Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

2 questions from my wife and I

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default 2 questions from my wife and I

Ok so my wife asked me a question that I had limited answers to. She asked me the people on this forum what makes a good pipe. In other words, she wants to know when you look at a pipe what makes you think it is a pretty or good looking pipe. If you see one online and can't check the measurements on the stem or any of that what catches your attention?

Mine is this. Many of you have different pipes. Pipes of about all sizes shapes and builds. Do you have different pipes for different purposes or do you just kind of rotate?

For hers I think she was trying to figure out how well she chose for me. For mine I am thinking in the future I may want to get a smaller one for portability though I kind of wonder if I would like a small pipe. Also if you tend to have one for the house and one for on the go or something like that.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Default Re: 2 questions from my wife and I

As to her question I really can't put my finger on Hookah Aesthetics. To me there is very little difference between hookahs. I see some with jewels and some with different accents but for the most part the stems look mostly like stems and everything else is interchangeable. I told her about the wider stems and hoses overall build quality and materials but can't tell much about aesthetics.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Anything that isn't labeled Nour or KM basically for me, but I can tell just from a glance whether or not something is or isn't high quality. Basically, for Egyptian rigs, hmm... i can;t really think of a way to say what I mean. It's like, I can just tell from looking at a rig how it will smoke, how heavily built and sturdy it will be, and I also look for rigs that don't have overly eccentric colors in their color scheme. If i can't tell, I also ask if it is a Common Chamber or Traditional, most fo the time I have to explain what this means.

Actually, I would not buy a hookah ever again that has a plated Common chamber. Mya Commons are fine, but the plated chambers are just not good.

Ohh and anything that has too much fake ornate stylings, that's when you know it's not good.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

See I had no idea what the difference was but a quick google search took me to a post you made about four different types of heart. I can't imagine anything other than a traditional. I don't see why a common chamber would even bother putting water in the base. Maybe I am not understanding it properly.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Just an opinion here.
1) A good pipe depends on the materials used. I prefere stainless and or brass in the stem construction. I also look at the glasswork. I appreciate handblown/crafted glasswork. That's what I look for when looking to buy. Materials, glasswork then stemwork. If any of them are lacking I keep browsing.

2) I have five hookahs. Currently I only rotate out two. I have my Sahara Genie I use almost every single day since it is super easy to set up. I switch out to my 32"KM chiller when I use some of the more intense tobaccos, ie Ayam and Tangiers just to give the smoke a little more cooldown time. Or when I want to just have a nice cold smoke in the summer.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
Just an opinion here.
1) A good pipe depends on the materials used. I prefere stainless and or brass in the stem construction. I also look at the glasswork. I appreciate handblown/crafted glasswork. That's what I look for when looking to buy. Materials, glasswork then stemwork. If any of them are lacking I keep browsing.

2) I have five hookahs. Currently I only rotate out two. I have my Sahara Genie I use almost every single day since it is super easy to set up. I switch out to my 32"KM chiller when I use some of the more intense tobaccos, ie Ayam and Tangiers just to give the smoke a little more cooldown time. Or when I want to just have a nice cold smoke in the summer.
I very much agree, quality of metal/glass is the most important factor. Eventually, you will be able to tell just by looking at a rig how well it was made, and if it was made by hand or by machine.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

the metal quality, i prefer a heavier stem.

the design quality, if it tries too hard to have a traditional look, you just know. If it has a lot of paint, its not my bag, I prefer more design in the metal work. Like a good brass nour.

the chamber can be an issue for some, but as long as it does purge, im good, I'm not one who purges every 5 seconds.

the ashtray, if it doesnt sit well or even, I am very very disappointed.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

It may be the way we do things is wrong but I find I need to purge every time I change the coals out. It took me a while to figure that out but when My in-laws came with us my wife kept saying that the second coal is always a little harsher. From my reading here I got to thinking maybe the new coals were too much heat too quickly so I moved it and purged it and it went back to smooth. Perhaps as my mother-in-law suggested we should light our second coal when it looks like the other is getting too low and let it sit for a minute or so before we add it but really with one 33mm coal we have no problems on a small Egyptian. Purging may not end up being a big deal but right now purging is something I need. You know until I get a little better at all this stuff.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

What are the tell tale signs of machining? What should I look for in the stem work?
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

if all the marks are uniform, then it is factory made i guess the beauty is in the imperfection here.

as for purging when you add coals, that happens, but you shouldnt be changing coals every 5 minutes.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

The Tell-Tale signs:

Plated Common Chamber - The common chamber has a plate with 2,4, or 6 holes in it covering the open heart.

Over-exaggerated plastic accents - very common in Chinese hookahs

Metal has a Dull Shine - like opposite of the shiny-side on aluminum foil

Weight - Crap hookahs are ridiculously light.

Now, some Plated Chambers smoke very well, it's just the pull and cleaning that can be potential problems for a smoker. A Smoker may not like the tighter pull of the plated chamber. Also, it's literally impossible to clean out the entire inside of the heart, no matter how many pipe cleaners you can possibly jam in there.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

No about every 45 minutes with 3 kings 33mm.

So the beauty is in the imperfections? Mine claims to be hand made I believe stainless. When I get it I should look for excessive uniformity.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
The Tell-Tale signs:

Plated Common Chamber - The common chamber has a plate with 2,4, or 6 holes in it covering the open heart.

Over-exaggerated plastic accents - very common in Chinese hookahs

Metal has a Dull Shine - like opposite of the shiny-side on aluminum foil

Weight - Crap hookahs are ridiculously light.

Now, some Plated Chambers smoke very well, it's just the pull and cleaning that can be potential problems for a smoker. A Smoker may not like the tighter pull of the plated chamber. Also, it's literally impossible to clean out the entire inside of the heart, no matter how many pipe cleaners you can possibly jam in there.
Simplicity of design. No holes over the heart. Heavy all good. What a shiny metal sheen instead of dull?
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Look at the chamber if you wanna see if it's hand-made. If it has 2 holes, one to the purge, one to the hose port, then it's hand-made.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Sahara Smoke Company
**~ Supporting Vendor ~**

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahara Smoke Company

Mostly for handmade stems you're looking for welding marks.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Simplicity of design. No holes over the heart. Heavy all good. What a shiny metal sheen instead of dull?
Yeah you could say more shiny. Some MZ models are duller though, but you will be able to feel the sturdiness of the metal when you life the stem, maybe give it a good knocking and that will generally give away how thick it is.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Smoke Company View Post
Mostly for handmade stems you're looking for welding marks.
This is true! Yet, I have owned an Ebay hookah that was machined, but had a hose port welded on. The guy may have done it himself, but it was all one uniform color for the weld.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

This all makes me wonder about the Julam cause its supposed to be a super light stem and looks factory made...

Old November 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Sorry Fezz, I don't use Egyptian bowls so can't help you with the heat/coal issue. Not all machine made are bad. MYA is machined and would not be one of the top brands if all were junk. As for very heavy stems. I have a KM Precision and it's a brick. It's also VERY unstable because it is so top heavy. If I use the KM hose it came with it topples over. I agree that if it's too light it could be junk, but the same goes for the upper end. Btw that precision smoke great using a Razan. Keep in mind Fezz, all these answers you are getting are purely our own experiences, which are completely different from each others. What works great for me may be garbage for others. Try everything and find out in the end for yourself what works.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
This all makes me wonder about the Julam cause its supposed to be a super light stem and looks factory made...
I was just thinking that. It is made of Aluminum or mostly anyway and it is super light and it has that big jewel in the middle. Kind of hard to say I guess.

I mean that isn't to say it won't smoke well or last just that it doesn't bode well based on what people look for.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
Sorry Fezz, I don't use Egyptian bowls so can't help you with the heat/coal issue. Not all machine made are bad. MYA is machined and would not be one of the top brands if all were junk. As for very heavy stems. I have a KM Precision and it's a brick. It's also VERY unstable because it is so top heavy. If I use the KM hose it came with it topples over. I agree that if it's too light it could be junk, but the same goes for the upper end. Btw that precision smoke great using a Razan. Keep in mind Fezz, all these answers you are getting are purely our own experiences, which are completely different from each others. What works great for me may be garbage for others. Try everything and find out in the end for yourself what works.
Mostly I am trying to spark some discussion. I won't be able to get another pipe for a while and I don't even have the one I will soon be getting. It has already been purchased so no turning back on that. It will be great. My wife seems to have good luck getting me risky gifts. She got me a 50 year old camera that I love. She got me an exposure meter that is perfect for me. Now she got me this from apparently one of the handful of E-bay dealers of Hookahs that is legit. From what she tells me this thing checks out and fits all the bills. Mostly I am asking cause I couldn't answer her questions. But what I am hearing is that Aesthetics are second in most people's opinions here. Oh sure it needs to look nice but mostly it needs to look like a workhorse. It also seems to be all about the stem cause you can always change out the other stuff.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Mostly I am trying to spark some discussion............... But what I am hearing is that Aesthetics are second in most people's opinions here. Oh sure it needs to look nice but mostly it needs to look like a workhorse. It also seems to be all about the stem cause you can always change out the other stuff.
Absolutely, and that's what this place is for. As for aesthetics, you are correct. Yes you can get both as I have in my Syrians. Egyptians are not as lovely but smoke like trains, both of mine do.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I'd say the Julam is a machine crafted hookah, Egyptian style. Whether it is from China or some other country, even Egypt, who knows.

I do know that John has proven that it smokes wonderfully. It also comes with a diffuser, phunnel and a wide-gauge washable hose so the producers obviously have been doing their research..
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
I'd say the Julam is a machine crafted hookah, Egyptian style. Whether it is from China or some other country, even Egypt, who knows.

I do know that John has proven that it smokes wonderfully. It also comes with a diffuser, phunnel and a wide-gauge washable hose so the producers obviously have been doing their research..
I think it comes with the Phunnel but the hose wasn't anything special. He was negotiating the price down so he could offer it with their special hose. Kind of a Razan style deal. In other words he is negotiating some wicked upgrades on it. I don't really understand the point of the diffuser but it is cool that it comes with it. Anyway for me I couldn't see spending $120 on a hookah but I suppose if I had it to spend I might think differently.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i would need to inspect it personally to tell if its high quality

personally i will only buy traditional chamber. brass is a plus in my book.

if its made by al nawras, nour, km, mz, el ashrey, shishaking i would be immediately interested in looking at it more closely but overall id have to hand inspect each one.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook