Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

MYA furthers Micro Hookah line

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default MYA furthers Micro Hookah line

Ive been very critical of MYA chasing the micro hookah craze. Looks like we will have more of the same. Once again, MYA unveils more headshop/flea market wares... and ignores much needed design and material issues with the larger.... more utilitarian hookahs they carry.

Heres the pics of the latest gimmickry:

[img width=450 height=600]http://www.myasaray.com/hookahforum/515-265-210-724-062-MYA-L-S.JPG[/img]

[img width=450 height=600]http://www.myasaray.com/hookahforum/533-263-210-396-MYA-L-S.JPG[/img]

[img width=450 height=600]http://www.myasaray.com/hookahforum/521-205-210-MYA-L-S.JPG[/img]
Old August 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: MYA furthers Micro Hookah line

i dont know about you but while mini hookahs are great at times when your traveling personally i dislike them more. a mini one is great as i said for traveling, you can smoke and drive if you wanted to or you could take it somewhere and have it setup easily and it not take up much space in your car or at where you want to smoke at. at the same time i find they get harsher easier than a larger one.

i would rather have one that i have to strap onto the top of my car to take wherever i wanted to take it out (imagine trying to smoke that while driving haha) than have a mini one. i find them to be harder have it go harsh on you and its also a cooler smoke. i smoked out of PP's mya a few days ago and it smoked fine but it was a bit to warm from what im used to. then again i throw every part in the freezer and have 4 hoses i switch between to make sure its cold for 1hr+. i have to say my saying is very bias because that was something of going to someone elses place to smoke rather than smoke at your own place.

Now who is up for getting a KM!?!?!
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I think mya is ripping off of the pumpkin. I won't buy either of them. They appear to be cheaply made.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Well I have to say my QT has never failed me. And they seem to have solid construction except for the horrible pours inside the shaft. Besides that I dont know what people continue to rag on myas. The one thing i have a problem is that their making more and more different smaller hookahs rather then coming up with somthing new. Eh oh well props to mya.
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Oh forgot to add that the "mini mya" looks identical to the old mini....

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

the chic is made out of the Romanian glass.. mya;s new glass factory. this stuff is poor quality, the glass is soft, and the base is made very thin, especially on the bottom. I do not know why mya even came out and said it was the same quality glass; it is noticeably different! there isn't that extra thick glass on the bottom and according to a friend, who happens to be a glass blower, the new glass would have to be atleast 1/4" thicker than it is now because of how soft it is, to even hold up to a minor bump. i hate the new myas, i think they are reallly shitty. I still have some of the Czech-glass bases that have lasted 2+ years of abuse and are still running strong. If you are ever buying a mya base and want to know if it is the new or old style glass jus shoot me a PM..
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I have to say that buying a chinese made hookah has never appealed to me at all. My first (and only) hookah so far is a 22" Egyptian I bought off E-bay. It is air tight and hits great. I smoke twice a day and it always performs well. You can see a weld here and there but that's part of its charm. When I'm in the market for a new hookah more than likely I will get a KM. 22" seems to be about right for me. If I had a smaller hookah I'd be afraid of breaking it. They look like toys LOL!
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:35 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i like smaller hookahs ive never had problems with em but i also got a few bigger ones. over 24'' in height
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well I know that when I have spoken about myas else where i've been condemned as elitist but i've got a lot of experience to speak from and I know a lot of people that used myas before before moving on.

Basically, Mya is focusing on miniature stuff more and more as time goes on and it's clear to anyone that has compared mini with full sized rigs knows that the small rigs smoke hotter and harsher and convey less flavour. The increasingly gaudy styling they have adopted shows me they are focusing ever more on the head shop market.

The real problem with Mya is not size but quality. The glass and pyrex are poorly made and while the are stems shinny they also tend to corrode much more often then arabic made products and they never as good air flow and valve designs as anything I've bought.

What I find so strange is that once you get away from mini rigs the cost of a mya is as much or higher then most high quality Egyptian or Syrian rigs.
Old August 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
hookahpimp
Hookah Nut

see the thing is think of mya's as any hooby, you start off with one you think that they are the best and it isnt untill you smoke out of a km or Mz that you realize that its time to upgrade... if that makes any sesnce
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

They are definitely targeting the amateur smoker with these things. They are ugly, cheaply made, probably smoke like shit, and did I say they're ugly?

On a serious note, MYA, you guys need to some out with solid brass/steel pieces. Until then, all your crap is just that...crap.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

I think Mya's fulfill a specific role, but not one that I completely am interested in purchasing.

If you think of it as a fashion vs. function dichotomy, Myas are becoming much more fashion worthy and a lot less function worthy.

I own Myas, Khalil Maamouns, a solid brass cored syrian pipe and a Al Fakher brass pipe... the Syrian looks a bit shoddy but functions near the best... my SS KM is a nice balance and the Al Fakher is closest to perfect that I have smoked since my first hookah session those few years back.

But it doesn't have to be fashion vs. function... such as my Al Fakher branded pipe. Sure, the vase has thin glass and is similar to getting a Nike Check put on the back of my car, but those vases can be replaced.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well I understand that Mya is often seen as an entry level rig but the problem is that it doesn't do a very good at filling that role. Setting a side the mini rigs that frankly simply can never be good is the fact that mya has really serious quality control problems with not just with glass but crooked down tubes and stems that are prone to rust and tough to clean. To be fair, these problems seem to have been much less common a couple of years ago and so they may go away sometime soon.

Also, given that mya has gotten years of hype they frequently demand top dollar prices and frequently they are more expensive then nice, if unexceptional, Egyptian narghiles one can get from numerous online retailers for less then most myas so they simply are not a bargain. I suppose that the truth is that since myas and mya nock offs have totally flooded the market plenty of people won't do any comparison shopping but simply buy what is most common and gaudy.

Even if the quality control problems were non-existent I wouldn't buy a Chinese rig because I have a problem with supporting slave labour with my disposable income.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook