Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Acclimation time

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Acclimation time

Do you guys and gals acclimate your Shisha when you bring it home from the store or get a shipment in. From what I understand Shisha is sensitive to humidity shock. I personally open it up and let it air out for 1-2 hours then seal it back up to keep it moist.

Billy
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM
ioannisds
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Acclimation time

You know, as much as I have read about the pros of acclimation, I have never, ever, ever noticed a significant difference in smoke quality from tobacco that has been acclimated and tobacco that hasn't. I have tried acclimating for hours, overnight, a day, and not once did I think "wow, I got an awesome smoke from doing that". Even with Tangiers, it seemed basically the same to me both before and after being acclimated.

I also think once you start dissecting the hobby in various ways (acclimation, foil hole patterns, diffusers, exact placement of coals, etc, etc, etc) a lot of the pleasure is lost. It is very easy to get caught up in getting your machine to smoke perfect, and when it doesn't, frustration sets in because of the multitude of variables involved with the above techniques. When I smoked, I would just load up a bowl, punch a bunch of holes in the foil, slap on a 40mm Three Kings, and began to puff away. I'd also be willing to bet if you headed out to the Middle East, where the real hookah pros reside, and started talking about acclimation, foil hole patterns, and what not, they would probably think you were completely insane.

So no, I don't/didn't acclimate.
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I don't accilmate for hours - when i get new shisha, i open it and "fluff" it up, picking out stems and stuff, then seal it away.

Only Tangiers have I accilmated, which did help.

As many of you know, I live in a humid area. Every great once and awhile, I will notice a "known" good smoke goes wrong or funny - first thing that always pops in my head "What's the weather doing?". In areas of great humidity (or great lack of) it may slightly alter the shisha on a day to day basis, but as to the intital accilmation - I don't bother. My shisha always gets alittle dry no matter what I put it in anyways, so I don't need to "help" it along any more than necessary.
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

It depends on the brand. I will always acclimate Al Waha and Layalina because they have plenty of juice. I don't acclimate Hookah Hookah or Hookah Freak. They have enough juice but it's more watery and the small cut dries out too quickly. They way i acclimate is after I finish a session, I weigh out what I'll use for the next session and put it on a saucer. Usually my shisha gets 5-8 hours of acclimation. I smoke after breakfast and after dinner so this works out well for me.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds
You know, as much as I have read about the pros of acclimation, I have never, ever, ever noticed a significant difference in smoke quality from tobacco that has been acclimated and tobacco that hasn't. I have tried acclimating for hours, overnight, a day, and not once did I think "wow, I got an awesome smoke from doing that".
I COMPLETELY agree with you...I've never acclimated my Starbuzz shisha, I just take it out of its sealed bag, transfer it into the tin can, and seal it up in a zip lock bag...I've tried acclimating beore and unlike what everyone usually claims, I can't tell the difference...in my opinion it's not worth the hassle...
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

This really all depends. Acclimation is based on your humidity, your environment of where you smoke, and your shish.

I smoke outside, but I store my stuff inside, so I must acclimate every time I smoke. Yes...I have tried not acclimating, and I get no taste. Remember, I live in Houston/Friendswood. Humidity is constantly 70% or more and temps from march through october are well over 90 degrees. I usually let it sit outside on the patio table for about 3-4 hours. With the rise of global warming and the lack of anyone doing anything about it, soon all of you will have to acclimate

Not sure how smoking inside works. I mean I smoke inside my shops all the time, and I tend to acclimate it there too. Not for 3-4 hours, but for about 45 minutes. There isnt a huge change, but its enough to make me do it all the time lol..
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Louis
Hookah Newbie

It made a difference for me using Al Fakher Mango.

I noticed when i bought it out of the store and went right home to smoke it and oddly enough it tasted pretty bad and it was pretty harsh which was odd because i know Al Fakher is a really good brand and usually has really good taste and thickness to their smoke.

So yesterday i tried it out acclimated it for about an hour before i smoked it and definitely made the difference. and i smoke inside.
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I never understood the benefits of acclimation...... especially when it is coupled with the term "humidity shock"

Shisha contains glycerin, which is a humectant, meaning that it attracts moisture to it. The longer you set it out.... the more moisture it will pull to it (in theory). From what the "experts" say that endorse acclimation, the less h20 the better.....

Personally.... I think acclimation was introduced as a distraction.
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster
Personally.... I think acclimation was introduced as a distraction.
I couldn't agree with you more ... but what do we know!?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
NonstickRon
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NonstickRon

I smoked strawberry Romman recently for the first time, inside with the A/C on 74, with one foil and it was almost too much for me to take. Cough cough cough, tickle wheeze. Buzz harder than I liked. I had let it only aclimate for like an hour.

Second time, last night I tried againk. Double foil and smoked outside in the hot humid central florida summer heat. Was WAAAY better. Still a tickly every now and then, but only when I let it get too hot. I'm thinking if you live in a humid climate and smoke outside, you wont notice the benefits of acclimating as much as someone else might.

From what I've read, mostly by Highlord Tangiers (I'm not worthy ), its only the unwashed/high nicotine shishas that need to be acclimated. Nicotine is what causes the humidity shock.
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

Really just depends on my first smoke...

if i just get some tobacco i usually let it sit out for about 20 - 30 mins and after that if its horrible when i smoke ill let it either acclimate some more or fix the problem accordingly...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook