Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Desi Merli Rules!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 5th, 2009, 12:33 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Desi Merli Rules!

Hell, I did not feel a buzz while smoking, but lo and behold, an hour later it buzzed the shit out of me .......
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:30 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

i added 6 desi merli flavors to my menu to test the waters... plain, coffee, watermelon, khus, roohafza, and spicy apple... all of which are very tasty... ill do written reviews when i get around to it. good stuff...
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

My Desi order is finally arriving today. I do have a question about storage. I have several of these containers http://www.healthylivingandhome.com/...2/gladware.jpg (the ones on the right). Being that this is a dry tobacco, would this particular container be sufficient for storage? Thanks for your help.
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I just use Ziploc Bags. I mix in molasses before each session though, so the DM is stored completely dry (well, not completely...).
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

Is Desi drier than Nakhla Zaghoul?
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yes, but the little moisture it has is more watery then gooey.

The flavored stuff has more moisture.
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hookah1
Vendor

Thumbs up Re: Desi Merli Rules!

Hi guys,

thanks for all of the positive feedback. My family has dealt with the family who produces Desi Murli for years now. We are the only group outside of India who has access (in India, the product is available to those who "know"). The product is produced at a small family plantation that has been around for around 150 years.

The flavored stuff came about as an accident. In short, when I was in India, a little over a year ago, we met and smoked some of their plain stuff. After a bit, I suggested we try some flavors, the youngest son reluctantly agreed to experiment with me. Anyway, all of the flavors have been an experiment where we have been figuring it out as we go along.

If you have suggestions, let me know and I will see what can be done. I am glad that this little experiment is being appreciated. I want to thank all of you and especially Hookahpro, because if not for you guys, this product would be enjoyed by only a handful of us.

Regards,

Kamal
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah1 View Post
Hi guys,

thanks for all of the positive feedback. My family has dealt with the family who produces Desi Murli for years now. We are the only group outside of India who has access (in India, the product is available to those who "know"). The product is produced at a small family plantation that has been around for around 150 years.

The flavored stuff came about as an accident. In short, when I was in India, a little over a year ago, we met and smoked some of their plain stuff. After a bit, I suggested we try some flavors, the youngest son reluctantly agreed to experiment with me. Anyway, all of the flavors have been an experiment where we have been figuring it out as we go along.

If you have suggestions, let me know and I will see what can be done. I am glad that this little experiment is being appreciated. I want to thank all of you and especially Hookahpro, because if not for you guys, this product would be enjoyed by only a handful of us.

Regards,

Kamal
DM sounds even cooler now.
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Hi guys,

Regards,

Kamal
First of all, thanks for chiming in Kamal. We always encourage vendor
participation in the discussions.But most important, thanks for taking the risk and carrying this product. While Desi Murli will clearly not appeal to many fans of contemporary moassels, this product has a small (and growing) fanbase among those of us who enjoy the more traditional tobaccos.CHEERS!
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Hi guys,

Regards,

Kamal
I have have been a huge promoter of Desi Merli because I believe it to be the best brand easily obtained in the states or Europa (Salloum is a distant second in my opinion) and it's great that you provide it. When I tried it in India I loved the stuff and I can't think of anything I'd want to see changed although I smoke mainly the non-fruit flavours.

The only suggestion that I would make is that you carry more stuff from India, namely the Ahmad brand Jurak line which is simply amazing in all ways.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

My DM shipment came in today. The Khus bag was ripped open and the juices were all over in the inside of the bag. The bags that they come in say 200g. Have the portions changed?

Regardless, I setup a bowl of Kewra and pre-treated it with glycerine and honey. Wow.. this stuff lives up to the hype. I know DM is gaining popularity but if you haven't tried it yet, you really need to.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I was wondering about the wight as well so I plunked it on a scale I got some a while back and sure enough each pack is 300+ grams.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngriestPhx View Post
My DM shipment came in today. The Khus bag was ripped open and the juices were all over in the inside of the bag. The bags that they come in say 200g. Have the portions changed?

Regardless, I setup a bowl of Kewra and pre-treated it with glycerine and honey. Wow.. this stuff lives up to the hype. I know DM is gaining popularity but if you haven't tried it yet, you really need to.
The flavored stuff I think comes in 200 grams, and the Plain comes in a cellophane-type plastic bag that says 300 grams and has the DM logo.
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:11 PM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

Is Desi Merli from India? My brother goes there often for years on business and I never asked him to bring me anything. He's leaving in a few days to New Dehli. Is it available there? How about customs on it when you bring it in?
THANKS
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaBubbly View Post
Is Desi Merli from India? My brother goes there often for years on business and I never asked him to bring me anything. He's leaving in a few days to New Dehli. Is it available there? How about customs on it when you bring it in?
THANKS
I've been to India on business like 9 times, never saw any shisha or hookahs while there. He might be able to find it in Delhi if he looks hard enough though. Sounds like a good adventure to send him on
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Speaking of DM, rather than adding glycerine I've been mixing it (Spicy Apple) with AF Golden Eskandarani lately. Pretty good results
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

Be careful when handling this stuff. I've just had two of my four flavors grow mold on me.
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Be careful when handling this stuff. I've just had two of my four flavors grow mold on me.
woh, how did you store it. And can normal shisha have mold grown on it? I have some that is over a year old...
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
AngriestPhx
Hookah Nut

Stored in gladware containers. So since I lost large amounts of plain and kewra Desi, I pre-treated the khus and roofahzfa with glycerine and honey. Hopefully they will last longer.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Stored in gladware containers. So since I lost large amounts of plain and kewra Desi, I pre-treated the khus and roofahzfa with glycerine and honey. Hopefully they will last longer.
Both glycerin and honey are natural preservatives. This should help prevent such an occurrence in the future.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook