Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

interesting tidbit

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default interesting tidbit

came across this today and thought some might find it interesting.
http://www.citizensugar.com/1819199
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

Default Re: interesting tidbit

Wow that is interesting. Thank you for sharing it! I can't say I am surprised, pork barrels haven't gone the way of the dodo just yet. I do think that it is a little out of sorts though since that center funds research such as:

- Disease Control Priorities Project
- Ecology of Infectious Diseases
- Brain Disorders in the Developing World

The latest grant recipients were:
- Bacterial pathogens and human infectious diseases in an estuary subjected to extreme climatic events (Rachel Noble, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill);
- Virulence trade-offs in a vertebrate virus--infectious haematopoietic necrosis (IHN)--a disease of salmon and trout (Benjamin Kerr, University of Washington);
- Agricultural antibiotics and human health, using a multi-scale ecological approach to the development and spread of antibiotic resistance (Joseph Eisenberg, University of Michigan);
- Eco-epidemiology of West Nile virus emergence in urban areas (Tony Goldberg, University of Wisconsin at Madison);
- Environmental determinants favorable for the presence and transmission of vibrios, bacteria typically found in saltwater and important human pathogens (Crystal Johnson, University of Southern Mississippi);
- "Immune landscapes" of human influenza in households, towns and cities of southern China (Derek Cummings, Johns Hopkins University);
- Ecology, emergence and pandemic potential of Nipah virus, a virus harbored in fruit bats, in Bangladesh (Peter Daszak, Consortium for Conservation Medicine at Wildlife Trust);
- Ecology of anaplasmosis, a tick-borne disease in cattle, and the relationship of disease reservoirs, risk and incidence (Felicia Keesing, Bard College).

But yeah forget all that, hookahs seem trivial enough to the mass media to ridicule.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Gee, who woulda guessed that the American government would spend money bogus junk science in the middle of an economic collapse.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:31 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

better spent on narghille research than tax cuts for oil executives.Oh wait, we do that too.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Dookiie
Hookah Nut

Wait, who really calls it "Hubbly-Bubbly"..
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiie View Post
Wait, who really calls it "Hubbly-Bubbly"..
"hubbly bubbly" is actually a fairly common term outside of the US.
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Vegasdrummer
Hookah Newbie

I really would love to see a honest test to find out real facts. You just dont know who you can trust now a days.
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Hubbly bubbly, that's a great name. My girlfriend mentioned to her mother I had a hookah. Next time I saw her she asked "Can you show Kamal (her husband) your hubbly-bubbly next time we come by?"
What crossed my mind was hubbly bubbly sounds like a very hippie word But, it actually sounded good in a sentance. Much less abrupt than hookah. Then I said sure I'll show him.

BTW 99.9% of research is not very applicible... Before grad school I traced how fast green proteins were being transported down nerves. It'll come around, just wish research would support wholistic causes like acupuncture...
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlight View Post
It'll come around, just wish research would support wholistic causes like acupuncture...
You and me both! Thank goodness I don't have to write research grant applications until next year. Strides are being made though, perhaps not within the US so much but globally perceptions are changing.
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkail View Post
You and me both! Thank goodness I don't have to write research grant applications until next year. Strides are being made though, perhaps not within the US so much but globally perceptions are changing.
3rd that, i use applied kenisology and that was what helped me find out i have celiac disease/gluten intolerance when "normal" docs just said "o you have IBS", ya thanks guys your wonderful diagnosis would have led to be me getting sicker and sicker as i got older.

i have just gotten to the point that i dont care what the government is doing any more, ill vote for who i want and all but either way i will never agree with them all the way. i just go with my own experiences, smoking a few cigs the next day i dont feel as good as if i smoke hookah for 3-4 hours. there fore my body thinks hookah is better

-matt
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Not the best time to be spending the cash......but I'd like to see the results. And they must specify what they were smoking as in type of tobacco. Weather it was moassel, tombeik, jurak, or desi murli.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

well.....sort has been the million dollar question...

sad thing is the probability of winding up with another non-peer reviewed study claiming 1 bowl of shisha is equal to smoking a sheet of plywood.

the libby house and senate are asses for earmarking sh!t like this and the Prez is an ass for signing off.
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster View Post
claiming 1 bowl of shisha is equal to smoking a sheet of plywood.
Ahahahahaha. Will someone do a legitimate test?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook