Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How to Prepare Traditional Molasses

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 29th, 2008, 10:40 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Default How to Prepare Traditional Molasses

After reading the "Desi Murli is the best" thread I got really excited about maybe getting my hand on some. I checked out the hookah1 site and saw all the tasty flavors they carry (I am looking forward to almond!) and then I realized this stuff comes dry and I have never prepared traditional molasses.

So...Can anyone share there thoughts about how to prepare this stuff if I do end up getting some. How do you do it? I'm sure everyone does it differently to match there own preferences but what is a general guide line for the proportions of glycerine and honey. Do you use one or the other? Do you use both? And are there other things you can add to change the way it smokes?
Also what would adding more glycerin do? or adding more honey?

I know its a lot but I'm sure there are a few other newbs like me that would appreciate the insight. I feel like preparing your own would really add to the quality of my smoke and you can appreciate it more that way. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: How to Prepare Traditional Molasses

Check out the article I have here on HP called " how to smoke Desi Merli" and remember, it's not just preparation but smoking technique as well.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Check out the article I have here on HP called " how to smoke Desi Merli" and remember, it's not just preparation but smoking technique as well.
Thanks for the help! I like things when you can appreciate the fine details that go into them like cigars, or good beer, etc. I've scoured the internet for articles or videos about how shisha tobaccos and molasses are prepared and there really is nothing. I interested in the enitre process actually from growth to bowl...
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I agree that it would make this hobby of ours more enjoyable and interesting if someone could put together a detailed account of how the various brands make their products but that is not going to happen I guess.

Anyway, I did take a tour of a tour the very small Shooting Star" "factory" and I learned a lot although they wouldn't describe some things I wanted to know due partly to language but mostly, I think, to wanting to protect trade secrets. I'll write about the tour when I get the time. Also, Several months ago I wrote a visit to a very neat farm/factory in Turkey that makes amazing (and extremely expensive) moassel so you may want to troll around in the archives for that thread.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
kingboyb
Banned

What is the name of this moassel? I have contacts in Turkey and may want to get ahold of some.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Well Hajo I guess that is what this site is for. So we can help accumulate as much information from all places and share it with each other. I will certainly keep the site posted as I find out more about the whole tobacco, moassel making process and please everyone do the same. There isn't much out there but if we can all come up with something perhaps we can put together a comprehensive guide for all to share. It will add great depth and appreciation to the hobby we are all passionate about.

PS Hajo, I read your article on hookah-life, thanks. It was exactly what I was hoping to get out of this thread. Can't wait to get some Desi!
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Oh and Kingboyb, this is unrelated to the thread but, Bioshock was one hell of an interesting game!
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
kingboyb
Banned

The funny thing is, that I never played the game. I downloaded the demo for PS3 where Andrew Ryans speech came on. I plan on reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand very soon.
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

The DM I received is pretty moist, all I do is add about 1/8 teaspoon of glycerin and it works awesome.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Great ideas RushN24. I'll try to write up the Shooting Star post this weekend. One thing that I like about the cigar magazines are the articles all about some plantation or factory where they show the various steps in the production and talk to the guy that started the company. We really don't have anything like that which is something i'd like to see change.

kingboyb, the shockingly expensive moassel I tried out is called Fuzūlī. You can read about it here: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...ight=expensive. The stuff is very expensive, very rare and amazing and I doubt I'll ever get more of the stuff.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Hajo Im right there with you. And in fact thats exactly where I got the idea from was cigars. They always document these crazy trips into the plantations in Nicaragua and the DR and they enumerate the steps from seed to smoke. When you realize the amount of skill and effort that goes into some brands you start to understand the $5 $10 and even $20 a stick, and you don't feel as bad giving it up when you know whats behind the quality. I'd like to develope the same appreciation for hookah. And I'm sure a lot of others would love to know how the fine tobacco their smoking got to there bowl!

So husky you don't add any molasses or honey, just straight glycerine? Does anybody else do that?
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I love reading those stories and seeing all the pictures of the Canary Islands or Honduras and such and reading about how the leaves are fermented.

Small, family owned maossel/jurak makers use processes every bit as involved as making top notch cigars. Women strip out the stems from the tobacco leaves after having them hang and cure followed by cutting and mixing the various verieties of leaves with molasses which is baked at low tempratures for short periods of time. After the "cooking" the tobacco/molasses mix is placed in drums with various spice/herb extracts made locally and aged before being packed. The smaller family style brands don't use glycerine or any sort of fruit flavours.

As to preparing tradtional moasels and juraks I have a couple of articles about how to so that here and at hookah-life.com Check them out if you want to know how much of what to add.
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

How very informative. Certainly adds to the depth and breath of what I have found here at HP. Thank you!
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Ok so after reading the new glass funnel thread I stumbled upon these two products.

http://www.shisha-laden.de/products/show/256

http://www.shisha-laden.de/products/show/52

Now I don't understand any German but has anybody any experience with these or anything similar. It seems like a premixed honey/molasses for use with drier stuff maybe like Desi Murli?
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

That stuff is designed for the German market where tobacco products by law have to have a moisture content too low for normal moassel. You can you it to moisten stuff like DM but it's more expensive then non-mixed glycerin and honey/molasses.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook