Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Phunnel help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Phunnel help

(I used the search bar to see if there were any helpful hints on this, but if there were i didnlt find any)

So, my small chinese phunnel just arrived from John at CH . And i was just wondeirng what advice you guys have for me in setting it up. I asked the people in the chat and so far this is the suggestions

-fill it to about the same level as the phunnel
-pack it lightly if it is AF or tangiers but just have it loose otherwise
-make three rings around the outside and none in the middle

oh, and if it changes anything, the only coals i have on hand (and i can;t afford any more) are the Japanese Easy-lite coals.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Phunnel help

Fill it to the level of the inner rim. And pack everything loose, just tap new AF cut down slightly. Tangiers is a learning experience. I pack Tangiers loose and get great sessions, others pack it dense. Your coals should be fine, may have to use three but will be fine. I use silver tabs from time to time.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

yeah use 3 coals and let it heat up and if it gets harsh, take one off. when i do use my phunnel i start off w/ 3coals so itll heat up pretty good. exoticas are real good w/ the phunnel. ive got a full box and if u want some ill send u some samples.

yknow, i tried poking my holes like CH John does in his vid, and it works pretty good. (just enough small holes for where the coals are gonna be placed)
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
reality-
Banned

killerb.. That rings poking advice was mine.. well I guess all thoose was me tlaking int he chat but just so u don't get me wrong..
When people talk about "johns rings" they mean the ones he made on youtube vid ( look at chonichookah.com website for link )... I'd tried thoose but never got it to work well.. What I meant with three rings was not jsut where u put ur coal.. It's three rings around the whole bowl as 3 circles.. and dont make them come anywhere near the middle.. That works best for me.. The John way was really killing my shisha since he suses 3 CH coals as well wich is very strong heat! But since u dont have CH coal and probably ur coals are smaller giving less heat, u could try that..
But if it doesnt work out for yah, make three cirles around the bowl instead cus then u could also move around the coals wich u cant if u only make three round circles jsut where you would place the coal..

best advice is: check around in the forum since there is lots of threads about this and u can read and learn from others experience as well! And also check Youtube where there's lot of ppl making the exact same thing and showing you in videos!
Good luck son
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

UPDATE:

i loaded up a bowl of the AF Golden ESK apple (delicious as f*** by the way) and put three coals on with a double wrap of foil... double cuz the stuff is super thin... and the smoke was really thin and wispy but the flaor was great. i lit up a 4th coal and added that on. it was a huge improvement for the smoke density but it started to get harsh so i took off the smallest coal and it is a decent smoke. not quite thick enough, imo. but it is a decent set up. i will ocntinue to experiment.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
reality-
Banned

Great man.. The key is experimenting.. And remeber you shouldn't really need that much tobacco when smoking so if you think "more tobacco more flavour" that is not always the case.. So I would in ur case maybe try to use 3 coals but only 1 layer foil to try it out. or 2 layers and 4 pieces from the beginning and then removing 1 when its starting to smoke..
Also remember.. TASTE is the most importent factor.. I smoke al fakher DA and I donot get neraly as much smoke as you cans ee ppl get on youtube videos and such.. But I get unbelivible good taste and thats the most importent.. Strange cus I have a KM with a razor hose and the smoke is okey but not explosive.. but the taste can be so good anyways so dont get hung up on the smoke..
Good Luck
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Use Johns "Korean Flag" pattern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s9IDw6fq-4
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

just pack it as you would a normal bowl just keep it right at the level of that center hole. the whole x rings of holes in this such a pattern blah no matter what i poke i poke a crap load of holes and have great sessions. on the phunnel just dont poke over the center (this is a debate but meh if you have pull issues then put a hole over the center)

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook