Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Unflavored Salloum.... how?!?!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven
Default Re: Unflavored Salloum.... how?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Good Luck My Friend. This stuff is a little more finicky to get going, but its worth it. You're not a nub, but remember to have some food and drink near by or this might knock you on your a$$.
Haha like Shooting Star from Syria . Much appreciation for the help of you and Abu Ronin. I'll be back in the game trying it out perhaps tomorrow. I don't wanna smoke too much like I did with that Nakhla one time...almost buried the Phenom
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
I think that 5-7 coals may be a bit of overkill. If your using CH coals,I would say 3 would get you going. 4 at the most.
I stand corrected. I used that many coals when I smoked it dry without adding anything.
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:55 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

Okay, I've now tried my second session with no foil, tried on session with honey, neither worked well.

I think the key is adding glycerin. That's what actually creates smoke in most flavored shishas, and I think it's the key to getting the pure flavor here without having to burn it.
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie View Post
Okay, I've now tried my second session with no foil, tried on session with honey, neither worked well.

I think the key is adding glycerin. That's what actually creates smoke in most flavored shishas, and I think it's the key to getting the pure flavor here without having to burn it.
Never add just glycerin, use the honey/glycerin mix. Use an equal amount of each. Usually 1/4 teaspoon of mix for a standard bowl amount. Just adding glycerin is going to add a strange taste to the smoke. And keep in mind traditional tobaccos were not about the cloud volume. They were more about flavor and relaxing. Glycerin does nothing to enhance the flavor. And put that foil back on that bowl, this is not a water only moistened tobacco.
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:14 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Kwikwi is absolutely right.If your intention is to blow "hella rings" than your smoking the wrong product. The problem many of you may be having is patience. It takes a couple of minutes to realy get a bowl of this stuff to perform. Don't expect to drop your coals on and click your heels together three times and blow a smoke ring.
In addition, you want to keep in mind that such products are meant to be smoked diffently than other moassels. When smoking this stuff you should be taking shorter, solid pulls and allowing the smoke to wift around the nose as oppossed to blowing big clouds. And once you get it smoking, try exhaling through your nose as well as your mouth. It will put a whole new face on these complex flavors.
Stick to it! once you get it down you shouldn't be dissapointed. good luck.
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Kwikwi is absolutely right.If your intention is to blow "hella rings" than your smoking the wrong product. The problem many of you may be having is patience. It takes a couple of minutes to realy get a bowl of this stuff to perform. Don't expect to drop your coals on and click your heels together three times and blow a smoke ring.
In addition, you want to keep in mind that such products are meant to be smoked diffently than other moassels. When smoking this stuff you should be taking shorter, solid pulls and allowing the smoke to wift around the nose as oppossed to blowing big clouds. And once you get it smoking, try exhaling through your nose as well as your mouth. It will put a whole new face on these complex flavors.
Stick to it! once you get it down you shouldn't be dissapointed. good luck.
Haha, "Hella Rings". That's awesome.
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I have written a pretty detailed description about how to smoke unflavoured or black style moassel here:
http://www.hookah-life.com/events_6.htm

The only change I would recommend to what I have written there is to change the hole pattern 3 small holes per line set 3/8" U.S. apart.

In terms of actual smoking I strongly recommend shallow, cigar style inhales rather then filling your lungs with smoke. The reason being that Salloum Plain and products like it are a bit too strong for those of you used to American/Gulf style moassel. Besides, it's all about the rich tastes that the black stuff can provide.
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I highly recommend reading Hajos' article on traditionals. Everything I have picked up on this forum about traditionals and such came from listening to Abu Ronin and Hajo Flettner. The link provided above served me well.
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:31 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

After my first attempt failed, I tried again just now. I used the tips provided with a very small spoonfull of honey, no glycerin. I used 4 ******* Hookah coals and a standard Egyptian bowl as opposed to the normal Phunnel/Vortex. I gave the bowl time to heat up. After that, I took rapid draws to fire the bowl up. As the bowl heated, the taste and smoke picked up. The taste in my opinion is a very unique taste, very bitter as opposed to sweet. It's not bad, but in my honest opinion Shooting Star blows this away in every way possible. However, it is enjoyable for those who like black mo'assel, and will make you feel very relaxed, indeed. Thanks for the tips guys!

END OF SESSION EDIT: Well I just finished smoking, and Salloum is personally not for me. The session was good, but I just didn't like the taste. Shooting Star for the world!!!!!

Last edited by FarBeyondDriven; October 5th, 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I am pretty encouraged to see that Americans are starting appreciate the traditional stuff. My big hope is that one day a few of the bigger makers of old fashioned stuff (like Ahmed Jurak) will decide to export to the states. Maybe even see one of the numerous American or gulf based brands start selling some similar on a big scale.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I am pretty encouraged to see that Americans are starting appreciate the traditional stuff. My big hope is that one day a few of the bigger makers of old fashioned stuff (like Ahmed Jurak) will decide to export to the states. Maybe even see one of the numerous American or gulf based brands start selling some similar on a big scale.
should this happen, Abu will be dancing in the moonlight like a drunken gypsy!
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
My big hope is that one day a few of the bigger makers of old fashioned stuff (like Ahmed Jurak) will decide to export to the states. Maybe even see one of the numerous American or gulf based brands start selling some similar on a big scale.
I would be overjoyed!
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Magikwyrkz4u
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the wonderful tips, will be doing this when I can afford to buy some.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook