Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Khalil Mamoun vs Nour Syrian

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven
Default Re: Khalil Mamoun vs Nour Syrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdrummer View Post
easy now... its just personal preference. Honestly I think my KM is beautiful and it smokes very well, but I just happen to like Syrians a little more. If i got a syrian, I wouldn't smoke my KM very much any more so I might as well trade it. or sell it and buy a syrian. Thats all. I am not saying KMs are bad pipes. I am simply saying they are not my favorite.
There you go man! Anyways, I know I can not blame the defects of one single KM to the entire stock of KM's manufactured, but this did bother me a bit. Thank God for the gorilla glue, it sealed it right up and now it smokes AND purges like a dream . I think the KM is amazing, hands down. I DO understand what all the hype is about because when you can smoke Shooting Star and you are blowing smoke as big as Al Fakher clouds (even though it's not intended) then you have something going for you. Really I take back my previous comment about "Nour Syrians > KMs" because in my mind it would be like if you had two children...you wouldn't love one more than the other, no! You would love them both equally because they both have their unique characterstics and what not. That's my final conclusion. I think Nour Syrians and KM's are both AMAZING pipes hands down, but I refuse to say one is better than the other. Is that fair? Let me know what you guys think
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

better? no. prefer one over the other? of course.

Old October 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Vegasdrummer
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
There you go man! Anyways, I know I can not blame the defects of one single KM to the entire stock of KM's manufactured, but this did bother me a bit. Thank God for the gorilla glue, it sealed it right up and now it smokes AND purges like a dream . I think the KM is amazing, hands down. I DO understand what all the hype is about because when you can smoke Shooting Star and you are blowing smoke as big as Al Fakher clouds (even though it's not intended) then you have something going for you. Really I take back my previous comment about "Nour Syrians > KMs" because in my mind it would be like if you had two children...you wouldn't love one more than the other, no! You would love them both equally because they both have their unique characterstics and what not. That's my final conclusion. I think Nour Syrians and KM's are both AMAZING pipes hands down, but I refuse to say one is better than the other. Is that fair? Let me know what you guys think
I agree completely. Once you get into the realm of really good hookah pipes it is hard to differentiate between two amazing pipes. They both have incredible qualities. It comes down to preference. Or some people enjoy both!
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

BLAHHH traitor.. i wouldnt of even got the KM. i would just stick with the syrian..
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
BLAHHH traitor.. i wouldnt of even got the KM. i would just stick with the syrian..
Traitor!?!?! Not even close! Everyone here knows I love the Syrians with a passion. Everyone also knows I am very defiant about Syrians...hell I've got it in my blood . I just wanted to try out a KM and I had spoken with my mother about it. She bought this KM for me as an early gift for my birthday. Now how cool is that!?!?!
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
Hajo -- I'm interested in your comments here. I've always been under the impression that common chamber/heart stems are inferior to standard chamber narghiles, although there isn't a lot of conversation about this in the forums. Anecdotally, my KM's and Nour pipes (standard chamber) produce a higher volume of smoke with an easier pull than the ones I own (syrian and mya/chinese) with the common chamber. Can you expand on this?
Take into consideration that Hajo, on many occasions, has stated that he does not inhale. He smokes very delicately from what i can imagine, and loves to mull around and pick the flavors out with his tongue and nose. The 4 hole plate common chamber Syrians have a much tighter pull then KM's and Nour's, which makes it easier for him to smoke the way he smokes. I have recently been smoking this way as well and have found that using standard sized hoses instead of wide hoses is much easier to control smoke flow and volume. The taste in my sessions has been much more enjoyable for this reason, especially my Romman and Tangiers sessions. I can now blow "clouds" without even taking any msoke into my lungs (noticeably).
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

either way it goes he said it has better clouds i win the km is champs! lol then again i could just like screwing with FBD lol
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The question of why I prefer the Syrian style closed common chamber is a bit involved but's not just what I fancy. Note that the closed common chamber is not the same as the Chinese style common chamber seen in Myas & Stargates as such chambers are open.

The real benefit of the 4 hole closed common chamber is that it requires less effort to fill and discharge the smoke chamber when using the same area of inlet holes then with the Egyptian style porting. I know this for a fact as I have used a pressure gauge and a controlled vacuum set I use at work to compare the effort needed for drawing a given amount of smoke using the same tobacco, coals and hose combo. In effect, I have rigged up a "smoking machine" and the bottom line is that the Syrian rigs require about 50% less effort to get the same same volume of smoke. In engine terms this would referred to as volumetric efficiency.

The Syrian arrangement also lets me have greater control over how much smoke is drawn is also an an upside. Given that I want to linger on the flavour as much as possible and I don't try to use my narghile to conceal infantry maneuvers the shear volume is not what matters to me.

Lastly, I have noticed that smaller amounts of smoke sitting in the smoke chamber allow for less opportunity for staleness to become an issue and the charge/discharge cycle of a closed chamber makes purging easier and the smoke denser which gives me greater opportunity to savor what ever texture the smoke has.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; October 7th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Hmmm I thought the Nour Syrians that FBD was talking about had almost the same porting as egyptian styles?
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonman586 View Post
Hmmm I thought the Nour Syrians that FBD was talking about had almost the same porting as egyptian styles?
They do, these are different Syrians, like ones that come apart.
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I only own 5 different Syrian rigs and my comments were with respect to traditional 4 hole, closed common chamber style narghiles. I understand that Syrian rigs with Egyptian style porting exist and and in those cases smoke flow would be mater of passage diameter and general construction methods so I don't think that they would have any special advantage over a well made Egyptian rig.

I will however say that I do believe that on the whole Syrian narghiles are better made then Egyptian rigs in that they tend to use more brass and the metal components have thicker walled construction. I have also noted that Syrian glass and crystal tends to have greater wall thickness and are less prone to have air bubbles and are better tempered then most Egyptian glass. Lastly, I have found Syrian rigs to be less prone to welding defects although the better Egyptian brands don't have much of an issue in this area.

Still, the truth is that if you buy a narghile made by one of the better Egyptian brands you'll most likely have made a good purchase. In all honesty I have not seen any indication that any qualitative differences exist between KM, MZ, Al Ashrey and Shisha King but that the differences are basically personal tastes and marketing hype.

When all is said and done I think my KMs are excellent but my Syrians are better still.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; October 8th, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
wishingnote
Deleted Per User Request

how about we all have a smoke and forget about this thread for quite sometime FBD congrats on the KM and of course your lovely syrians they are all great rigs and thats that.
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

it's all preference and nothing more than that imo

Last edited by shishasmoke1904; October 9th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoke1904 View Post
it's all preference and nothing more than that imo also J&R has some nice looking syrians.
JandR = banned
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

oops i fixed it
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

KM FTW!
Reply Share