Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Desi Merli Rules!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Re: Desi Merli Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicare View Post
Thanks Hajo, I just read the article. now when you buy from hookah1 and it says like additional dollar for te flavor does that mean it will come with the glycerin and honey already on it?
No, you add $1 for the flavoring or else it comes unflavored. This is Indian tobacco and is very different than what you are accustomed to. I add 1/8 tsp glycerin 1/4 tsp honey per bowl and it is fabulous! Tell Hookah1 that I sent you and he may waive the $1 flavoring fee.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaBubbly View Post
"Latakia" is a port in Syria on the Med. sounds like the nice name for a flavour.
Latakia is also a style of fpipe tobacco cured over a hardwood fire which originally came from the city of the same name. These most of it comes from Cyrus or North Africa but the real deal is still around. Usually people don't smoke it straight but in a Balkan or English style blend. It is used in some old fashioned moassels but that is pretty rare these days.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; February 22nd, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

gotta get me some Dm soon..
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
AbusiveNapkin
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to AbusiveNapkin

I wanna try the Desi Merli Pistachio, anyone else tried it? Opinions?
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
medicare
Hookah Nut

Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas for school. Little Rock, Arkansas during the summer time

Thanks Husky and Hajo I think Zen tossed a sample of it in an order for me to try. I'll let ya'll know what i think real soon!
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Petervonstubb
Hookah Newbie

Yesterday I received an order of a bunch of DM. It's actually a lot more moist than I thought it would be. It's also very finely chopped. I've tried smoking it a bunch of ways with different amounts of molasses, glycerin, honey, and even agave. I found that it taste and works best for me with just a little glycerin added.

I just finished a bowl of Bombay Pan and to be honest it taste almost identical to Tangiers Kashmir. So, I'm going to say that Kashmir is actually Pan. Doing a little research it looks like Pan is made from bentel leaves usually with some other spices added.

Overall, I'm really liking the stuff. It's different than most tobacco you can get out there. I recommend trying it.
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Glad to see new addition to the fan club of the best product on the American market. Paan actually uses tobacco in the recipe as well. I've gotten the chance to eat the stuff and it's great. India recall reading that something like 20% of the tobacco sold ends up in food. They also have something has peas and potatoes and little tobacco in it that they bread any fry.

I really love all the non-fruit type stuff they make but I hear that Special Apple is simple wonderful. I think they have 2 different kinds of Paan. So much cool stuff to smoke and so little time.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:42 AM
AbusiveNapkin
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to AbusiveNapkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I finally got a big shipment in of Desi Merli flavoured tobacco recently (yes, it's dry and not ready to smoke out of the bag) and damn, this stuff blows all the huge Arabic brands away. I've been enjoying Almond, Saffron, Coffee, Vanilla, Cardamon, Khus & [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]Kewra flavours with a bunch of friends and all I can say is that DM is what smoking is all about!

I'm talking rich flavour, like Fladers Red Ale or Gueze or Gueuze/lambic rich. A riot of flavours, complicated and heavy. Heavy as in Orange Sunshine's latest CD heavy. I think i'll donate all my AF to charity as I can't see wasting coals on it any more.

I've had about 15 people smoking in the house today and even though none of them are into traditional stuff they all loved flavoured DM.

Kewra is simply amazing, floral/fruit/latakia/sweet flavours all at once. Khus is more floral toffee/burley/latakia and just amazing.

My taste buds are doing handstands. Wow.
Mind telling the crowd how you set DM up? I'm interested in buying some from texashookah.com but can't really find anywhere that gives a good explanation of directions.
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:36 AM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to FirePro84 Send a message via MSN to FirePro84 Send a message via Yahoo to FirePro84

i'd be interested in a tutorial as well, was thinking of picking some up just because it was so inexpensive, but i'd have to know the proper way to set it up to justify getting some.

thanks!
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:51 AM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to FirePro84 Send a message via MSN to FirePro84 Send a message via Yahoo to FirePro84

upon further looking around...i found Hajo's writings on hookah1.com

Written By: Hajo Flettner of Madrid, NM Hookah Connoisseur 03/26/2008*
These products are less moist then the more popular mu'essel products sold in the states that are fairly moist. The way I recondition is to use 1/4 teaspoon of glycerine and honey with the amount that will fill the bowl. When you mix it be sure to have wet fingers so you can get a good even mix without getting mu'essel stuck to your fingers. After putting the foil on use a pin to get 4 or 5 holes in a line space the lines every 1/4" or so. Use 6 pieces of 3 kings to start and wait about two minutes before drawing on the hose. Reconditioning the traditional Mu’essel in this fashion results in a product pretty close to what it should be when it’s fresh. When preparing to smoke I have found it best to use a broad, shallow, flat bottomed ceramic bowl of the style commonly used to smoke tombac with capacity of around 30-35 grams. Most American narghile fans lack such a bowl because tombac smoking is not too common here. Luckily, I found that the Tangiers small funnel with the Scalli mod works almost as well for this application. When packing the bowl one should remove any stems as usual and sprinkle the tobacco about so as to “fluff” it up rather then “packed” tighly. The bowl should be filled to within 3mm or so from the top. It is my experience that the best hole pattern is a series of straight lines radiating out from the center of the bowl spaced an eighth of inch or so apart with each line having five holes evenly spaced. A single finger worth of a high quality natural coal broken in to four parts placed at 12, 3, 6 & 9 o’clock is the best coal pattern to use at the start of the session. Once you’re getting a decent amount of smoke, quickly reduce your coal usage to two pieces and only add back a third or forth piece when you’re no longer getting a decent amount of smoke. Coals should be moved every 2-4 minutes to prevent burning the mu'essel. Depending upon your smoking style you should get 30 - 45 minutes worth of full flavour smoking before needing to add a second set of coals and a conservative smoker should be able to get a solid 60 - 75 minute long session using this method and one and a half fingers worth of coals. Remember that a traditional mu'essel doesn’t produce anywhere near the amount of smoke that an extremely wet shisha will so don’t worry if you’re unable conceal troop movements when smoking a traditional mu'essel. Traditional style products like Desi Murli, Plain Mu'essel Salloum or Shh 'el-beled can give wonderful, rich and complicated flavours and textures using this method and provide a delightful change from the fruit and candy like tastes so common to the American narghile scene. Smoke as you would a cigar and take plenty of breaks while drinking a lot of water and eating some fruit as you would with any other shisha. Let the smoke drift up past your nose as you release it from your mouth to get the full taste.

link: http://hookah1.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_13

now i can make my next order :-)
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Duplicate

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; March 15th, 2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: double post
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The article FirePro84 cited is more suitable for black style moassel like Zaghloul or Salloum Plain.

Basically the way you prepare DM is as follows:

I use a small funnel with a mod or a vortex for this tobacco.
Desi Merli is pure tobacco with no liquid content so you need to mix a 1/4 teaspoon of both glycerin and molasses with the amount that will fill the bowl. When you mix it be sure to have wet fingers. Pack the bowl with the fluff method. After putting the foil on use a pin to get 4 holes in a line space the lines every 3/8" or so. Use 6 half pieces of 3 kings or 4 pieces of natural finger coal to start and wait about two minutes before drawing on the hose.

This tobacco will not produce as much smoke as you’re used to but the taste is excellent and very strong so forget about big clouds and deep inhales. Smoke as you would a cigar and take plenty of breaks while drinking a lot of water and eating some fruit as you would with any other shisha. Let the smoke drift up past your nose as you release it from your mouth to get the full taste.

Be sure to rotate the coals every 5-7 minutes.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; March 15th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
texashookah
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

We have the directions on our website on how to use Desi Murli. Just go to http://www.texashookah.com/desimurli.html. They are the same directions as what were posted right above.
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

It's really great to see a second vendor carry DM. As far as I am concerned Desi Merli is the best product in the U.S. market right now and hopefully more people will give it a try.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:20 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

i got a sample of dm from thunder today... this product is awesome... i hope everyone has a chance to try it... i will be making an order and adding this line to my menu... damn this is good. I know im a fan of af, sb etc... but this.. is just... there are no words. try it.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I'm glad people are getting into something that doesn't taste like food/dink/candy/weird chemicals a la SB/Fantasia. Be sure to use a high quality light to amber (no blackstrap!) molasses and thoroughly mix before smoking. Also, go easy on the glycerin I use no more then a 1/4 ts in a vortex or medium funnel.
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

I received a shipment of DM Spicy Apple and Sweet Apple yesterday. I must have got a very fresh batch because it doesn't seem to require any additional glycerin.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I'm glad people are getting into something that doesn't taste like food/dink/candy/weird chemicals a la SB/Fantasia. Be sure to use a high quality light to amber (no blackstrap!) molasses and thoroughly mix before smoking. Also, go easy on the glycerin I use no more then a 1/4 ts in a vortex or medium funnel.
ya can't shake that starbuzz 69 eh Hajo.
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

SB is sort of like celebrities in they seem pretty from a far, are heavily hyped & overpriced and are seen as something to aspire to. In reality both are fake and represent the the triumph of marketing over substance and salesmanship over product quality. In short, not worth the time or money.
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

I just made my first order for Desi Murli. Hajo, I really liked the Contentment samples you sent me last year. It was a real eye opener to what I've been missing out on all these years. I'm hoping I will enjoy the Desi like how I enjoyed the Contentment. I ordered plain, khus, kewhra, and roohazfa.
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thanks for the kind words. While I haven't been able to score any Contentment in quite a while I should be heading to Iran this Summer so I hope to get some. I am still working on getting some Syrian stuff but it's not easy.
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Smoking DM Spicy Apple now. No sign of any Apple flavor, just like a huge cigarette/cigar !
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
Smoking DM Spicy Apple now. No sign of any Apple flavor, just like a huge cigarette/cigar !
yeah, the spicey apple didnt really carry too much flavor for me either.
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The fruit flavours are subtle in some DM flavours so you need to smoke it with a lot of attention to the background notes and don't inhale it like you would a normal moassel. Other then that i'd say that you need to choose a very mild & light molasses when you add it to DM and mix well. Lastly, some of the flavours are more assertive then others. I for one really like the non-fruit flavours like Kewra, Khus, Pan, Pan Rasna & Roohafza. Sweet Apple and Red Apple are my favorite fruit flavours they make.
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

wonderland had me take a few hits of it while i was down at his cafe and it was pretty good stuff
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook