Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What makes a good tobacco?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default What makes a good tobacco?

I read you guys reviews and I see all kinds of descriptions. What I am wondering is what is it that you guys look for in a Shisha Tobacco?

I found when I first started smoking pipes and cigars that the flavors a lot of people prize are the same ones I detest. Of course there is no substitute for trying them yourself and that is what I tell people but I want to get an idea of what you guys think is good. So that as I am reading your reviews and comments I can get an idea of whether something you don't like might be exactly what I am looking for or if I am pretty much on a similar page.

I understand that as with Pipes a lot of the experience is in the set up, the pipe, the materials, the light and all kinds of factors can make a decent tobacco taste bad but in general when you smoke a tobacco and think or say man this is nice. What does it generally taste like. I don't mean flavor so much as quality or character.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Default Re: What makes a good tobacco?

Ultimately, as much as the reviews help, we all like what we like because we've actually tried things and learned from them. Getting to know a brand and thier consistency and what thier "double apple" vs another brands "double apple" is what its been all about for me. Reviews are still a great resource, but I use them more as a guideline for me to try things before I commit to larged slugs to tobacco.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

as to what i look for

-good taste (not chemically or overly sweet/candy. but not bitter or nasty)
-consistency = in cut, flavor, heat tolerance, how long it lasts etc
-how long it lasts, i would rather have unused shisha in the bottom than burn out a bowl in one round of coals
-some what cut, more so how thin it is cut that as to how small. hookah hookah looks as thin almost as cig tobacco where as things like tangiers are full leaf. nakhla is pretty full leaf but its really folded up but it is large pieces when you pull it apart

for me tangiers, al waha, nakhla, al faker, and starbuzz are over all great smokes (flavors being the personal choice) and romman (little experience),havanah, and hookah hookah being less desirable smokes (with hookah hookah being the best in that category for me)

i think trying to quantify shisha in the way you would cigars or pipes is like trying to quantify cigs and chew in a similar way, (not that a lot of people thing its nasty but more so as they are totally different experances
-matt
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Basically it depends on what you want. Some people want candy type stuff while others want more realistic fruit tastes. I like stuff that is complicated and rich, realistic and simply don't like mixed drink/candy type stuff. In the end what sort of set up you have and how well you manage your heat basically determines how good a session you'll have no matter what flavours you like.

If you are interested in the more traditional stuff send me a PM and i'll see to it that you get some samples.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Excellent. That was what I was thinking just trying to get a feel for the character you go for. See with pipes and cigars I like mild or not so much mild as I don't like the spicy flavor that seems to be all the rage in cigars. Romeo Y Julietta makes me gag too much bite. I have found that Anise flavor is not real popular with me but most of you guys love it. I take that back for me I don't like it in the apple though I do in most other things. Mainly I have gotten a lot from the reviews but I can't wait to do some sampling. Mostly what I think I am looking for is and my imagery may not make much sense but I want rounder flavors from smoke. Nothing with a sharp edge to it. I find that sweet is nice but too sweet doesn't work. I am told that what we smoke at the place we go right now for Hookahs isn't using top quality stuff. He has the better stuff at home he said. We like it pretty well though. I find that my tastes for smoke are different than from food but probably more closely related to my tastes in drink. I will PM you Hajo because while I know my wife is probably going to be a fruity tobacco kind of girl and I like them pretty well. I am definitely curious as to what the more traditional stuff tastes like. I have never been a big fan of flavored pipe tobacco and even less of a fan of flavored cigars. This is a little different but I would at least like to know what the more classic stuff is like. I imagine me and my father-in-law would love it.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya i feel ya on the R&Js having that bloody bite, i found double marudos is more my thing i think
-matt
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Ashton Cabinet VSG. OH possibly the best smoke I have ever had. VSG usually has a bite but to me these are like an Ashton Cabinet just with more flavor. No bite just flavor. Oh my yes. But expensive and sometimes hard to find.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook