Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Dry ice in the ice chamber?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
scottybee9705
Hookah Newbie

Default Dry ice in the ice chamber?

I know that some people mix salt with the ice in the ice chamber to keep it cold longer and to make it colder...but what would happen if you were to put chunks of dry ice in the ice chamber?
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:16 AM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Dry ice in the ice chamber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybee9705 View Post
I know that some people mix salt with the ice in the ice chamber to keep it cold longer and to make it colder...but what would happen if you were to put chunks of dry ice in the ice chamber?
It's not safe having all the solid CO2 around your hookah. Don't risk it.
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:29 AM
hookahking1
Hookah Newbie

your gonna kill yourself off with all that co2 dont risk it like skyliner said your gonna deplete your body of oxygen causing hypoxia and your gonna pass out
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

He didn't mean the vase, I think he's talking about the KM chiller and similar hookah designs.

In my opinion, a bit too extreme to be worth it
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

What would happen is your hookah would get very cold, you'd get really excited at how good the smoke was, then you would pass out (as noted above). Nice idea tho... dry ice and halloween always do go hand and hand!
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:02 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

it wouldn't get into his lungs if he had it in the chamber. Dry ice vapor is denser than air so it sinks. It would give a very cool effect but I Would be more worried about the metal itself and the integrity of the welds. Putting it on your base is stupid but the may work. Km hookahs have a very tall bowl platform as well adding to the safety.

Oh and I would not try to handle your stem with bare hands. I think it is safe for you and you should try it. It will look damn cool.
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Yet again, keep 911 on speed dial and make sure your life insurance policy is up to date. That will kill you!!!!
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

try it and if he doesnt post tmrw, we'll know what happen and we know to not try it ;x

JP!!!!!
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

As for try ice in the base....if u had water in the base....the CO2 would dissolve and form carbonic acid in the water....also about a million other no-nos with that.

Also with the ice bucket...the point is that it cools the stem which in turn cools the smoke...using dry ice over ice/water slurry could only have a marginally better effect because CO2 does not exist as a liquid under 1 atmosphere of pressure so you would just have chucks of ice there...minimizing the contact/cooling ability with the metal.

Ice/water can coexist at 0 degrees and contact the full surface of the ice bucket so you get the full effect of the 0 degree cooling... (i think dry ice is -70 C?) But as forementioned idk how well that would cool

Combined with the impracticality for getting dry ice by most people (lab students like me can usually get it fairly easily)

I say its a no.

Me and a friend were going to make a sealed dry ice chamber hookah...completely built/machined by us....but we havent been able to get around to it this year...maybe over xmas break.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
mckheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybee9705 View Post
sodium chloride just "breaks" the cohesion of the water making the molecules less magnetic to each other ... (liquid on lower temperature)

theres no harm in it ...

But , salt+(metals who can rust) = bad ...

i don't get how people get CO2 out of NaCl ?
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckheu View Post
sodium chloride just "breaks" the cohesion of the water making the molecules less magnetic to each other ... (liquid on lower temperature)

theres no harm in it ...

But , salt+(metals who can rust) = bad ...

i don't get how people get CO2 out of NaCl ?

he asked about using dry ice (solid CO2)
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
mckheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
he asked about using dry ice (solid CO2)
, oh i see ,

> Honestly i'd do that ... but you have to be careful with co2 it has a great but hard effect ... its dangerous ...

if you wanna try out the effect , (very learnfull)
> when a tap , is out of beer , theres only the gas that pushes it out "CO2" , inhale it and you'll find out ... , make sure you can sit , do this on own risk ...

i was amazed , after two loungs , i fell down ..
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
dwicker21
Hookah Nut

CO2 in the vase where the hookah smoke would go as well is a dumb idea....

on the other hand, if you were to isolate the dry ice in an airtight container and just run the stem throuth it, that would work just fine, just as long as you weren't inhaling the dry ice....

another idea to toss around would be to set your hookah vase in a container of dry ice while smoking, that way you're not getting any of the vapor, but the vase is still being super chilled, just don't try and move it too quickly, because it'll shatter
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Mende
Hookah Nut

Location: Hometown: Severin,Romania| Living in Manchester, UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Mende

I say you'd get pneumonia!)
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

its not inside the vase and so long as its not going iinto the stem or your lungs your all good when i was a kid i would get a 10lb block of dry ice and crack it into 5lb blocks and then get to buckets and drop it in and let my room floor fog up id be breathing that stuff in all day and me and my imaginary friend pombumay are perfectly sane he even reads me the paper lol (obviously im joken about the imaginary friend) but id say try it and just be careful not to get it into the stem you could glad wrap the bowl to make sure it cant get into you bowl or stem

]might wanna glade wrap the stem 2 just for extra precaution never know if it has holes or cracks in the welds
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
dwicker21
Hookah Nut

so end resulting decision.... dun dun dunnnn...
!!!JUST BE CAREFULL!!! and take extra precautions
and we're all like hearin from you, and don't need you to be the first hookahpro.com member to die by hookah, that'd make us all look bad lol

be sure to post about it, because i know others besides myself would love to hear the outcome of this experiment
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

try using the search button, I posted a thread just like it and concluded it's not a good idea because of the chemicals used in dry ice.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckheu View Post
if you wanna try out the effect , (very learnfull)
> when a tap , is out of beer , theres only the gas that pushes it out "CO2" , inhale it and you'll find out ... , make sure you can sit , do this on own risk ...

i was amazed , after two loungs , i fell down ..
Way to stretch your beer lines out!
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
thesauce310
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thesauce310

yeah i'd rather not see the HP on local news (which is full of bs to begin with) because we gave bad advice from someone dying for CO2.... how about you close your door and put the dry ice next to the door so when they see you hookahing in your room with the door closed it looks like you hella hot boxed your room hahahaha but umm. lets keep you out of the headlines for now
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
As for try ice in the base....if u had water in the base....the CO2 would dissolve and form carbonic acid in the water....also about a million other no-nos with that.

Also with the ice bucket...the point is that it cools the stem which in turn cools the smoke...using dry ice over ice/water slurry could only have a marginally better effect because CO2 does not exist as a liquid under 1 atmosphere of pressure so you would just have chucks of ice there...minimizing the contact/cooling ability with the metal.

Ice/water can coexist at 0 degrees and contact the full surface of the ice bucket so you get the full effect of the 0 degree cooling... (i think dry ice is -70 C?) But as forementioned idk how well that would cool

Combined with the impracticality for getting dry ice by most people (lab students like me can usually get it fairly easily)

I say its a no.

Me and a friend were going to make a sealed dry ice chamber hookah...completely built/machined by us....but we havent been able to get around to it this year...maybe over xmas break.

Carbonic acid is in almost all soda drinks, so what?
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Yes carbonic acid is a weak acid.....but i m just saying...like....its actually doesnt stay in "dry ice" form very long once u put it in water because it dissolves into an acid.

Also...even if its a weak acid...its not good to have floating around in your base?
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Also the gas is heavy and cold and will mix with your smoke until you are possibly smoking as much or more of it than you are shisha smoke.
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Based on the above posts.. it looks like normal ice is whats best in a chiller..
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:39 AM
saharasmoker
Hookah Newbie

CO2 sublimes at atmospheric pressure, so you would not be able to contain the resultant gas in a chiller. And if you did it would be the equivalent of a dry ice bomb. Pressure+airtight hookah=broken hookah.
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:50 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

I assume you are talking about putting it in the ice chamber, since putting it in the vase is so stupid I can't imagine anyone trying it.

In the chamber, it would probably 1) cause the hookah to get so cold it might well cause the welds to crack and 2) would let some of the expelled gas into the crack above the chamber, allowing it to get sucked through your bowl.

It's just not worth it. If you want a cold hookah that bad, either freeze an inch of water in the vase before smoking or fill the ice chamber with ice and salt. Either way you'll have an great cooling effect through a full session.

Even
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook