Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Need Hookah Buying Advice

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

Default Need Hookah Buying Advice

I just started getting into smoking hookah. I have a 3 Hose Glyph that I got from hookah-shisha.com... It smoke ok, but I always strive for perfection. I have heard WONDERFUL things about the famous KM hookahs and there awesome smoke clouds. I was thinking about selling my hookah to a friend for about the same I bought it for and buying a KM hookah. I will mainly be smoking my hookah inside on a nice coffee table. I would like something that isn't too tippy and with decent length hoses. I like to smoke with friends so maybe a two hose would be nice but not necessary. I have about 150.00dollars to spend on a hookah and accessories. I was told to get a KM hookah from *************.com... but there is a lot that are sold out and I want to get the right one, even if i have to wait a bit. Do all the the KM hookahs come with the famous KM hoses I keep hearing about? So, my questions for you guys is.....

What is the best Hookah I can get for 150.00?
Should I switch any stock parts that come with it?
Should I wait for certain KM hookahs from *************.com to come in before buying?
Are there any other places beside ************* and wo********* that I should be looking at?
What is a diffuser do? Should I get one?

Last edited by Quickplaya; October 10th, 2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:22 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill
Default Re: Need Hookah Buying Advice

i'll answer your questions ((to the best of my knowledge)) in the order you asked:

1. My brother and i both have KM's ((a pear and an aurora, 36")) and they smoke beautifully.
The regular km is 90 at *************, and for an extra 10 bucks you can get the pear, but the only difference being the pear shaped insert. just for looks is the only difference, to my knowledge.
2. DEFINITELY invest in a fatty hose. I use a KM and it's beautiful. effortless. but many ppl on here get razaan or namour (sp?) and are supposed to be good quality.
KM hoses at CH.com are 20
Many people would also advise to get a phunnel bowl, but i dont have one nor know how to use one, so i cant truly recommend it.
3. idk, can't answer that. shoot a message to john (username *************) and see what he's got coming in
4. in my opinion, as well as most of the ppl here, *************.com is the way to go. Hookah-shisha.com is supposed to be legit as well. check the vendor section for more reviews.

as far as getting a two hose: I prefer one hose hookahs. Fewer parts, easier to manage. Plus more hoses = greater chance of tipping from someone not paying attention and tugging. I regularly smoke w/ 5 or 6 people from a one hose KM and it's pretty tits. we use the hit, hit, hit pass rule. just my experience.

so a KM pear + a big hose ~ 120 dollars. that'll leave you with some money to pick up some coals/shisha.

i hope this helps happy smoking.

welcome to the community btw.
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

Now when you say get a big hose. Do you mean buy another longer KM hose? Or is the KM hose that it comes with good?
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:31 AM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

u wanna make sure u get a washable hose and i dont think the km hoses are washable so a razan or nammor i would suggest
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

i never wash my hoses so it didn't affect me much (i don't believe they are either, i think they start to break up if you wash them). but jay does have a good point.

As far as the hose that comes with it, try it out first, then pick up a nicer one (razan or nammor) and see the difference for yourself
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

Ok.. Next question. How tall is too tall? They have 41" KM hookahs. Is that too big? What size would be good?
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

sorry, by a BIGGER hose, i mean the thickness (inner diameter) of the hose. not necessarily length.
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

Is there any windcovers for KM hookahs. I will mainly be smoking it inside and don't want the coals to fall on the floor. I don't think the sites I looked at sell windcovers with them.
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:57 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

all the windcovers i've seen aren't tall enough to reach from the tray to over the bowl...
you can:
1. put your tongs on the tray and put the windcover on top of that (so i've heard)

2. i made a "custom" windcover. i'll post a pic of mine in my pictures momentarily. basically i took a 250 gram starbuzz container, took off the top, flipped it over and cut 3 even spaced diameter lines ((results in 6 pie shaped triangles)) and bent those back. i placed the windcover inside that then bent the 6 triangles around the bottom of the windcover and used a hammer to lightly tap them against the windcover to form a tight grip.

and a hookah doesn't HAVE to be a certain height. the height doesn't really affect it too much. but the good ones are usually above 25"... if i'm off base here, i hope one of the other members will jump in with their .02

((i'll pm you when i post a pic of my modified windcover))
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

I personally like height ranges in the Low 30s (i usually smoke my 32 inch KM)....not to hard to clean...but tall enough to be a majestic centerpiece.

As far as smoking goes I really don't notice a difference in smoking short hookahs versus tall....its just a matter of shorter is more stable/easier to clean. Taller...well...bigger is better as far as cosmetics in a lot of cases.

As far as accessories...i definitely recommend a razan hose...have two myself....

Also a fan of the vortex bowl.
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

Ok.. well what about rusting problems. I heard that KM rust if you don't clean them right. How does one clean them right? Also, I heard J & R are better because they are KMs with full brass base so no rust.... any help with this guys?
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Lol that's a bit out of my scope of expertise. AS far as cleaning, i use plain water. I usually throw lemon/lime wedges into the base water while smoking and the citrus does it well. I SUSPECT that, if you're using a cleaning agent, you shouldn't use anything too harsh/abraisive. Mild dish soap maybe?? Or you can look into the video files and watch Sambookah clean his w/ beer ;p
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Quickplaya
Hookah Newbie

Sambookah FTW. I guess I am getting the KM Exotica JR. Green then with Exotica Coals and AL Fahker Shisha then. Thanks for all that contributed.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook