Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Unflavored Salloum.... how?!?!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

Default Unflavored Salloum.... how?!?!

So I picked up a TON of shisha from John today. The one I was most excited to try was the Salloum. I opened the box and was surprised how dry it was... I mean, it was literally so dry it was hard to work with.

I tried to pack the bowl like normal Nakhla, pulling the shisha apart and sprinking it in, then packing it down just a bit. I put two layers of foil on with lots of holes, thinking it was going to be harsh. NO SMOKE with 4 CH coals. I removed one of the foils. Still NO smoke with 4 coals.

Are you supposed to pack this stuff super tight? Are you supposed to use a screen or put the coal directly on the shisha? It's so different than anything else I've smoked, I need help.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: Unflavored Salloum.... how?!?!

there are several substances that can be added to dry, unflavored moassel such as Salloum or zaghloul. They are honey, blackstrap mollasses,or vegetable glycerin.I usually use honey and glycerin mixed. I mix about half a teaspoon per bowl(about 20g). mix it well with your fingers and all should be fine. You may still have to pack the bowl abit higher than usual and don't pack it down tight. Leave it loose as you would most other moassels. good luck and enjoy. Plain Salloum is a great flavor.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Its a few extra steps, but its worth it. With other tobaccos, you are getting great flavors that are fun. With Salloum, its a great natural flavor that is a different smoking experience IMHO.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Thanks AR for chiming in, he has experience with this stuff I have yet to try it. From what you are saying I guess I would add honey since that may be the easiest thing to find at home.
I know when Hajo wakes up he'll provide some advice as well.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Great tips thrown in here. I've got 250g of this Salloum coming in the mail, so it's good to be informed ahead of time
Old October 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I borrowed this tidbit from Hookah1's website...

This shisha also makes for an excellent do it yourself. Soak it in your favorite beer (or other beverage of choice), dry it out and then smoke it.

I see a Blue Moon Belgian White Ale shisha tobacco in the future! LOL
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Unflavoured Salloum or any unflavoured molasses is smoked without foil. Just put the coals on top of the molasses itself and keep rotating. This is how it is smoked in cafe's and everywhere here and how the experts here smoke it , since it is less sensitive to heat that flavoured stuff, however let me tell u that it burns fast and easy, so you have to pack as little as possible into the bowl, keep it underpacked, keep rotating the coals. And also, pack 3-4 bowls before smoking to switch fast when one is done (usually the bowl's life is 10-20 minutes max), and there you go !.

Last edited by The Egyptian; October 2nd, 2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
kingboyb
Banned

I had researched this method and it creeped me out a little. I packed the tobacco as normal using foil but just used about 5 CH coals instead of my usual three. You might need to add more if you want more clouds than flavor, but plain salloum is something that should be enjoyed slowly and for flavor like a good glass of scotch (neat).
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

The plain Salloum sells less here in the US so the packages we get are usually old. Drier than most you really should add the honey/glycerin mix to help aid the smoke and flavor. Without it you will burn it faster and have a harsh session. Smoke this with foil as Hajo says in his article on traditional style tobaccos. You will be very rewarded with this one as long as you prepare it properly before bowling it up. And smoke it as you would a briar or cigar, smaller mouth inhales with slight exhaling through your nose. I have sent samples of this one from time to time and everyone has been suprised at the flavor.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Listen to KwiKwi and yes, definately look at Hajo's writtings about this stuff.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Indeed Hajo has very informative tips on how to smoke traditional mo'assel. I used his tips while I had Shooting Star and they served me well. I can't wait to try this Salloum. I should get my package from John tomorrow!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
I borrowed this tidbit from Hookah1's website...

This shisha also makes for an excellent do it yourself. Soak it in your favorite beer (or other beverage of choice), dry it out and then smoke it.

I see a Blue Moon Belgian White Ale shisha tobacco in the future! LOL
good idea. I think a quality spiced rum would also make for an interesting flavor.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

damn I shoulda put some in the order I placed today from John! >_<

Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

Yum. I might order some and soak it in green tea.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

As some of you know I am a big fan of Salloum plain and other "black style" moassels abd traveling alot I've smoked in a lot of different places but i've only had one such product in Egypt (that was Shh 'el-beled which is Tunsisian) so I can't say how they go about it really. I can say that in most places I've smoked black moassel they do use foil or metal screens.

Having smoked it both ways I've found that Salloum plain is super harsh and unpleasent when you put the coals directly on the moassel so I advise strongly against doing so.

The only thing I would ever smoke out of a narghile without foil tomabc (damp tobacco leaves with no molasses or glycerine) because you can't get it to smoke any other way.

By the way, I got some old El Basha and the boxes are clearly stained from with juice yet the plastic wrap is sealed. Should I assume that the stuff has gone bad?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
By the way, I got some old El Basha and the boxes are clearly stained from with juice yet the plastic wrap is sealed. Should I assume that the stuff has gone bad?
That is hard to say, Hajo. I picked up two tubs of older El Basha from a local Arabic market earlier this year. Both production dates were 2005. One strawberry and one grape, both leaking. The grape rehydrated just fine and the taste was pleasant. The strawberry didn't fare so well.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

You guys can call me stupid later, but I was just wondering must you use glycerine along with the honey? I used only honey and my attempt fell to the floor . It tasted horrible and produced hardly any smoke with 3 coals. To those of you who have experience with this, please let me know. Also, after you make the mixture, do you need to let it sit out for a while like how you do with Shooting Star?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

it may burn abit better w/some glycerin( glycerin handles the heat better), but I've used just honey and had good luck. How much did you use? you don't need to make it as moist as you might think. good luck.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

I took a large phunnel, put the Salloum in to fill the bowl, dumped the Salloum onto a paper plate, took half a teaspoon of honey as you said above, mixed it up really well, and had an attempt that had FAIL written all over it . What I am doing wrong?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

you need a bunch of heat to get it going. Once your producing smoke you will need to remove some coals as needed.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Alright I will try again later...I packed a new bowl of Al Fakher Bahrainin Apple and used the coals I had on the failed Salloum attempt. Do I need to use more than 3 coals? I'll let you know how it goes on my next attempt
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
kingboyb
Banned

I would start off with 5 and maybe add 2 more as needed.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Good grief that's a butt load of coal...I will do as you requested in my next attempt
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Good Luck My Friend. This stuff is a little more finicky to get going, but its worth it. You're not a nub, but remember to have some food and drink near by or this might knock you on your a$$.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
I would start off with 5 and maybe add 2 more as needed.
I think that 5-7 coals may be a bit of overkill. If your using CH coals,I would say 3 would get you going. 4 at the most.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook