Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Salloum Shisha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 27th, 2008, 02:26 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Default Salloum Shisha

So I've smoked the plain and it was a very interesting, heavy spicy smoke...definately not like alot of flavors out there. Alot of the OG smokers around swear by it. How long has this stuff really been around compared to a brand like Al Fahker?
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Salloum Shisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
So I've smoked the plain and it was a very interesting, heavy spicy smoke...definately not like alot of flavors out there. Alot of the OG smokers around swear by it. How long has this stuff really been around compared to a brand like Al Fahker?

it has been around compared to Al Fakher like Egypt has been around compared to USA .....
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

I've had Salloum before and I must say it is definitly an enjoyable experience.

I didn't add honey, but the moassel turned into a brick anyways.
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I discovered Salloum months ago. I bought their Bahrehny Apple and it was very good! It has less anise flavor than AF Golden Bahraini, but it's less moist. Their watermelon is excellent. I also like their Sweet Melon and Coconut. I got it from Hookah1 and for just $7 for a 250 G tub it is great. If you like Nakhla give this a try.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Salloum is a great brand and I like the plain stuff a lot (i've got about 3 kilos of it) but it's not for everyone. Anyway, Salloum is one of the older brands out of Egypt and basically everything out of the Gulf states (except Al Waha) has only been around for less then 20 years.

The big question is who made the first commercially available moassel that is still in business and that is something that will be agreed upon. Personally, I think that the Syrian Al Buhturi was the first but I know that the Egyptians, Iranians, Turks and Lebanese will never agree on the matter.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

I never heard of Syrian Al Buhturi, is it available now and if so where?
Salloum's ad show Eastern Company since 1920 and they're ISO2000 (or whatever the right verbage is) but does that mean that Salloum has been around that long or just a trading company that carries it.

Also, Hajo what do the other guys disagree on. Is Nakhla the first? I assume they sell the most shisha worldwide.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Al Buhtari is a very old Syrian brand and according to my Syrian pals it's the oldest moassel brand that is still in business. Unfortunately, they don't export it and it's like a few hundred brands in that it's sold within about a 20Km radius of where it's made.

Nakhla is Older then Salloum as the former was sold around 1912 or so. A lot of Turkish brands pre-date Nakhla but they are all out of business with the exceptions of Maden-Canek and Bachi-Bagli but both those brands are only sold locally ( the later is from Drama but I fogot where former is from). Some people say that the Turkish brands I mentioned don't count because they use honey rather then molasses an are technically a tobamel rather then a moassel.

Some Iranians will tell you that Dariush is the oldest moassel brand but in the end I don't know who is the oldest but if I had to guess i'd put my money on Al Buhtari or Maden Canek.

At various times I've sent out samples of everyting i've mentioned to people in the forum here. Problem is that they are hard to get and they don't travel well as they don't use preservatives so I don't have them too often.

I do have some Shooting Star ( اطلاق النار نجم ) moassel which is a very old brand from Syria and i've had a chum of mine post a few people here some. Shoot Star was founded in 1887 apparently.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

I found some Apple Flavor Salloum shisha for $5.00 locally (250g). The stuff looks fresh and juicy. I'll be giving it a whirl this weekend. I also picked up a Salloum plain for $3.99 and it smells a lot like Nakhla's Zaghoul. Looking forward to both sessions.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook