Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The sad state of hookahs in Australia

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Default The sad state of hookahs in Australia

Well, I just cleaned out my local tobacconist of his last Shisha. Asked him if I could order in some higher quality tobacco (only stocked Afzal, I know I know! But the friends I smoke with like the candy flavouring) and he said with the customs duty going up to the same as normal cigarette tobacco, gram for gram, his distributor and none others he knew of were going to import any shisha anymore.

Shisha is classsed as a tobacco product and customs duty is $305 A KILO for anything over 250g. If I order 300g I don't just pay the 50g extra either, I have to pay $90.

So, sad face. I need to make sure I start ordering at least a 250g tub a week and hope that they all come through seperately
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

Default Re: The sad state of hookahs in Australia

Move to the US?
or you could take trips to Dubai and get like...20 kilos at a time.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Gotta get it in through customs. 20kg would cost me $6000 in duty alone if they picked up on it, which I'm sure they would haha
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Wraggot
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Wraggot

Send me a PM man. I just ordered 3kg in and got it through customs.
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

u could try to order from US then make sure they dont put tobacco on the description.. put molasses or flavouring.. 1st time i got stuff from US it was written toacco and i ended up paying $340 for it.. now 2 times i made sure was written flavouring molasses i didnt have trouble.. so its also a matter of luck
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

couldnt you get "gifts" from people

just get some one in the states to send you shisha marked just as a gift and like DM said marked as something other than tobacco and you should be fine

-matt
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

Well not knowing the particulars of Australian import and taxation I'll just suggest a couple of options:

- Start a buying club with fellow hobbyists and have everyone pitch in. If it gets big enough you could set it up so that you can buy and import wholesale which would make the customs fees more manageable. Also it would allow for commercial importation, although that's probably way down the line if even on the table.

- Contact a reputable tobacconist with an organized list of what is popular, what the client pool is like and even its buying power if possible. After all while it may be difficult for specialty stores to stay afloat, but tobacconists that are already importing would probably be able to shoulder your added volume. I know I had no problems filling orders for exotic peculiarities when my customers needed it. After all it's a live market, there's a demand and a dwindling number of shops available to fill it.

- Set up a cycle barter with someone overseas.

- Arrange with a fellow friend somewhere more tobacco-friendly to keep you in steady supply. In small amount, regularly delivered it could work out to everyone's advantage (splitting shisha orders and such).

- Try making your own with locally acquired tobacco and some improvisation.

- And this should probably be further up the list, try one of the herbal blends sold by one of the vendors? I am not sure how well blending of the herbal shisha and regular shisha works out but I am sure with some fiddling you can achieve concoctions equally delicious to anything we can get here. After all if only tobacco is subject to taxation and you only get 250g of traditional shisha and 750g of herbal shisha that has to be more affordable.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You could have it shipped from someone in the states in a giant drywall bucket.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook