Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Burnt Rubber Smell

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

Default Burnt Rubber Smell

Ugh, I tried firing up some Starbuzz Apple Cinnamon tonight, and for the second time in a row I've gotten a nauseating burning rubber smell.

My Setup:
31" Kremlin Hookah
Tangier's Medium Phunnel Bowl
Nammor Hose
Belgian Natural Coals

The last time I smoked it was much fainter. I actually smoked most of the Rosetta Apple Cinnamon in the bowl before I realized something was off. I got a killer migraine afterwards. The next day I cleaned everything up. I first used rubbing alcohol and a brush on the stem. Then I ran some lime juice through the stem, followed by a steady stream of hot water. I cleaned out the phunnel and let it sit in baking soda/lime juice for awhile. I rinsed out the hose with some lime juice and then ran hot water through it. I swished baking soda and lime juice around in the vase.

Fast forward to today, I pack a new bowl and fire it up. Instantly catch a horrible burnt rubber odor. Bad enough to make me queezy. Took one or two puffs and about puked. I took it all apart and the best I can figure is that the bowl grommet is burning, although after cleaning and examining it, it doesn't look deformed at all.

I recleaned everything again using rubbing alocohol and baking soda/lime juice. I can't quite get the smell to go away. It's horrid. Ugh.

Does it make sense that it could be the bowl grommet burning? What else could it be? How do I get this horrid smell to go away?

Good thing I was thinking about ordering a KM soon anyways =/
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Burnt Rubber Smell

I don't know how reliable your coals are, Rollands will do something smilar i believe. Could be the grommit burning as well, although I doubt it if you're using a phunnel. Try replacing the grommits (or making a makeshift one if need be)
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

I've used plenty of these coals before so I'm fairly certain they aren't the culprit.

I used the last of my coals today though, I should have some arriving tomorrow or Friday. Once they get here I'll try using a make shift grommet. Though it's going to be hard to tell for sure because I still can't get the smell to go away completely.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese86 View Post
Ugh, I tried firing up some Starbuzz Apple Cinnamon tonight, and for the second time in a row I've gotten a nauseating burning rubber smell.

My Setup:
31" Kremlin Hookah
Tangier's Medium Phunnel Bowl
Nammor Hose
Belgian Natural Coals

The last time I smoked it was much fainter. I actually smoked most of the Rosetta Apple Cinnamon in the bowl before I realized something was off. I got a killer migraine afterwards. The next day I cleaned everything up. I first used rubbing alcohol and a brush on the stem. Then I ran some lime juice through the stem, followed by a steady stream of hot water. I cleaned out the phunnel and let it sit in baking soda/lime juice for awhile. I rinsed out the hose with some lime juice and then ran hot water through it. I swished baking soda and lime juice around in the vase.

Fast forward to today, I pack a new bowl and fire it up. Instantly catch a horrible burnt rubber odor. Bad enough to make me queezy. Took one or two puffs and about puked. I took it all apart and the best I can figure is that the bowl grommet is burning, although after cleaning and examining it, it doesn't look deformed at all.

I recleaned everything again using rubbing alocohol and baking soda/lime juice. I can't quite get the smell to go away. It's horrid. Ugh.

Does it make sense that it could be the bowl grommet burning? What else could it be? How do I get this horrid smell to go away?

Good thing I was thinking about ordering a KM soon anyways =/
If it's happening instantly when you light it up I doubt it's the grommet, it takes awhile to heat up. The only time I've had a rubber or silicone burn is when I had the coal too close to it on my Bambino, NEVER during an actual session. What kind of foil do you use?
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

Grocery store brand aluminum foil.

It's all I've used up until this point and I've never had a problem before.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Grocery store brand aluminum foil.

It's all I've used up until this point and I've never had a problem before.
Only thing else I can think of is a bad batch of natural coals maybe. Good luck finding out the problem.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:27 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

I may not even bother, this whole experience motivated me to order a KM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I may not even bother, this whole experience motivated me to order a KM.
Even better. Or a Nour Syrian
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

Got a green 36" KM Pear on the way from John @ CH.

Can't wait.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I actually smoked most of the Rosetta Apple Cinnamon in the bowl before I realized something was off.
There's your problem. Rosetta, i'm pretty sure, is rubber with added molasses. It's by far the most sorry excuse for moassel ever. I tried smoking the god awful blueberry once, and it left a rubber perfume taste in my hookah for about a week. It was terrible.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

I had smoked the Rosetta a handful of times before and it was actually very good. Tasted great and smoked almost as well as the SB.
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I had smoked the Rosetta a handful of times before and it was actually very good. Tasted great and smoked almost as well as the SB.
Blasphemy!!!!
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
This may have been the hardest i've laughed in all my time of being on HP. Thanks man
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

Is Rosetta really that bad?

I started out with the free samples of what I think was Al Waha. The tobacco was fairly dry, didn't smoke well, and had mediocre taste. A buddy picked up some of the Rosetta and just looking at the shisha, it looked way better. Smelled amazing, looked real moist and gooey, and when we lit it up it smoked twice as good as the other stuff.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

So after a half a bottle of rubbing alcohol, more lime juice, and some beer I finally got the smell out of my hookah. I fired up my small Egyptian bowl and started up the hookah with no grommet. No smell or funny taste. Then I put the grommet in for a bit, and still no funny taste. After smoking the rest of it I switched out the egyptian bowl with my medium tangier's phunnel. The instant I put the tangier's bowl on it started smelling funny. I took the bowl off, removed the grommet, and put it back on. Cleared out the hookah and the smell stopped and I got no funny taste. The grommet is a bit thick for the phunnel bowl so about half of the grommet is still exposed. So somehow my grommet just doesn't work well with the phunnel and it causes it to burn. Odd.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Is Rosetta really that bad?

I started out with the free samples of what I think was Al Waha. The tobacco was fairly dry, didn't smoke well, and had mediocre taste. A buddy picked up some of the Rosetta and just looking at the shisha, it looked way better. Smelled amazing, looked real moist and gooey, and when we lit it up it smoked twice as good as the other stuff.
It may smoke better than AW, but save for a select few flavors many view Rosetta to be subpar shisha.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook