Newbie

Ive Slowly started to like Hookah more and more, I don't think I'm addicted I just like to smoke hookah. I never have the need to smoke hookah I usually just wanna smoke hookah when I'm just chillin around or with some friends when there's nothing to do. But...... other then that, I love to smoke on my Hookah!!!! NOT ADDICTED!!!!
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Hookahdragon00
Hookah Newbie

I agree very much with Hajo, people, you should really take a second and read Hajo's reply to this topic. Even though Hajo's reply may look long and overwealming, READ IT, he speaks some great knowledge and wisdoming words.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM
ImalimHookahMan
Hookah Newbie

I think that your coco cola and lays addiction is more harmful at this point then a 4 day a week average.

One bowls the equivalent to like 10 cigarettes if you burn through it hot by your self... or so they say... whoever says it.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
mckheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookahdragon00 View Post
I agree very much with Hajo, people, you should really take a second and read Hajo's reply to this topic. Even though Hajo's reply may look long and overwealming, READ IT, he speaks some great knowledge and wisdoming words.
jip its true
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i take breaks every few months, however i dont feel like i have any addiction. there are plenty of days where i dont smoke in a row because i didn't think about it.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
SixPackSunday
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SixPackSunday

i dont think i'm 'addicted' but it has become more of my outlet for relaxation... kind of the same way some of my other hobbies are (golf/paintball/pool)... when i'm stressed i just really want to sit down and smoke a bowl to relax
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

I haven't smoked for a month. I am dying to smoke, but I am holding back. I'm either very strong minded, or there's no addiction. lol
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am glad that some here found utility in what I have to say about this matter and I will add the following:

Clinically speaking , addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence which with the passing of time degrades the userís ability to function while an ever greater tolerance to the substance is cultivated . When the substance on which someone is dependent is suddenly removed, it will cause withdrawal syndrome, a characteristic set of signs and symptoms which are dehabilitating or life threatening and require medical intervention.

Addition does not mean that you simply desire to do something habit forming when you are not able to. Simply over indulging in anything you find enjoyable is not the same as being addicted.

If you find that smoking or anything that carries a health risk factor inhibits your enjoyment of life rather then enhances it you should do it less often until that situation changes or stop it all together. If you can't drink alcohol without getting drunk don't drink. If you find yourself tense, irritable or other wise unable to function without a smoke you need to stop smoking.

Use tobacco to enhance the senses. Don't let it or anything else use you.
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

Maybe you should take a breather. Pun totally intended.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
mckheu

so i'm not addicted , i'm just hookahhornedup
:P i guess its my hobby now ...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook