Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cooking/baking shisha vs. burning

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Cooking/baking shisha vs. burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
It might be an overly complex monster but say you put something like a cars lighter coil in an electric head that snapped onto the top of the bowl like a small wind cover. Two cords would run from it one to that fits over the hose end to replace the grommet the other to the ac adapter. The cord that hooks to the hose would contain a sensor that would read when you suck on the cord. That would tell the device to bring the heater closer to the foil or even touch it. With proper circuitry and what not you may not even need foil because the heater would be moved to certain points and would be a more even heat all the way around. Or a simplified version would just have a thermostat or a sensor that goes on the head grommet. It wouldn't be difficult, it would probably burn cleaner and more even but it wouldn't be the same experience. Probably would be a market for it though.
the concept is simple but there are issues with it no matter what: need of electricity, some else to trip over and knock the rig over, cost.

while you could probably do it you also have to be able to balance cost with durability and consistency. also you need to make it so the power $ plus the item cost justified it.

i dont doubt in any way it could be done i dont think you could produce something that was cheap enough to make it reasonable and also something that would last a long time (think 3-5000 hours of use)

if you can produce it more power to you but im not sure if it is really worth it.

-matt
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Personally I don't see the need but since it was brought up I compulsively search for an answer. The rig I was talking about probably wouldn't cost more than a box of coals and should last quite a while since it would be fairly simple electronics. I don't know how good it would be but I suppose it could have potential. Though I would hate to have cords hanging around all over the place and those coils cool a little more slowly than would be safe I would think though I imagine they have ways around that now. I imagine too it could be powered by batteries though I would think they would need to be rechargeable and would need to provide not only enough power but would have to last at least 2 hours on a charge I would say. Though I suppose if they were like rechargeable 9 volts you could swap them out or something.

Anyway don't know that it would be better just the question was posed and that was the best I could come up with.
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to III_3_TDS_3_III

haha thats fucking awesome ^^^
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Tada.....the Sheecool Torchmaster 5000....propane powered hookah!
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post

Uh freaking wow.
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

wouldnt you be inhaling propane ^^^^
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by III_3_TDS_3_III View Post
Is that bad? LOL
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

im no scientist i guess
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by III_3_TDS_3_III View Post
propane combusts pretty clean i also assume if it has the flame even shooting at the shisha as apposed to just warming a plate over it there would be a cat converter on it like on the propane space heaters

i think all of these are great ideas i just think none of them would work out as well as coals
-matt
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Sparky112
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post

LOL, that is truly the solution to all of my problems with coals. How much for the prototype? And how much fire insurance do I need?

No longer is it, "my idiot friend tripped on my hose, spilled my coals, and now the rug is burned and my landlord is pissed." Now it's, "my idiot friend tripped on my hose and now THE NEIGHBORHOOD IS BURNED FLAT!"
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

In regards to CO, I've blown directly on a CO detector throughtout an entire session just out of curiousity. It never went off. With coals fully lit, and never "burning" the shisha, only cooking it, I'm convinced there is no danger of CO poisoning.
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Sparky112
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
In regards to CO, I've blown directly on a CO detector throughtout an entire session just out of curiousity. It never went off. With coals fully lit, and never "burning" the shisha, only cooking it, I'm convinced there is no danger of CO poisoning.
Interesting experiment, but keep in mind that the problem with CO is that you're breathing it into your lungs, so there might be a reduced content if you're simply exhaling smoke onto the detector. Also, those kinds of detectors are meant to gauge the long-term, pervasive presence carbon monoxide. I'm not sure if it would be able to register from a few seconds of smoke passing over it, the way that a smoke detector probably would. Maybe ... who knows? Someone should try putting a detector in a closed garage with a running car and see how long it takes to go off.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky112 View Post
Interesting experiment, but keep in mind that the problem with CO is that you're breathing it into your lungs, so there might be a reduced content if you're simply exhaling smoke onto the detector. Also, those kinds of detectors are meant to gauge the long-term, pervasive presence carbon monoxide. I'm not sure if it would be able to register from a few seconds of smoke passing over it, the way that a smoke detector probably would. Maybe ... who knows? Someone should try putting a detector in a closed garage with a running car and see how long it takes to go off.
or get a big bag put the detector in there and blow it full of smoke.

also i dont think your body would take a huge amount of CO in (remember your breath in about 18% oxygen and exhale about 17-17.5% oxygen)

-matt
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM
mckheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky112 View Post
Heh, just because something doesn't kill you instantaneously doesn't mean it's safe, especially long-term. I figure that any amount of a toxic substance is too much, if it can be avoided. But, unfortunately, it sounds like if a product to avoid making excessive amounts of carbon monoxide exists it is not readily accessible. Drat.
don't magnify the problem , im pretty sure CO comes out of your barbeque .. so how will you turn around the meat if you can't inhale the smoke ?

,, its like MCdonalds , its ok , but if you eat it alot you get fat and die ...
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sparky112
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckheu View Post
don't magnify the problem , im pretty sure CO comes out of your barbeque .. so how will you turn around the meat if you can't inhale the smoke ?

,, its like MCdonalds , its ok , but if you eat it alot you get fat and die ...
I see what you're saying, but the point of grilling is to cook the meat, not inhale the smoke. A whiff here or there isn't any worse than walking down the street and catching a whiff of exhaust smoke. However, the point of shisha is to inhale the smoke, and there's a fair amount of it in every smoking session.

Also, with grilling you have other options than using charcoal (gas grill, George Foreman, broiler in oven, etc.) so if you were really worried about it, you could take a different approach. With shisha, though, it seems as though there isn't any other option except for coals ... which was why I asked, because I wanted to see if there were any other choices.

Your point is well taken, though. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting CO poisoning from a hookah. I was just looking to see if there was some way to remove the danger entirely.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

you guys are starting to sound like smoking advocates now
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ok this whole thing can be summed up in a single statement.

Smoking isnt good for you.

end of story, done.
-matt
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM
SuperHookahBlue
Hookah Newbie

It would be amazing if you could put like an electric coal burner into the bowl that way it would heat the bowl which would heat the shisha
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
SK Exotics
Hookah Newbie

I thought that:

While there is 0 tar in shisha, nicotine and tar are delivered from burning. So if there is no burning how does is it delivered?

Or does nicotine vaporize?

sorry im no chemist
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook