Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cultural question for my Egyptian friends.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Cultural question for my Egyptian friends.

Shisha is the name used for the pipe in most middle easter countries. It comes from ****!sh (if edit is needed please contact me) which i guess you know what its it which was what the generally used when narguileh was first brought to middle east.

Cheers
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I always thought that the word shisha had it's roots meaning glass but my etymology isn't so great so I may be wrong.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I always thought that the word shisha had it's roots meaning glass but my etymology isn't so great so I may be wrong.
according to one of my middle eastern friends shisha means glass but im not sure how much of arabic he knows, i know he can kinda speak a little but i dont think he knows it very well, i know he has a very hard time reading
-matt
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
DJ HOSSEIX
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
according to one of my middle eastern friends shisha means glass but im not sure how much of arabic he knows, i know he can kinda speak a little but i dont think he knows it very well, i know he has a very hard time reading
-matt

in farsi shisha means glass
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

F*** etymology. itll get you nowhere sometimes.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Why on earth are you concerned about offending your neighbor if you plan to smoke on your own property?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Why on earth are you concerned about offending your neighbor if you plan to smoke on your own property?
Common courtesy. You do not - for example - eat meat in front of a Buddhist neighbor, and some people are corteous enough to avoid eating and drinking during the day during Ramadan in front of fasting muslims.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
Common courtesy. You do not - for example - eat meat in front of a Buddhist neighbor, and some people are corteous enough to avoid eating and drinking during the day during Ramadan in front of fasting muslims.
Indeed. Perhaps it is rare in America but I don't want to be a stumbling block or a cause of strife between my neighbor and I. We share a duplex and as you might expect that already has its disadvantages. We hear each other sometimes and what I do to my house or property affects the value of his and vice versa. We also interact periodically. It is somewhat unavoidable. Having neighbors that close I just want to make sure that in my adopting something from his culture that it wouldn't be in someway offensive or like a slap in his face.

Like I say I don't know much about Arab cultures at all. I had recently heard about growing tensions in another country had lead to some non-Arabic Christians had somehow developed an idea that Hookahs (which to my understanding are not even common in their country) were offensive because in some way it would give the appearance of sharing beliefs that they do not have. To some people that is very serious so they avoid it. I wondered if in a country where there were far more Arab people would the tensions be worse and would they have the same kinds of problems with it. I have pretty much found from this thread that it appears that the problems in Ethiopia may stem more from political and racial tension more than anything else and it may also not be wide spread throughout Ethiopia. In fact it is possible that it is just one family or a few. Egypt while possibly having tension doesn't appear to have the same kind of issue atleast not in any kind of widespread way.

You are correct. I could just say it is my property and none of his business but I can keep it inside. It isn't any skin off my nose to do that and while I would prefer not to have a buildup of smoke even if it is fruity smelling in my furniture and carpet I can find other ways around it if it were going to cause problems between me and my attached neighbor.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
Yipes! Talk about restricting your own personal freedom in the name of being polite!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
It isn't any skin off my nose to do that and while I would prefer not to have a buildup of smoke even if it is fruity smelling in my furniture and carpet I can find other ways around it if it were going to cause problems between me and my attached neighbor.
i smoke inside my apartment probably 9-12 hours a week and there is no residual smell from it. QLs can leave a touch of smell, and i noticed exoticas some times did as well, but exoticas was more just burned charcoal smell than any chemical smell. but i have never noticed any real smell in my place or in any friends places that smoked hookah

-matt
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Yipes! Talk about restricting your own personal freedom in the name of being polite!
Sometimes it becomes necessary to weigh the greater and lesser evils. I mean sometimes it is better to sacrifice some personal freedoms for the sake of maintaining a civil relationship. The beauty is you aren't sacrificing your freedoms just changing the way and time that you do it.

Like we usually try to have relations while the children aren't home or when they are asleep or something cause our room shares a wall with theirs and we would prefer to not have to keep it quiet. LOL.

Sometimes there is a fine line between exercising your rights and being completely vile.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

personally if it were going to cause a conflict (which it won't) I would rather smoke inside.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
i smoke inside my apartment probably 9-12 hours a week and there is no residual smell from it. QLs can leave a touch of smell, and i noticed exoticas some times did as well, but exoticas was more just burned charcoal smell than any chemical smell. but i have never noticed any real smell in my place or in any friends places that smoked hookah

-matt
Interesting. I had wondered about that because I know cigars leave a smell and cigarettes build up and can make a room smell disgusting pipes seem to leave a little less and I wondered since Hookahs are smoked a different way with different type of tobacco if it would make a difference. Though the thing is when you are in your room most of the time it wouldn't smell. The question is when visitors who don't smoke come into your room when you aren't smoking do they notice?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Interesting. I had wondered about that because I know cigars leave a smell and cigarettes build up and can make a room smell disgusting pipes seem to leave a little less and I wondered since Hookahs are smoked a different way with different type of tobacco if it would make a difference. Though the thing is when you are in your room most of the time it wouldn't smell. The question is when visitors who don't smoke come into your room when you aren't smoking do they notice?
no doesnt seem like it, even when i came back from a weekend at home i didnt notice any smell. usually my smell resets pretty fast (go to class for 3 hours, come back and then noticed that the trash smelled).

remember hookah when smoked with the modern tobacco and method the tobacco is steamed more so than burned. also if there is any residual smell from it, its more like an air freshener type smell. any smell normally dissipates in a few hours at most
-matt
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

That is Cool.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

listen, i was afraid to smoke inside because i did not want to set off the fire alarms in a goverment building....but not the smell.

Open a window it leaves, the beautiful part about hookah smoke is how pleasant it is.

I had an Egyptian teacher tell me once that smoking mint shisha is a substitution for brushing your teeth and that fruit shisha counts as a serving for a day.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Hmm I am not sure that smoking Mint Shisha is a replacement I would use for brushing my teeth but I can see the serving of fruit. Sure.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Let's move this thread along, fezzik were you able to talk to your neighbors yet?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Yeah it is fine. They don't smoke but they won't take offense or anything.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
I have pretty much found from this thread that it appears that the problems in Ethiopia may stem more from political and racial tension more than anything else
It is political but not racial.

Quote:
This is courtesy .... not restriction, the main difference is that with courtesy you do not have to do it .... But it is nice if you do so.

Quote:

-matt
+1 here. I smoke in my living AND bed rooms and never had the smell stay lingering for more than an hour after the session is done. If you cook/fry fish the smell would be 100 times worse than hookah and would linger around, on the other hand, hookah smell is very benign and smells like air freshener and never lingers long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
I had an Egyptian teacher tell me once that smoking mint shisha is a substitution for brushing your teeth and that fruit shisha counts as a serving for a day.
Typical Egyptian idiotic teacher who thinks telling jokes to pupils would be endearing. DISCLAIMER: I AM Egyptian and my mother used to be a teacher, so I am neither racist nor anti-teacher!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

This really has been a fun enlightening thread. Thanks.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Beccapoo
Hookah Newbie

Fezzik,
It's good to know that there are such considerate folks like you still around!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccapoo View Post
Fezzik,
It's good to know that there are such considerate folks like you still around!
+1 here
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
kingboyb
Banned

[quote=The Egyptian;90685]
This is courtesy .... not restriction, the main difference is that with courtesy you do not have to do it .... But it is nice if you do so.
[quote]

I guess I was just brought up different. I was always brought up with the understanding that I have as much freedom as my neighboor. Assuming that Fezzik and his neighboor live in the United States, Fezzik has just as much a right to smoke outside as his neighboor has to observe spiritual beliefs that abhor it. From a legal enforcibility standpoint, Fezzik's neighboor has no right to restrict right to smoke outside (even in most states with a duplex or tenancy in common code). This is what I was alluding to with my previous response. Perhaps its me going overboard, but I jsut find it disheartening when people are not able to do the things they enjoy when there is no ethical issue, but still strive to be politcally correct and not offend people.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

I guess I just feel like even if I have the legal right to do something doesn't mean I have to do it. Most people around here wouldn't care I don't think. A lot of my neighbors are jerks all the way around. A few of the kids were breaking into people's houses and their mom's response was well they will be back in school soon and it will stop. So I guess we have all kinds. I like my neighbor they have 4 kids in a 2 bedroom duplex that they can't sell and yet I never have any trouble or noise from them at all. We get along pretty well. So I just would prefer to not be openly insulting or offensive if I can help it. To me if it were to be a problem it wouldn't bother me to just keep it inside. Probably easier even sometimes. Since it isn't a problem then I suppose I will enjoy a few bowls this spring and summer out on the deck or on the steps.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook