Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

smoking bad for excercise?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM
reality-
Banned

Default smoking bad for excercise?

Hey guys! I have smoked like everyday for past 2 yars and every now and then for 2 more years...

I have always worked at the gym, wich has really no impact on how much I can handle.. I mean gym doesnt really require much from ur condition and oxygen handling, stamina ... ( Im sorry about my bad english... )

But the thing is, since last month Ive been working out in muay thai, its a fighting sports... Wich really takes ur breath away! U need really good stamina to handle theese workouts..

So my questcion to you guys is, does anyone know how bad shishasmoking is in that aspect? I know that cigarettes is so bad that its not even an option to smoke and try to make my athletics skills any better.. But shisha seems less bad, maybe u get cancer as normal tobacco I dont know and I dont care as much as I do in the aspect of getting worse stamina!
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Default Re: smoking bad for excercise?

I have heard from people here and on another forum that they stop smoking as much as possible when they start to get into shape for the summer and such. Sambooka works out, he should know if it impacts your ability.
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
reality-
Banned

alright! I was actually mostly intrested in the pure stamina aspect, so for many years when I worked at gym I didnt care.. But to do a real stamina based sport its different..
Anyone else maybe know something about this ?
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM
churlz
Hookah Nut

Unfortunately smoking anything can hurt your endurance a bit. If you're in it for the nicotine, I see a bunch of cardio workers using smokeless tobacco, which won't hurt your endurance but can tear up your gums pretty bad.

But any smoke entering your lungs will mess with your alveoli and make your lungs less able to process oxygen until the alveoli have cleaned themselves ff.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:34 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i'm sure it has to affect it to a certain degree, but just smoke in moderation, take a break and see if your stamina gets better
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Smoking anything will affect your stamina! If you are an everyday smoker it is really going to affect you! But if you are in good physical condition (and work out regularly - cardiovascular) then the occasional smoke won't be sooooo bad. My advise would be that if you know you have a fight coming up, or other strenuous activity that is going to require great amounts of stamina, you should lay off smoking for a few weeks at the very least, prior to this level of stamina required.

If I were to take up boxing or kick-boxing again .. I would probably lay off the smoking for an occasional session with friends maybe 2 times a month. That is just my opinion though .. I like to smoke!

If I was on a professional level, I wouldn't smoke at all ..

Hope that helps!??

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I run everyday regularly about 4 miles, and then go to the dog park with my dog and chase him for about half an hour or run along the trails and into the park. I smoke 3-4 times a week, and I have had no shortness of breath or weakened lung capacity. Maybe because i keep in shape i don't have problems from the hookah.

No matter what anyone says, hookah smoking has absolutely 0 negative effects on my cardiovascular health.
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
reality-
Banned

Hi all and thanks for the great responses !
I have thought about it for a while.. and I think my conclusion is this:
Maybe smoking everyday is not so good... But I mean 3 - 4 times a week surely cant be that bad for your stamina if you excercise on a regular bases.. Hookah is just to good to resist for just a little stamina boost.. I just love it too much !

Someone asked if Im on it because the nicotine.. No actually I dont really know anyone thats on hookah because of nicotine... It's pure psychology.. I just looove to have that alfa kher double apple flavour ,,, It tastes soo good.. I mean it's only 0.05% nicotine anyways.. Doesnt really affect me in my opinion..

And as Zensilk said in the last respons.. for smoking shisha for 2 years on a daily basis, I haven't really had bad stamina in my exercises, so is it possible that it only slows it down just a bit. And if u work hard enough that you will still become better and better and that the shisha really just holds you off a few single procent??

I think that's my hypothesis ( maybe bad english but I'll guess u can use word hypo... here) and my final conclusion is: It's not worth it man !!!!! Give up shisha for a few procent better stamina .. Hell no..

Thank you all guys! U have helped me set me mind up in this subject and Im going to continue to chillout at night with my lovevly green and red apples!!!
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I would definitely recommend moderation! of course.

But I'm glad you came to such a perfect solution. Have fun and stay in shape!
Better shape = longer life = more shisha!
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:18 AM
cm08
Hookah Newbie

Smoking shisha is definitely not good for your stamina.
I speak with proper experience. A couple of years back, during a family lunch, I sat down with an aunt and we smoked and talked for six hours straight.
Afterward, I had to play soccer... Got my first sprint and literally felt like DUMP. Thus, I played goalie for two hours. Great way to go.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:57 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

I got winded walking to college when I used to smoke everyday. I'm fine now though, I smoke far less then I used to.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:31 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Hey, I have a doctorate degree in exercise science, hopefully I will be able to help you out (+ other credentials)! As others stated above smoking anything will hurt your endurance. It's not too bad if you only work on getting bigger or stronger, but will impact your oxygen intake significantly allowing your muscles longer recovery times during and after your workouts, so you can't train as often. Your VO2 max will be compromized if you smoke (especially 3-4x/week) and you cannot get rid of lactic acid as quick since it flushed to your blood stream and will stay in areas longer with more CO2 in the bloodstream. If you are serious about this, definately cut back on smoking to nothing while training. In the off season I don't think smoking once every 2 weeks or so will cause significant detraining results.
As far as tai fighting this is an aerobic workout cardiovascularly taxing your system. For optimal results do not smoke and train for functional strength and endurance- ie. use multiple plains of movement with weights. This is becoming a popular way to train these days. If you need more info look up some kettle bell workout (windmill, turkish get ups...), yoga/pilates for core strength/flexibility... on and on.
Question is how serious are you... sounds like recreation, so go ahead and smoke it up. When you get serious just cut back on the smoke.

Last edited by highlight; September 19th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:18 AM
lalhookah
Hookah Nut

sams deff right it would. for a fact i've noticed how much smoking cigs reduces stamina. nt too sure bout hookah though. must try it out and see.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM
reality-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlight View Post
Hey, I have a doctorate degree in exercise science, hopefully I will be able to help you out (+ other credentials)! As others stated above smoking anything will hurt your endurance. It's not too bad if you only work on getting bigger or stronger, but will impact your oxygen intake significantly allowing your muscles longer recovery times during and after your workouts, so you can't train as often. Your VO2 max will be compromized if you smoke (especially 3-4x/week) and you cannot get rid of lactic acid as quick since it flushed to your blood stream and will stay in areas longer with more CO2 in the bloodstream. If you are serious about this, definately cut back on smoking to nothing while training. In the off season I don't think smoking once every 2 weeks or so will cause significant detraining results.
As far as tai fighting this is an aerobic workout cardiovascularly taxing your system. For optimal results do not smoke and train for functional strength and endurance- ie. use multiple plains of movement with weights. This is becoming a popular way to train these days. If you need more info look up some kettle bell workout (windmill, turkish get ups...), yoga/pilates for core strength/flexibility... on and on.
Question is how serious are you... sounds like recreation, so go ahead and smoke it up. When you get serious just cut back on the smoke.
Im really dissapointed at that answer... =( I really hoped that smoking wouldn't affect my stamina in the way u describe it..
Im not really death serious.. My goal is not to fight in ultimate fighting championship.. But I do except some results from the training, since we really train hard.. Im telling you man, muay thai must be some of the hardest trainings there is.. I go to swedens top 1 club..
But.. I mean..I dont really want to cut down completly on the shisha.. What kind of life would that be man.. I train really good and hard and combine that with the gym.. I eat very correct! I get the rest I need both sleeping and between excercises..
And ur saying that if I smoke 3 times a week, it will reduce my stamina to a point where I dont really get any better, or it's going very slow ( in stamina aspect ) ... ?
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:13 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

I agree with you 100% fighters are some of the best overall conditioned athletes in the world- esp muai thai. You need to grapple and throw tons of leg kicks, elbow/knees and be proficient with your hands youre damn right this takes serious training to be a top performer.

Smoking just won't optimize the time you spend at the gym! Try just smoking once a week and see if you don't feel as spent durning your training sessions, or even better don't smoke for about three or four weeks and see. This'll give you some time to "clear out" your lungs. I'm sure some fighters smoke occassionally, but not during their ramping up periods and rest before fights. I love to smoke too, but work that into the times you don't train as hard, and if not anything just cut down a little and see how you do! Sounds like you do work at the gym and in you life, so maximize it!
And the reality is it won't slow you down a ton, you just won't progress as fast. Take that as you will...
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
reality-
Banned

Thank you very much for response! I will think this over for a while...
Right now Im in a phase where I in a few days will get my first phunnel and first real alfakher tobacco and coal and.... Right now smoking seems more exciting then making 100% progress in training.. But as you say, I guess later on I will have to make a real choice... Or just try to enjoy both sides of life and then accepting that I will not be able to be 100% in capacity..
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

It would seem to me that smoking would negatively effect one's cardio-vascular health (and hence endurance) only if you inhale. Back when I was in the military and the police (basically the same thing in my case) cigarette smoking was common and pipe/cigar smokers like myself hardly rare. Needless to say, field operations and combat are very tiring and require a lot of endurance and the matter smoking never came up so I think that it's likely not the energy sucker we are led to beleive.

Obviously I was a lot younger then and my endurance is not what it was 20+ years back but I have a pretty active life. My spare time goes into construction and hiking although i've never been athletic but I doubt i'd be able to do what I do if spent hours a day inhaling smoke as some of you do.

If you are concerned about endurance smoke less ( I never smoke more then an hour a day) and don't inhale but just taste the smoke like you would with a pipe or cigar.
Old September 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
reality-
Banned

Hmm... Dont inhale you say.. Thats pretty intresting.. Maybe you could cut down on the ammount of hits that you inhale and just taste some in the mouth instead.. Strange but.. I dont know if Ive ever really done that.. How does that work? when I recieve my tobacco/coal next week, I'll try that..
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am a bit different then the typical narghile fan in that I never liked cigarettes and I was smoking pipes and cigars long before i ever heard of moassel. Basically smoking is about 2 things: A) the craftsmanship/lore and B) the taste texture of the smoke. Basically smoking is like really great food or drink in that it is about delighting the senses.

How I smoke without inhaling: I draw just a small amount of smoke in a shallow and fast drag, hold it for a second or so and repeat but hold the smoke for several seconds and release slowly. No big clouds, no working the lungs because I just use my checks to draw the smoke. Then I wait a go good 30 secords or more before taking another puff.

Smoking this way is a lot more relaxing then sucking up smoke like you are trying to fill a bus tire.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
reality-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
How I smoke without inhaling: I draw just a small amount of smoke in a shallow and fast drag, hold it for a second or so and repeat but hold the smoke for several seconds and release slowly. No big clouds, no working the lungs because I just use my checks to draw the smoke. Then I wait a go good 30 secords or more before taking another puff.

Smoking this way is a lot more relaxing then sucking up smoke like you are trying to fill a bus tire.
And the taste difference? Does it taste to smoke like this ?I would try if My shisha was working but as I said its not working until friday hopefully so Im intrested in what u say here
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

i still run like 6 miles a day
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Moro
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Moro

It also has to do with inhaling. I smoke cigars as well as pipes since a long time ago and that has yet to stop me from training for parkour (and trust me, that can truly be breath-taking, and not in a romantical way). It might also have to do with the moderation I have regarding smoking, but also I never inhale (obviously). Everything is bad for ye when ye do it too much; even excercise. So the best thing to do, moderate it. Moderate the smoke, the drink (I barely do it anymore since training at 10 am weekend-wise with a hangover is not the definition of nirvana), sleep enough and leave fast food and pops and ye'll perform like ye might've never thought yer body could.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moro View Post
It also has to do with inhaling. I smoke cigars as well as pipes since a long time ago and that has yet to stop me from training for parkour (and trust me, that can truly be breath-taking, and not in a romantical way). It might also have to do with the moderation I have regarding smoking, but also I never inhale (obviously). Everything is bad for ye when ye do it too much; even excercise. So the best thing to do, moderate it. Moderate the smoke, the drink (I barely do it anymore since training at 10 am weekend-wise with a hangover is not the definition of nirvana), sleep enough and leave fast food and pops and ye'll perform like ye might've never thought yer body could.
i had to run a 10 miler on a hangover at 7am i was sweating the beer out it was nasty even though i still ran the whole thing i learned my lesson
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook