Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cannot get setup right for Tangiers...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

Default Cannot get setup right for Tangiers...

I'm really frustrated with this. I've smoked the classic Nour line with others setting it up and it's great. I've loved their Lucid line myself. I just can't get the setup and/or heat right on their traditional line.

I've tried both Macchiato Cherry and Mimon. It seems like I either don't get enough smoke, or I taste like it's burning. I've tried my large clay egyptian bowl, and it didn't smoke well. I tried my phunnel- two coals and there isn't enough smoke, three coals and it's just burning.

I know that it's supposed to be a more fussy shisha, but what is the secret? I have AF, SB, and Laylina down to a science, but this stuff is bothering me. I want to be able to smoke it like I've had other people setup.
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
ridah626
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Cannot get setup right for Tangiers...

when i smoke tangiers i make sure i pack that shit. like i pack it down unlike i would with starbuzz or al fahker. keep all the tobacco tightly together. and as for the coals, i dont know i usually use 4 with no problem. just try moving the coals around.
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Come into the shop and I'll show you what Tangier's is all about.
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Dookiie
Hookah Nut

Wish I lived in Cali so you could show me as well. ^^^ Right now Lucid is the only Tangiers I'm smoking. No complaints though, really good stuff.
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

ocmj, juno does have alot more experience with this product than i do, i tried it a couple of times at home and have gotten it right, idk how, but it was right, however, it's too much for me to handle (ducking smack from AR)
i think this product os great since it's made pretty much by hand, not mass produced and the guy making it is passionate and not just about the money.
i like the lucid line too which is much easier to work with, but i still find that it knocks me out and i've been smoking for years.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
mdl
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
ocmj, juno does have alot more experience with this product than i do, i tried it a couple of times at home and have gotten it right, idk how, but it was right, however, it's too much for me to handle (ducking smack from AR)
i think this product os great since it's made pretty much by hand, not mass produced and the guy making it is passionate and not just about the money.
i like the lucid line too which is much easier to work with, but i still find that it knocks me out and i've been smoking for years.
Hey John, not sure if you remember me but I was up at George's last month with Eric when we were dropping off a shipment and you brought your coals around.

Anyway, OP, can you take some photos of the way you are setting the bowl up? Mainly photos of how much you are packing into your bowl. Like others have said, you may want to pack more into the bowl. Thin smoke is generally an under-packing issue and when you add that extra coal, since there isn't already enough tobacco in the bowl, what is there begins to get harsh because of the air gap.

-Matt
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

There are many informative threads on the site about this ..

Here is one of the best threads ...
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4073

Good Luck

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

First you need to learn 8 years and get a PHD. in Tangiers or forget it, what a pain in the..... if they can't get their act together for me its a waste of money.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaBubbly View Post
First you need to learn 8 years and get a PHD. in Tangiers or forget it, what a pain in the..... if they can't get their act together for me its a waste of money.
hahahaha, well said! I feel about the same, I don't even bother with it anymore because it has just been a disappointment 90% of the time. It has been quite a while since I tried it because of the bad experiences.

Maybe I am just a n00b!?
.. that or it just won't acclimate for me in Florida, or was a bad batch!? (excuses, excuses, excuses)

In any case, I will pass on the info I have learned from others, and what technique did work for me when I tried Orange Soda (which was an ok smoke compared to the other attempts and experiences)

Scoop wrote up an excellent article, and is definitely worthy of posting as a general guideline. Give it a try!

Cheers and Good Luck!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
iamscott06
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to iamscott06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaBubbly View Post
8 Years? There are plenty of pictures and videos, its really not that hard.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

its not hard to set up, its the freaking acclimation thats a pain (at least here in va where its a humid as crap, honestly a cigar humidor during summer is to keep your cigars dry)

in the phunnel just pack it hard to about 1/8th below the rim (on mine it comes out to be right at the top of the inside hole)

poke holes all the way down and wipe off the top of the foil

what coals you using?

just try packing it tighter and if you have good flavor then just try a wind cover or try putting an extra coal and make all of them hang off just a touch (not the safest way but it works to cut down that extra heat you dont need)
-matt
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
axmann
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to axmann

pardon my noobness and i'm not trying to threadjack but are phunnels only for tangiers or do they improve the quality of other shishas as well?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmann View Post
pardon my noobness and i'm not trying to threadjack but are phunnels only for tangiers or do they improve the quality of other shishas as well?
you can use them for anything, it just makes the session last longer since it holds the juices but it takes more shisha

some say scali mod for anything but tangiers but i find the scali to either mess up the bowl or just not do a whole lot other than less shisha

-matt
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
axmann
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to axmann

thanks!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook