Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

State of the Hookah Union Address

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Default Re: State of the Hookah Union Address

need to bring el ashreys and shishaking into the states
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
No doubt matt, i bought my wife a tiny glass vase from a glass studio near me, Art of Fire (Foster does beautiful work), but that tiny vase cost significantly more than my Km green pear.
if you watched the artist making some stuff and then tried it you would with out a doubt think every cent was well deserved

-matt
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
mix_tape
Hookah Newbie

Its nice that you're always honest about whats going on around you, you look out for your customers. I don't think a lot of businesses would do that. I always like reading what you have to say and I'm glad you're never afraid to speak your mind.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:52 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

Wow this makes me damn happy and lucky that I got my KM when I did.. but hey now Im hearing the whole chinese hookah is a POS knock off stereotype... are you guys forgetting mya? the True MYA Hookahs these are made in china and are of very high quality. I Know becuase I own 3 and they have held their own and are still going strong! and the last time I checked with them at their warehouse/company they have plenty of hookahs to go around...
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

mya is a "good" chinese example, and there are other too, but there is just so much chinese crap going around that is nothing compared to mya.
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:30 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

oddly enough, w/the market the way it is, and the trade embargos in place, there are afew vendors around that have alot of decent Syrian narghille availiable.
maybe all you name brand label whores should step up to the plate and come over to the DARK SIDE!!!! MWAHAHA!
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I think Mya is better then most Chinese stuff but since that doesn't say much at all it doesn't really address the matter of poor quality. Embargoes are problem but I know that a lot of good Turkish stuff is mass produced and sold in Europa but totally unavailable in the states. Also, a lot of great Egyptian brands are not sold in the states either ( El Ashrey & Shisha King being the biggest ones) so again the problem is what is imported which is strange since plenty of native Farsi/Turkish/Arabic speakers are in the business in the states so why can't someone just buy a container and start selling them?

As to making the rigs in the states I don't see why not. A decent foundry and glass works could mass produce them and sell them for reasonable prices given American technolgy and productivity. The only problem I see with such a plan is that since our hobby is basically a fad I am not sure anyone would be willing to make the long term investments needed to make a go of it.
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
Some generic Egyptians are much better in quality and have a bigger collection than KMs or MZs. Afterall, when u crave a Pizza in Rome, u do not head to Pizza Hut ...
True enough. However, generic Egyptians are a real crap shoot so you never know if you are getting a jem or junk until you try it out and see how it holds up after a couple of years.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:53 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Down in the U.K we aint had real authentic KM's for a real long time now, maybe a shop will get a few but then they would be gone, and who knows if they aare the real thing.

Unlike the U.S vendors the U.K vendors are totally crap, i asked one for a KM and they tried selling me a cheap chinese that i now would break in a matter of weeks.

After that incident i stopped buying from any U.K vendors cos i have had a couple of bad experiences, and one of them actually started stocking Coconara's but i refuse to buy them even tho they are cheaper then getting them from the U.S
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
need to bring el ashreys and shishaking into the states
I happen to know for a fact that el ashrey is looking for a distributor stateside. It would simply involve the capital to buy a cargo container full of shishas.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
The only problem I see with such a plan is that since our hobby is basically a fad......
Bite your tongue Hajo. I hope not and don't believe that but we can open a thread about that separately.
(quick thread jack Hajo, I have sent my father inlaw to Tyre on a mission to find the shisha nazi, more to come later)
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
I happen to know for a fact that el ashrey is looking for a distributor stateside. It would simply involve the capital to buy a cargo container full of shishas.
Do u have their contact here? I'd like to buy me one of those !
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:22 AM
buddha548
Hookah Nut

hey the Egyptian do a lot of km's go around Egypt if so how much do they go for there?
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Xazon
Hookah Nut

nice post dude you are right about all of the things they are all Knockoffs but shisha u can get all over the world and coals
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:45 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Bite your tongue Hajo. I hope not and don't believe that but we can open a thread about that separately.
(quick thread jack Hajo, I have sent my father inlaw to Tyre on a mission to find the shisha nazi, more to come later)
Sadly John, I think Hajo is partly right. Alot of us found hookah to be a hobby, and something that brings friends and family closer. I say this with no offence to anyone; HP members, Vendors, and Sam. I'm willing to bet that 45% of the poeple on the forum (actively posting) will be gone in the next 8-14 months due to lack of interest. The hookah economy is college fueled, and there will always be a need for hookahs and it products. Just what I think we are seeing now, is an approaching climax of hookah into the mainstream. Like all cultures that hit mainstream, never stay mainstream.
On a different note; I own a chinese knock off that has done flawless wonders for me for the past 2 years. I own a brandname that has been a headache, but the quality of the metal is outstanding. That is the only reason I am not wrapping it around my knee, so I've just hit a few bumps in the road. Few new parts and it will be a knock out.
This is just a wave we all have to ride out and it will come and go. The crap will flood in and it will be bought up. Soon interest will begin to slow, and maybe some real quality products will be rolled out to revamp the industry.

/root
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

I am amazed that it is getting as popular as it is. It is kind of exciting to be a part of something on its way in for a change. I usually get into things like I did with Cigars and Pipes. With pipes years after their heyday and with Cigars just a few short years after the boom busted. The hard part about booms is there are a lot of cheap knock offs that are hastily put together to take advantage of an emerging market with no thought to what makes the market emerge. What will happen if it does bust in the next 8 to 14 months is the good stuff will be a bit more readily available to those who do it for the enjoyment more than for the fad. Post Boom cigar market was a cigar lover's dream. Post Hookah boom market should be a Hookah lover's dream. Except for those areas where there isn't a lot of built in market. I am surprised it has taken so long to hit Nashville considering our Arabic population has been steadily growing for many years. It seems I run into more Persians than anything else around here.
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:34 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha548 View Post
hey the Egyptian do a lot of km's go around Egypt if so how much do they go for there?
KMs are made here so yes they are available, however they do not get much of the reputation they get out of Egypt. To get one myself I had to go to their own retail shop to buy one. It was less than $30
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
I am surprised it has taken so long to hit Nashville considering our Arabic population has been steadily growing for many years. It seems I run into more Persians than anything else around here.

Don't want to be a pain in the neck, but I guess u mean Arab population, and most importantly, Persians are not Arabs !
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Persians are not Arabs !
good point! very common misconception here in the U.S.
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

...no wonder I couldn't find a KM online anywhere, was trying to find one, but now I know why I can't find one! Thanks for posting this "State of the Hookah Union Address"
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I see some things in this thread that make all sorts of sense...

I believe that the influx of cheap chinese hookah is due to the faddish nature of the hobby. Not many young people that are attracted to hookah are ready to commit to the price tag of a $79 or better priced rig...so they opt out for cheaper made $29 jobs that break and rust easily...or are just poor designs. This can lead to the new smoker to think that hookah is isnt worth the effort or cost due to the poor performance. Results well below expectation.

This leads to abandonment.

The downside of selling quality traditional hookahs is that once you have one.... theres not much need to replace it. Unless it befalls an untimely breakage due to accident......the only way a person would need another one is YEARS down the road when something finally does wear out it out.

So you are forced to try and reach the new buyer market with tradtional rigs...but how can you do it with the price points the way they are? How are vendors gonna keep the store open by just giving them away (basically)?

Personally I think its somewhat of a good thing to let the KM and MZ market rest a while. Let the demand for them build up once again while offering some of the things we dont see everyday , like some of the more obscure Syrian and even Turk models. I personally loathe online shopping for hookah, to me, everyone basically has the same stuff these days..... So many sites are Sahara and HH affiliated and carry all the same stuff. Others that carried traditionals have sluffed them off for the Chinese offerings.There are a few braver souls out there (like *******) that go out and pick up some cast Syrians and sell em. The pool is stagnant...and I do look forward to vendors having to tough it out and go to market for something to stock.

I personally think the shift is due to the price point...and that the new Chinese stuff has a modern look that appeals to "head shop" clientele.... and when you can sell that stuff en masse to retailers... your gonna jump on the train to make that buck... no blame...its just business.

I think we all will be able to find a good traditional hookah 10 years from now...when the "kids" have moved on to whatever it is.... Im not sure it will be as easy to find what we are looking for then with the usual suspects shifting to the latest low cost offerings.

If theres not much to be found...I'll just hit the ME online gift shops and find it there...pick out another good hookah that will last me the next 5-10 years and not bitch too much about the $25 shipping.

I heard rumblings about three years ago when a distributor told me that he was pretty much "getting out of Egypt".

What can you do? You gotta go where the money is right? Cant run a business on simply "what you would like to do".
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

As to Mya I have way more experience with that brand then I could ever want. When I owned a narghile cafe/book & record store in the states I started out buying 100 QTs and 100 higher priced Myas (the model name I can't recall any more but it had a pyramid shaped base and was about 32") and within 6 months I had significant problems that resulted in about half of the TQs and about a third of the other model needing to be tossed. I slowly switched to KM and El Ashrey over the course of the next six months and had no problems what so ever other then the occasional vase getting broken which is part of owning a cafe. I gave away what few Myas weren't trashed to my better customers when I had enough KMs and El Ashreys.

Since then my experience with Myas has gotten worse with the various models I bought or were given to me as gifts. I have known so many people that have had horrid quality problems with Mya that I wouldn't take one if they were free.

As to why people buy crap rigs the answer is that they have idea how to judge a narghile for quality construction so anything shinny and mod looking is what they will buy if it's cheap. Often times people are happy with crap for the simple reason that they can blow big clouds and get sugary tastes and that is the extent of what they expect.

The good news is that within a couple of years i'd be willing to bet that 70% or more of the people that smoke will have gone on to find a new trend to follow. When that happens we will see a massive decline in crap sales as the people still into this hobby will want quality products and know how to use them.
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Don't want to be a pain in the neck, but I guess u mean Arab population, and most importantly, Persians are not Arabs !
I noticed that when I was in Nashville in June at a conference. Talk about not expecting that in the middle of America!

Thank you John for keeping HPers abreast of just how difficult things are on the supply end. You are always looking out for us!

I agree that if someone had the skill, knowledge and wherewithal to produce stateside there could be a real market. I mean if those thousand dollar hookahs are selling there has to be a market for it.

Last edited by Kalkail; November 1st, 2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Sorry. we do apparently have the largest Kurdish population in the US. However, usually when I am finding Hookahs or hookah places they are run by Persians and/or Lebanese people.

Also sorry I guess it is Arab people and Arabic is a language right?

So maybe to make my previous statements more accurate I should say we have a large Middle Eastern Population. South of Nashville I mostly meet Persians and Egyptians. None of the Egyptians smoke Hookahs and most of the Persians I meet do and I find that odd for some reason. Probably because Egyptian hookahs are so popular. Any way it is still surprising that there aren't more Hookah places. Though I am finding now that almost all of the discount tobacco places have some Hookah stuff albeit a small selection. But it can be found.

Sorry didn't mean to misspeak.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Sorry. we do apparently have the largest Kurdish population in the US. However, usually when I am finding Hookahs or hookah places they are run by Persians and/or Lebanese people.

Also sorry I guess it is Arab people and Arabic is a language right?

So maybe to make my previous statements more accurate I should say we have a large Middle Eastern Population. South of Nashville I mostly meet Persians and Egyptians. None of the Egyptians smoke Hookahs and most of the Persians I meet do and I find that odd for some reason. Probably because Egyptian hookahs are so popular. Any way it is still surprising that there aren't more Hookah places. Though I am finding now that almost all of the discount tobacco places have some Hookah stuff albeit a small selection. But it can be found.

Sorry didn't mean to misspeak.
Yes Arab is the people and Arabic is the language

No problem I know u meant well You are a decent, polite guy .

And btw, Kurds are not Arabs either
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook