Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Anyone having problems with CH QL's?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 10th, 2008, 03:18 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006
Default Anyone having problems with CH QL's?

I recently got some CH QL's and i have had a bit of a problem with them, they light perfectly and smoke really well, but since i started useing them, after every couple of pulls something builds up in my throat and this usually doesnt happen with other coals, my set up it a Mya paragon 33", a nammour hose and a chinese phunnel, i now they aint a problem with the shisha or the phunnel because i used the same set up and instead of CH QL i used coconara's.

Does anyone else have this problem as well?
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Anyone having problems with CH QL's?

Does if feel like a burning sensation in the back of your throat when you use these coals? For some reason, I get it sometimes too! Its not harsh, but it really feels like something burning in my throat when I take some pulls with these coals

Also, Idk why, but they lose heat really easily, even though they are fully lit and I keep flipping them. Still good coals though.
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Yh I have the same burning sensation it's not harsh tho, didn't now how to describe it but yh it was like that

Have u tried the natural and do u have the same problem with them?

Yh the heat on the ql do go quickly but I just add more to compansate

What type of bowl r u using?
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
Yh I have the same burning sensation it's not harsh tho, didn't now how to describe it but yh it was like that

Have u tried the natural and do u have the same problem with them?

Yh the heat on the ql do go quickly but I just add more to compansate

What type of bowl r u using?

Ya I get it with the naturals as well. My theory is that an ember falls through the foil and burns the tobacco for a few seconds as you inhale.

I got this while using a fake phunnel used with foil in an egytian.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
wishingnote
Deleted Per User Request

this is so weird i get the same problem i smoked 3 bowls lastnight and i noticed the first one i got a weird tingeling in my throat and i thought it was my expired af but then it went away, then i had some blue mist and i had no problems with my throat but towards the end of my session my coals produced very little heat. Them my last bowl which was some citrus mist i got that tingeling feeling again which i thought i was burning but it had no harsh taste to at all. Even though that the coals did that i still really enjoy them alot better than most or all of the coals out there.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

pack it like john does 4 rows of 4 and only 3 with a large phunnel and it should even out
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
wishingnote
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_one87 View Post
pack it like john does 4 rows of 4 and only 3 with a large phunnel and it should even out
i talked to him about that and he said after awhile with that set up he does not get that much smoke do you have any problems with that set up?
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

I use 3 QL on a small phunnel, im going to try again today and see, but the tickling is really irratating and i cough i few times cos of it, might go back to cocnara's
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

no i usually make 6 patches of 4 so i can move them around
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
cigarparlor
Hookah Newbie

i don't have that prob with ******* ql's but I am having a problem with the length of time that they are useable. i have a small phunnel and 3 coals only seem to last me 30-40 minutes...think a windcover would help them burn longer?
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:19 AM
dwicker21
Hookah Nut

a wind cover always helps them burn longer... if it's 10 or 20 minutes more... it's still 20 minutes more smoking for you lol
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Everyone that is having this problem are you putting a hoil in the middle of the phunnel?, if you are this is the problem dont put holes in the midle or near the middle of the phunnel, and you dont get this problem
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i put holes everywhere and dont have a problem. ?
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Never had a problem.
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
kingboyb
Banned

I've gone through a good clip of CH QL's and Nattys and have never had this issue. If I do get any throat irritation, it is because of the crap shisha that I am trying that session.

I noticed that badboy didn't mention the shisha he was smoking. I am willing to bet that it was a more tangy flavor of a newer AF cut. This seems to be the case with newer production dates of citrus mist and tangerine dream for SB.

Newer AF needs to be acclimated before smoking for at least an hour. It sucks that this needs to be done, but the smoke is so much smoother afterwards, its worth the wait. This especially holds true of people that may have bought tobacco from somewhere that is geographically very different from where they are (like southern california to London).

Bottom line, I find it hard to believe that anyone can have irritation from CH coals and not from CocoNaras because they are essentially the same thing!
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

THats what i was thinking but it used to happen but since i started making less holes it aint a problem anymore, and i was using SB blue myst whhen it first started, and then af grandine with the older cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
I've gone through a good clip of CH QL's and Nattys and have never had this issue. If I do get any throat irritation, it is because of the crap shisha that I am trying that session.

I noticed that badboy didn't mention the shisha he was smoking. I am willing to bet that it was a more tangy flavor of a newer AF cut. This seems to be the case with newer production dates of citrus mist and tangerine dream for SB.

Newer AF needs to be acclimated before smoking for at least an hour. It sucks that this needs to be done, but the smoke is so much smoother afterwards, its worth the wait. This especially holds true of people that may have bought tobacco from somewhere that is geographically very different from where they are (like southern california to London).

Bottom line, I find it hard to believe that anyone can have irritation from CH coals and not from CocoNaras because they are essentially the same thing!
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

i use john's method...

except i dont press down on the side of bowl & foil, well i do, just not too tight. then after about 30mins into the session i would spin/rotate the foil w/ coals (carefully) so the coals are now sitting on the good tobacco, well not sitting but you know what i mean. i don't have any troubles w/ this method, my smoke is thick and dense thru the whole session. this will heat up all the tobacco and not just where the holes were poked.

give it a try.
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by esisomsun View Post
i use john's method...

except i dont press down on the side of bowl & foil, well i do, just not too tight. then after about 30mins into the session i would spin/rotate the foil w/ coals (carefully) so the coals are now sitting on the good tobacco, well not sitting but you know what i mean. i don't have any troubles w/ this method, my smoke is thick and dense thru the whole session. this will heat up all the tobacco and not just where the holes were poked.

give it a try.
Pretty much what I do as well, every so i'll get it , but it's not a common occurance. The tingling in your throat is basically a "i screwed up" indicator.
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
kingboyb
Banned

I have gone back to holes everywhere, and the smoke is fine. I think that everyone has come to recognize that this is a "user error" issue and not any problems with the coals. Can we just end it at that please?
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

people are quick to jump on the bandwagon, the only problems i ever had were because of myself personally =). They aren't the longest lasting coals out there, but for the amount/price I'm convinced they're the best =)
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

I'm curious what people are smoking while they have this problem.

When I stick simply to the classic "sweet" AF flavors or even Layalina, I never have a sore throat. When I smoke Nakhla, Salloum or Tangiers, I get this. I think it has to do with realizing you can't take huge pulls for an hour when you're smoking more tobacco-based shisha without it happening.

John has a lot of these more traditional brands, so I'd be willing to bet most people with his coals are also smoking shisha they aren't used to.
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:54 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

only problem i had was headaches, the only coals that ever got headaches from, always if i use 2 or more,, but if i use one there isnt enought heat lol... so i guess i could try mixing up coals
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook