Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Is there a better hookah? Or is it just preference.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
MattMat
Hookah Newbie

Default Is there a better hookah? Or is it just preference.

So, I am anticipating that this might start up some debate. I am fairly new to hookah smoking. My wife and I have two hookahs. (I couldn't tell you what kinds they were) The real reason behind my post is that I am dissatisfied with my hookahs and I was turning to the multitude of knowledge that was available via hookahpro. I am looking into purchasing a new hookah and my concern that I have here is that I want to purchase a very good hookah that will last me a while. The problems that I am currently having are: it is dreadfully difficult to get a good pull off of the hookah and I am thinking that this is from the hose and the only way that I feel that I can get flavor is by overheating the tobacco and then it is too harsh and tastes burnt. So, I am hoping that someone can suggest a good solid set up for me. I would hopefully like to have dense, flavoful smoke that doesn't seem like I am trying to drink a milkshake to get. I am trying to find out basically, what is the best hookah.

MattMat

(thanks all in advance for any advice that you may be able to help me with)
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Re: Is there a better hookah? Or is it just preference.

look into better hoses. i hear the razan line is good. i am lookign into getting one myself. you also might try a phunnel bowl for more flavor. you can get both the items from john at *************.com for like 50 bucks all together. and even if it is the hookah, the bowl and hose can transfer over to any other one you purchase.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

I would suggest a quality syrian narghille.They are very solid and smoke like absolute champs.There are also many good egyptian brands availiable, such as Khalil Mahmoun or magdi zadan.John at *************.com has a great selection of all that I've mentioned.Check the reviews of both poducts and vendors for plenty of info.Also, razan and namour are good hoses if your smoking contemorary, glycerin based moassel that produces alot of smoke. Good luck!

Last edited by abu ronin; October 5th, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:28 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Just watchout for that MADE IN CHINA logo. They'll fall apart, have leakage issues, rust and not hit too good.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:39 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

The hose and bowl are 75% of the smoking experience. Even a cheap Pumpkin hookah can smoke well with a nice bowl and razan hose.

I'd say if you really want a good hookah, just buy a name brand from ******* Hookah like KM or MZ. Get a nice washable hose like the Razan and a clay bowl. It's much better than dealing with headaches from trying to suck air from cheap chinese hookahs you buy from the mall.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie View Post
The hose and bowl are 75% of the smoking experience. Even a cheap Pumpkin hookah can smoke well with a nice bowl and razan hose.

I'd say if you really want a good hookah, just buy a name brand from ******* Hookah like KM or MZ. Get a nice washable hose like the Razan and a clay bowl. It's much better than dealing with headaches from trying to suck air from cheap chinese hookahs you buy from the mall.
I'm gonna disagree on this abit.Well, alot. A quality narghille is essential to a quality smoke. I use a $4 clay egyptian bowl(most of the time) and a standard syrian hose and I promise you, they would not perform as well as they do if I was not smoking from a top shelf Syrian shisha. That's not to say there aren't decent low end rigs availiable. but if your serious about maximizing you smoking experience, than a good rig is a must.Just my opnion, of course.
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:19 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I would have to disagree as well, i believe that 75% of the smoking experience is from the hookah not the mods, if you looking for a good set up, get a KM with a razan/nammour hose and a phunnel, you mite be able to pick that up for bout 130 maybe less, and one of the most important parts get some decent coals, otherwise all you would be tasting is coals, i personally like the coconara's and exoticas but my CH coals are coming soon and il let you now how they compare

Quote:

Old October 5th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I don't recommend a funnel bowl unless you are smkoing with several people. They are a waste of tobacco, and coals. I recommend a standard Egyptian clay bowl, a Razan or Nammor hose (because they are big bore and washable), and either a quality Egyptian or Syrian hookah. A KM or MZ is a great choice for an Egyptian. Syrian wise I'd get one with a standard chamber (common chambers are a pain to clean and have trouble purging correctly) like a Nour. Also some Syrians have too short a downstem and need to be modded to make the stem long enough. It's about what you like, big bore hose, and a wide gauge downtube.

Last edited by Dunkel; October 5th, 2008 at 04:43 AM.
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
reality-
Banned

Quote:
I'd say this is more true then the hookah statement.. If u just clean ur hookah out ( and there is no rust ). then you buy a new hose and a new bowl and u have some good tobacco and coal. U just need to study some setups to learn how much tobacco and coal to use, what kind of hole pattern u need and so on. Then the hookah needs to be airtight of course, but some hookahs are really good.. Like KM or MZ.
So if u got enough money buy urself a complete new set, otherwise just clean ur hookah and make some blows through it, if it's airtight then just go for it ( as I said.. unless u have dont feel that a couple of $$ to spend ). then If u have really bad luck the hookah is not really for smoking, its for joking. U notice that when u have done the right setup and with a good hose u still have to suck like a maniac to get smoke, then u got a BAD hookah..

Last edited by reality-; October 5th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Dunkel is right about the Phunnel bowl. My older style phunnel with a Mod only holds about 10-15 grams of tobacco, though. What your problem is, Matt, is most likely one of 3 things. Your center tube could be clogged. As you smoke (using a traditional bowl with holes on the bottom), juices become less viscous and seep down the stem tube into the water. If the center tube is not thoroughly cleaned every week or so, depending on the amount of sessions, gunk will build up on the inside. You avoid all this wil general cleaning methods though.
Another problem could be, as you stated, your hose. As you smoke, gunk builds up in your hose. At first it is gooey, but over time it dries into a crust. If you allow this to build up for too long, it could completely block airflow, like a clogged artery. A new hose is needed here. To test the hose, blow on one end when it is not connected to the hookah. If air is easily displaced, it is clean enough to use. If you have more resistance then you think you should, you need a new hose. I would recommend a washable one, a Razan or Nammor. Your hose could also have too many different strong flavors left inside it by the grime. The flavor you are smoking will not come through.
The other problem could be an airleak. Your hookah may not be airtight, and you would need to check all spaces.

my Recommendations:
If you are smoking with your wife and 2 or 3 friends normally, i would recommend a Khalil Mamoon Egyptian. *************, TheHookah, and HookahGuys all carry these Egyptian style traditional pipes, and they will be sure to please you. I would keep it very clean though.
If you smoke with 5 or more normally, i would highly recommend a Multiple hose hookah, the brand being a Mya. These are one of the most mass produced hookahs, but they are very sturdy and easy to clean and carry. You can change the amount of hoses as well whenever you please.

With whatever you happen to choose, I hope you have a wonderful time with your choice! Or choices maybe?
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

the title of the thread answers itself. it is a preference thing imo, but you need to make it work. I prefer and mz or km with a razan hose and i make it work for me. ihave used a mya hose with this setup and it works fine for me as well. also, i have used a nice quality "cheapie" chinese that performs just great. whatever your setup is you need to make it work
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook