Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

the tough stuff

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default the tough stuff

Ok so I am a little bit of a nerd. I am really excited because it seems I will be getting my first Hookah for Christmas. We mostly go to a local place now to smoke they seem to know what they are doing and it is kind of a fun date night for us. Anyway I am a little intrigued by the physics of the Hookah. I get that the draw comes from the stem of the vase and the smoke comes down the shaft into the water to fill the space. Is this marvel simply a means of replacing the pressure lost from sucking the smoke out.

What is the significance of the various parts. I know each part can change various qualities of the experience so how do the parts relate and what are their significance? I know for the most part you guys are all about good smoking but I just wonder since there are so many choices what makes a good bowl, vase, hose, etc?

Dumb questions from a newb I know but please indulge me a little.
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Default Re: the tough stuff

Or point me where to look
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

You are correct...about the basic physics of differential pressures being the 'engine' or sorts for the hookah...You are basically creating a vacuum inside the vase...

As far as hookah parts go....less restriction = better. Wider hoses, downstems, etc = more flow ==> easier/more smoke.
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Excellent. That is just a brilliant design for a pipe. Do they ever use Meerschaum bowls for these or is clay king? meerschaum is about the only way I smoke a normal pipe but all I see is clay and those interesting glass bowls.

Are there different packing methods for the different types of bowls. Seems Funnels are a little different than standard clay?
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Bowl packing normally varies depending on the cut/moisture level of the tobacco. (ie packing el nahkla is way different than layalina --- for me at least)

There are slight differences in bowl packing for different materials/styles...as well as different foil patterns...the variance is mostly due to heat management issues.
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

So it is a matter of trial and error?
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

just as a rule o fthumb, for egyptian bowls you want to pull the shisha apart and sprinkle it into the bowl, filling it almost to the top. leave about 1/8 of an inch room from the top of the sheesha to the lip of the bowl to make sure that the foil isnt sitting right on top of the sheesha as it will likely cause burning. I either use my metal screen or a piece of foil and make 2-3 rings of holes around bowl. slap on your coals and go to town.

a phunnel from what i understand (haven't been able to perfect it personally) you load it the same way, but you load it to the same level as the inner cicle where the hole is located. then you slap the foil on top. I found that lust making hole EXACTLY where your coals are going to be makes this work a little better. some people put one hole in the middle of the bowl where the smoke will travel down the stem to make pulls easier, and others say that doing so ruins it. i neevr tried it but i plan to in the future.
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

thanks
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Keep in mind, that most of the quality of your actual smoking sessions comes from the bowl, the tobacco, and the coals, and sometimes the foil/screen and hose -- these are all interchangeable and fairly cheap parts. All hookahs don't differ too greatly from one another. It's a very simple pipe, and they all do the same thing for the most part -- Get smoke from A to B. The thing you're really looking for in a hookah is the quality in which it's made in. As bradedup said, a hookah with a wider stem will have an easier draw. You want something that won't corrode or rust, most hookahs are made from stainless steel or brass AFAIK, but i don't know much on the pros and cons of the different metals used. And of course in a hookah, you obviously want something that's aesthetically pleasing to you.

The main difference between a phunnel and an egyptian bowl is that a phunnel can give you a 2-3+ hour smoke session easily with one bowl's worth of tobacco and a few sets of coals. That'd be a good choice if you want to smoke with a few friends, or if you want to smoke really long sessions. It's also used for some of the more wet shisha, because it prevents the juices from going down the stem of the hookah. Egyptian bowls typically last 45-1 1/2 hours for one bowl, depending on what kind of shisha and coals you are using.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Thanks
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I think of narghiles as basically an engine in that the vaporized liquid that you smoke is cycled through the smoke chamber in much the same way that gasses are cycled through a combustion chamber. I wrote something about that recently when people were talking about Egyptian and Syrian rigs.

All the parts matter. As does the height and with of the smoke column, the purge valves and diffusers (sometimes they are built into the smoke chamber) and a bunch of other stuff. It would be easier to answer you if get a bit more specific about what you want to know about.

Still, the truth is that the best narghile in the world with greatest moassel ever made will taste like crap if you don't use good coals, pack the bowl right for what you smoke and have good heat management.
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
mckheu

, People say the water filters the smoke , bcus it colors .
thats actually because the tobacco liquid drips down the stem and colors it.
(Thats why the water is more red with strawberry than appel)

That's bad because then your tobacco gets dry and burns faster.
> so they made this http://api.ning.com/files/NXg*iUVRWN...HN7/vortex.jpg
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckheu View Post
, People say the water filters the smoke , bcus it colors .
thats actually because the tobacco liquid drips down the stem and colors it.
(Thats why the water is more red with strawberry than appel)

That's bad because then your tobacco gets dry and burns faster.
> so they made this http://api.ning.com/files/NXg*iUVRWN...HN7/vortex.jpg
Yeah those look pretty cool. Do they smoke forever too? I believe we tend to get about 1.5 hours out of a small or medium Egyptian clay head. I don't think we are going to want 2 or 3 hours of smoking at any point. But I do like the idea of the Vortex bowl.

Oh but just because the water color change isn't from the impurities doesn't mean the water doesn't filter. It is pretty much a matter of densities and properties of gases passing through a liquid. The gas is cooled in the liquid and because it is somewhat impeded it gives opportunity for heavier particles to settle out. IN other words I wouldn't drink the water after you are done. Though the effect may be exaggerated by people thinking that the color means something it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be wanting to look into those.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
mckheu

taste the water , its just like biting some tobacco ...

anyway this stuff should be in a wiki , that'd be handy
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
mack65401
Hookah Newbie

To answer your question about meerschaum bowls for hookah, I haven't seen any... That is probably because as you may know meerschaum is a very porous material (magnesium silicate) and it easily absorbs moisture created during the combustion of tobacco (that is the reason it slowly changes in color from white to brown as it is smoked). I think it would make a bad choice for hookah tobacco because it would absorb all of the flavoring agents as well as the glycerin the first time it is smoked and then it would be near impossible to remove the flavor thereafter.
________
Wholesale vaporizers

Last edited by mack65401; May 5th, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack65401 View Post
To answer your question about meerschaum bowls for hookah, I haven't seen any... That is probably because as you may know meerschaum is a very porous material (magnesium silicate) and it easily absorbs moisture created during the combustion of tobacco (that is the reason it slowly changes in color from white to brown as it is smoked). I think it would make a bad choice for hookah tobacco because it would absorb all of the flavoring agents as well as the glycerin the first time it is smoked and then it would be near impossible to remove the flavor thereafter.
That makes absolute sense. The reason they are so great as pipes would be the same reason they would stink as a hookah bowl. Thanks. That makes a ton of sense.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook