Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Beginners guide?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Phil
Hookah Newbie

Default Beginners guide?

Hi lads!

I have been looking around in this forum for a beginners guide to answer my questions but i havnt really found anything... if there is such thing would you be so kind as to direct me towards it? Thanks!

If it doesnt exist (witch i sincerely doubt) here are my first questions:

1) How much tobacco do you put?
2) How much water?
3) Foil: Shiny side in or out?
4) Coal: best one to use and how to use quick lighting coal?
5) Whats safer? Hooka or Smelly Cigarettes?
6) What are the best brands to look out for? (For tobacco and coal...)
7) The holes in the foil: How big? How many?

I know a lot of answers are out there but one person says black while the other says white so i have to admit that i am a little lost...

A reply to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default Re: Beginners guide?

I am a beginner too but here is what I have learned from this forum and other research.

1. Depends on the size of the bowl and the method of choice for "packing". Typically a standard Egyptian clay head holds 20-30g Smaller ones hold less bigger ones hold more and funnels hold more. 25g sounds about right and makes sense being about half a 50g pack for a standard bowl.

2. Fill the base until it covers the bottom of the stem by about half an inch to an inch. That will make sure the water still covers it even when the water is going nuts because of bubbles.

3. Doesn't really matter but I am sure everyone has an opinion.

4. The best coals are usually natural coals it seems Coco Nara and ******* Hookah are the two most popular. Quick lights are ok but typically are considered to have slightly lesser quality. Belgians, 3 kings, Akhla, ******* Hookah, and others are all good it appears you should stay away from Rollands. Quicklights light easy because they have a flammable accellerant on the outside that burns quickly and burns completely away leaving just coal and ash. Usually you light them and get them started and let them sit until they ash over. Then set them on the bowl and take a couple of puffs and your good.

5. No smoking is safe not even herbal shisha tobacco but just about anything is safer than cigarretes. Not because any of it is safe but because cigarrettes typically use leftover tobacco after the good stuff was harvested for other things and cut for cigars and pipes then mixed with some good stuff and some more leftovers, then they are sprayed with chemicals like preservatives (which is why cigarettes don't have to be stored like cigars) and other flavor and buzz enhancers. Cigarettes aren't made for quality they are made to feed addictions. Pipes and Cigars don't have the additives but they have all the same natural tars and nicotine as well as some additives like spices and what not. Hookahs filter out the tar but the nicotine and smoke still come through. Part of the damage from smoking is from chemicals and part is from the smoke taking the place of oxygen and some is from heat. So no smoking is safe just some are worse than others. There is no better when it comes to smoking.

6. Brands are a matter of personal preference. The best way to decide that is to try, try, and try some more. You will find some you hate and some you love. You may find that one brand does certain flavors right and certain flavors wrong for you while another may fill those holes. You may find that what I like you won't and what you like I won't. However, there are some safer starting points. 3 kings, ******* Hookah, Belgian, and Akhla are good starter quicklight coals. I think it is better to start with those and eventually get a separate burner and set up for the natural coals which require a little more time and a little more set up but are supposed to be so worth it. Al Nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, Hookah-Hookah, and Saalaam (the only herbal worth trying according to many here which isn't to say they recommend it just that if you have to try some herbal this is the one to get.) are some good starter tobaccos. That doesn't mean be afraid of trying others but that those are fairly easy to find and should provide a nice range of flavors and are typically regarded as good quality. There are many good ones and you will find flavors of these that you won't like so find out what is close to you and smoke away. Also if you are buying accessories online find out what they carry and get a few 50g packs with your order. You won't regret it.

7. There are as many theories of this as there are people on the boards. The main thing is you want to have holes where your coals are so that air passes over them to keep them going good and strong. Also you want air flow to your tobacco as well. There are many different patterns that work well for different people and different types of bowls. A good starting point is to make 2 or 3 rings of toothpick size holes or smaller (some use hat pins or even straight pins) beginning around the edge of the bowl and coming in. basically you want either a ring or several pads in the places you normally move your coals to during smoking.
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:43 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
I am a beginner too but here is what I have learned from this forum and other research.

1. Depends on the size of the bowl and the method of choice for "packing". Typically a standard Egyptian clay head holds 20-30g Smaller ones hold less bigger ones hold more and funnels hold more. 25g sounds about right and makes sense being about half a 50g pack for a standard bowl.

2. Fill the base until it covers the bottom of the stem by about half an inch to an inch. That will make sure the water still covers it even when the water is going nuts because of bubbles.

3. Doesn't really matter but I am sure everyone has an opinion.

4. The best coals are usually natural coals it seems Coco Nara and ******* Hookah are the two most popular. Quick lights are ok but typically are considered to have slightly lesser quality. Belgians, 3 kings, Akhla, ******* Hookah, and others are all good it appears you should stay away from Rollands. Quicklights light easy because they have a flammable accellerant on the outside that burns quickly and burns completely away leaving just coal and ash. Usually you light them and get them started and let them sit until they ash over. Then set them on the bowl and take a couple of puffs and your good.

5. No smoking is safe not even herbal shisha tobacco but just about anything is safer than cigarretes. Not because any of it is safe but because cigarrettes typically use leftover tobacco after the good stuff was harvested for other things and cut for cigars and pipes then mixed with some good stuff and some more leftovers, then they are sprayed with chemicals like preservatives (which is why cigarettes don't have to be stored like cigars) and other flavor and buzz enhancers. Cigarettes aren't made for quality they are made to feed addictions. Pipes and Cigars don't have the additives but they have all the same natural tars and nicotine as well as some additives like spices and what not. Hookahs filter out the tar but the nicotine and smoke still come through. Part of the damage from smoking is from chemicals and part is from the smoke taking the place of oxygen and some is from heat. So no smoking is safe just some are worse than others. There is no better when it comes to smoking.

6. Brands are a matter of personal preference. The best way to decide that is to try, try, and try some more. You will find some you hate and some you love. You may find that one brand does certain flavors right and certain flavors wrong for you while another may fill those holes. You may find that what I like you won't and what you like I won't. However, there are some safer starting points. 3 kings, ******* Hookah, Belgian, and Akhla are good starter quicklight coals. I think it is better to start with those and eventually get a separate burner and set up for the natural coals which require a little more time and a little more set up but are supposed to be so worth it. Al Nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, Hookah-Hookah, and Saalaam (the only herbal worth trying according to many here which isn't to say they recommend it just that if you have to try some herbal this is the one to get.) are some good starter tobaccos. That doesn't mean be afraid of trying others but that those are fairly easy to find and should provide a nice range of flavors and are typically regarded as good quality. There are many good ones and you will find flavors of these that you won't like so find out what is close to you and smoke away. Also if you are buying accessories online find out what they carry and get a few 50g packs with your order. You won't regret it.

7. There are as many theories of this as there are people on the boards. The main thing is you want to have holes where your coals are so that air passes over them to keep them going good and strong. Also you want air flow to your tobacco as well. There are many different patterns that work well for different people and different types of bowls. A good starting point is to make 2 or 3 rings of toothpick size holes or smaller (some use hat pins or even straight pins) beginning around the edge of the bowl and coming in. basically you want either a ring or several pads in the places you normally move your coals to during smoking.
Yeah, what he said.
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
thetallest
Hookah Newbie

The bowl setup can be the trickiest part of hookah smoking. You want to pack the tobacco in fairly light so that the air can flow through it. I have always put the foil on shiny side down because that is how I have heard from everyone to do it. I am not sure why. Hole pattern is really important but the best thing I have found is that you just need to experiment a little to get it just right. Everyone seems to do it differently. Too many holes is not good, but too few will restrict airflow. I always try to make the holes about the same size too. If they are too small, the pull will be harder but if they are too big, it is easier for the ash to fall in which makes for a rather unpleasant smoke.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

Sorry Fezz. Your explanations, though thorough, are kind of extra long.

1) How much tobacco do you put?
In a standard egyptian, it takes about 15g in my experience. BUt just fill the bowl with very lightly sprinkled in shisha until there is just 1/8 of an inch between the shisha and where your foil will be.

2) How much water?
As Fezzik said, until the bottom of the stem is sumbmerged by about an inch of water (or whatever you have in your base).

3) Foil: Shiny side in or out?
I honestly didn't know there was a shiny side... so i am going to go with it not mattering.

4) Coal: best one to use and how to use quick lighting coal?
Coconaras, ******* hookah naturals and exoticas i think are the people'e choice here at HP. As for lighting a quick light, hold it in your tongues, hold a lighter too it til you see it snap-crackle-pop, blow on it a couple times and set it in your tray until its completely ashed over, then its ready.

5) Whats safer? Hooka or Smelly Cigarettes?
Hookah is safer, but that doesn;t mean its good for you.

6) What are the best brands to look out for? (For tobacco and coal...)
Personally, i think Starbuzz tobacco is the best, but it does come down to opinion. I think Starbuzz has the most profound flavors, big smoke and it smokes forever. As for coals... i listed them earlier.

7) The holes in the foil: How big? How many?
This is mostly a trial and error thing. A good starting point is two circles of holes, one right along the edge of the bowl, spaced about 1/16-1/8 of an inch apart. Then a second circle about 1/8-1/4 inch towards the center fromt he first circle with the same spacing between each hole.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Phil
Hookah Newbie

Excellent! Thanks a lot for your help you guys, i didnt expect it so soon. I have a last question tho...i live in Belgium and finding different products seems to be pretty hard...do you know of any online store where i could import stuff? My main problem would be that i can only pay via Paypal tho...
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
Sorry Fezz. Your explanations, though thorough, are kind of extra long.
Memory dump from everything I have learned in the last month or so on here.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

Hookah is safer, but its all in moderation people! moderation is the key word.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Check the video section. I think almost all these questions are addressed in one form or another.
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Phil
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Memory dump from everything I have learned in the last month or so on here.
Well it was a little long but definetly worth reading anyhow
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

umm basically all explained umm also if you go into the video section Sambooka has some nice set up beginner guides and also some cleaning tips.. goo check those out also.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
umm basically all explained umm also if you go into the video section Sambooka has some nice set up beginner guides and also some cleaning tips.. goo check those out also.
YEs I loved the videos. I saw them on myspace. I really need to branch out in this place. I have started to find some other sections but I really need to dig into the videos cause I have learned a ton from those.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
reality-
Banned

Fezzik.. Great answer anyway even i very long.. I must just say something about answer number 1 about how much shisha..
U defenitly do not need that much shisha as a half 50gram pack for a bowl.. That is too much ! The mroe shisha does not mean more taste or smoke, in most cases I would say its even the opposite.. SHisha burns easier if its too much going to close to the foil and restricting airflow..
If you just sprinkle it down it will take more space since u dont push the shisha down, jsut put in in the bowl sprinkled and you will see that not that much shisha is really needed to get a perfect bowl..
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
Fezzik.. Great answer anyway even i very long.. I must just say something about answer number 1 about how much shisha..
U defenitly do not need that much shisha as a half 50gram pack for a bowl.. That is too much ! The mroe shisha does not mean more taste or smoke, in most cases I would say its even the opposite.. SHisha burns easier if its too much going to close to the foil and restricting airflow..
If you just sprinkle it down it will take more space since u dont push the shisha down, jsut put in in the bowl sprinkled and you will see that not that much shisha is really needed to get a perfect bowl..
Ah yeah about that. there were different sizes called standard apparently. So I kind of got one in my head which is a big mamajamma. Not sure if mine is like that or not. Though I have shown 15 gram standards to my wife and she says mine is about that wide maybe a little wider and definitely deeper and taller. SO I guess it all depends. I suppose the best thing is to just answer with the sprinkly lightly to allow air flow up to about an eighth of an inch or so from the lip of the bowl so that the foil doesn't touch the tobacco. It can be anywhere from 10 to 30g depending on the size and depth of the bowl.

Although there is one thing I am wondering about that. If you have a larger bowl than you need can you put less in it? Like put a half a bowl in or something or do you need a smaller bowl to smoke less? Like if mine really is a 20gram like I read somewhere can I put 15grams in it to smoke it or do I have to put that much in it.

If it is more like 15 grams that is awsome that means I will get 3 bowls out of a 50gram package and we are gathering 50gram packages like they were money or something.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post

OH and I get long winded about stuff I really get into. You should see my photography posts.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:23 PM
reality-
Banned

hehe.. Its hard to say.. i once had a reaaaally deep bowl and it was my favourite bowl.. it hell too much tobacco.. and I had sometimes very large like over a half inch of distance between foil and tobacco.. and it worked good.! but it all depends on coal and what type of shisha and so on..
U must try what works best.. its hard to say. but yes u could defenitly use less shisha in larger bowls!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook