Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

A few hookah questions i've been dying to ask.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Default A few hookah questions i've been dying to ask.

Since i've been a part of the whole online hookah community for a while now, and a few questions have arose that i haven't seen asked specifically before.

What exactly IS the difference beween, say, a KM and a cheap hookah you get at a flea market? I understand the better quality hookahs purge better, and i understand that some crappy hookahs are made with chrome plating which will just fall off and corrode over time, but this is not the case for all hookahs.

And, how does everyone righteously assume any hookah that is not a KM or MZ etc. is automatically a chinese piece of crap?

I say this because one of my hookahs, usually the one i travel with is a small 15" i got from a boardwalk for about 40 bucks. I've never once had the necessity to purge it, but it seems the purge valve works just fine since i just tried it out now. It smokes fine when i'm out smoking it, it was my first hookah about 8 months ago and the only problem i've had with it is the downstem rusting because i scrubbed it way too hard with brillo and wore down the metal. I replaced that though no problem.

And can someone please explain to me how a longer stem = richer, thicker smoke? I just see hookahs as very, very simple pipes and the physics of all these assumptions just don not make sense in my head. Basically i'm just looking for some sort of legitimate answer to these questions, it's been bugging me. I've smoked hookahs at bars, and friends hookahs (one was a KM, and another was this beast 4 hose hookah that stood about 4 feet tall) and i truly did not notice a difference in smoke quality. They were a lot more fun to smoke out of, and made some beastly noises.
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:51 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Re: A few hookah questions i've been dying to ask.

I don't think that anybody here has ever said that any non-KM or MZ is garbage. And there are plenty of other hookahs made in places other than china. There are syrians and there are plenty of other brands of hookahs made in egypt. Its just that the people feel that the KMs and MZs are the best, and so they pontificate about it... jst like any other fan boy haha.

and i think the difference in the height of the pipe is that taller pipes allow the smoke to cool more, but i could be wrong.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

there are so many more egyptian hookah brands than km and mz. el ashrey, shishaking both make amazing pipes as well, as well as so many more.

the answer, theres very little difference. the thick gauge that km has can be seen on many "generic" egyptians. its all hype. km uses cheap stainless steel on many of the cheaper hookah (exotica, pear, ssr, etc). however some of the KM stylings are really awesome and use copper/brass as well.

all mzs are made of cheap 108 stainless steel. almost all "generic" egyptians use the same metal.
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

About the only thing I can tell the stem does is possibly help cool the smoke before it gets to the water. Though I can't imagine that really does as much for the smoke that gets to the hose as it does for just making the water feel better. LOL. The really small ones though would have smaller bases. Physicswise I would almost say you would get thicker richer smoke from a shorter hose just because less pressure is required to get the smoke from the bowl to the base. The biggest thing as far as quality of a hookah that I can tell has scientific basis is the base needs to have a large smoke resevoir. The larger the smoke resevoir the more smoke builds up and the better your draws will be. The more surface area the water has the better for cooling. So the smaller pipes usually haveing smaller bases would make a difference Though with the right grommets I imagine you could make it work in some of the larger bases as long as the stem goes far enough down. Also the wider the hose the less pressure is required to draw the smoke from the stem. Other than that the longer stems are mainly for aesthetics best I can tell.
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

This more from a physical science background rather than vast experience with a Hookah.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Other than that the longer stems are mainly for aesthetics best I can tell.
Thats not what she said...
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
Thats not what she said...

Anything over 4 is adequate. Girth is greater than length in both scenarios.
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

i think its all preference.. what i think is crap might work better for someone and what i think is the ISH! might be crap to another person.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Evil smokers of the hookah from Egypt have been practicing subversion over the years to try to convince the world that they make better hookahs, honestly, they make a decent pipe, better than any chinese i've smoked, but still, the elegance is always ruined by something. What the Egyptian style and smokeability does is mimic that of the obviously superior Syrian hookahs. One can merely go out in the streets of damascus, and purchase a 20" hookah part for part and itll be his own custom look while still reserving the traditionally elegant qualities of a Syrian hookah. One would be surprised by the quality of these generic pipes, as much as one would be surprised at the quality of a generic egpytian pipe. Its not the brand at all sir, its for most the nationality (obviously syria beats the egyptians on this one) closely followed by the quality of design.

I wrote that mostly to continue where I think I left off w/ the Egyptian, but nation hating aside, Quality of the stem is the biggest thing, if its wide, good at dissapating heat near the top, and made of something that wont kill you, then by all means get it if its visually appealing. You don't need a Nour, a KM, or a MZ. My favorite hookah is a generic syrian, puts my KM and Nour to shame sir. To SHAME!

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Well... i kind of knew the answers to some of my questions, i'm just glad to know i'm not crazy and others can agree. I definitely think a lot of people should see you guys' answers because these things seem to be a huge, huge misconception with a lot of hookah smokers, so thank you for your answers
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook