Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Phunnel V. Vortex

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default Phunnel V. Vortex

Both of these bowls intrigue me here. I know many of you use both. So I have been wondering which do you prefer and why? Do they smoke differently from each other? Are the Vortexes more difficult to clean than an Egyptian bowl.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Phunnel V. Vortex

Vortexes are hard to clean, harder then I have time for or patience for. They get grime in the inside of the center cone that is very hard to get out, I had to use a pipe cleaner.
The holes in the vortex are small and get plugged up easily. The very bottom of the shisha never get's smoked, and it is actually not at all like the phunnel in build or function.
The Vortex is made of a less expensive, lighter and thinner material then a Phunnel. It's mass produced as well, not by hand.
The Vortex does not re-direct the smoke through the shisha AND juices completely, as a phunnel+mod does. Rather, it pulls from the middle of the shisha. The Vortex get's juice leaks into the stem and base after the majority of sessions. The Phunnel never leaks.

I believe, all in all, the Phunnel is still much better and the Vortex needs a re-vamp before it can even compete. Now, the Vortex is 5 bucks less, but that 5 bucks you are paying is for hand-made care and quality. The Vortex is extremely smokeable, don;t get me wrong, but the Phunnel and the Phunnel+Mod set-up is just much more funtional.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

You aren't the first person I have read this from but there seems to be an overall love affair with the Vortex in this forum so I wanted to get some thoughts on it.

The mod basically adds a middle section correct? How is it different from a vortex? Do you prefer to smoke with a Phunnel mod or without?
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

The mod's design is to theoretically re-direct the smoke pathway, bringing it down through the bottom of the bowl, where all the juicy juices are, adding more flavor.

The phunnel itself prolongs the life of shisha in a bowl by keeping it moist, as no juices can escape down the shaft.

The mod also cuts shisha use in 1/3, I use literally 15 grams of shisha on a small phunnel every session, which goes for 1-2 hours depending on the tobacco.

The vortex doesn't pull the air through the bottom, just through the middle. Also, the bottom is more of a v-shape, instead of being rounded, and juices and shisha don't get touched that far down. The Vortex, being very thin, get's very hot very quickly. The Phunnel takes longer, but stays at a peak temp. and stays hotter longer, adding to the flavor and over-all smoke quality.

I personally use a Sm. Phunnel + Mod on every bowl I smoke.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Ok so a small phunnel and mod uses about 15 grams. How many coals do you use?
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

2 Coconaras, or 2 Awa'el. 3 of each if I'm smoking Layalina, Tangiers***, Al Fakher Mint.

*** No mod with Tangiers.

What can i say, I'm a minimalist. I don't have much cash to spend at this moment, so shisha conservation is top priority.

Hell, I have an AF Mint tub with about 80 grams left in it from almost a year and a half ago, and I use that quite a bit.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I use both bowls. I use them depending on the pipe. Vortex on my Genie and the phunnel on the KM. Both work flawlessly and I have yet to have an issue with either. I do not use a MOD, I have never had a need to. I have found no buildup inside the Vortex and the holes have never clogged. The bonus of the Vortex over a phunnel is you dont have to buy a seperate MOD if your trying to save tobacco, or keep the foil off the middle opening. Also it's much easier to find a wind cover for if your not interested in making one from cans. Both bowls hold nearly the same amount of tobacco, and again I do not use a MOD.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
I use both bowls. I use them depending on the pipe. Vortex on my Genie and the phunnel on the KM. Both work flawlessly and I have yet to have an issue with either. I do not use a MOD, I have never had a need to. I have found no buildup inside the Vortex and the holes have never clogged. The bonus of the Vortex over a phunnel is you dont have to buy a seperate MOD if your trying to save tobacco, or keep the foil off the middle opening. Also it's much easier to find a wind cover for if your not interested in making one from cans. Both bowls hold nearly the same amount of tobacco, and again I do not use a MOD.
So you find the Vortex smokes down to the bottom?
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

I excitedly tried the Vortex for a while and found myself going back to the phunnel exclusively. However, I usually smoke wetter shisha -- Tangiers, AF, Havana, and doctored-up Nakhla.

Quote:
Also it's much easier to find a wind cover for if your not interested in making one from cans.
This is definitely an under-discussed topic and my biggest complaint concerning phunnel bowls. The "Extra Tall" wind covers sold by many vendors (including several who post frequently here) aren't wide enough or tall enough to cover a phunnel bowl used with a KM. I resort to balancing my wind cover on a spare set of tongs. This would seem to be a market opportunity for an enterprising hookah-smoking sheet metal enthusiast out there....
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
So you find the Vortex smokes down to the bottom?
I rarely, except in certain flavors, smoke to the bottom. Even using the phunnel. I have with Nakhla Margarita, a 2.5 hour session that went without burn or harshness. The tobacco was a solid black donut when done. Using the Vortex that is, 2.5 hours.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
This is definitely an under-discussed topic and my biggest complaint concerning phunnel bowls. The "Extra Tall" wind covers sold by many vendors (including several who post frequently here) aren't wide enough or tall enough to cover a phunnel bowl used with a KM. I resort to balancing my wind cover on a spare set of tongs. This would seem to be a market opportunity for an enterprising hookah-smoking sheet metal enthusiast out there....
That is exactly what happened to me. It seems the KM trays sit far lower on the stem than most.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

It goes back to my pipe smoking days this obsession with smoking to the bottom. I have never had a lot of disposable income. Pipe tobacco and now Hookah tobacco is pretty cheap really. But still I want to get all of my money out of it. When it isn't enjoyable any more you toss it. As long as you are getting thick flavorful smoke I want to use it all up. 2.5 hours is about as long as I could imagine smoking though. Like through a long movie or something. I can't imagine a lot of scenarios where I would want to smoke 3 hours or longer. I think I would want to go to be long before that. LOL.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

By the way it will be a while before I look into getting anything else. I will have a fairly nice Egyptian bowl and that is pretty much what I will use for a while. The Vortex and Phunnel intrigue me and someday I may grab one when I am buying more tobaccos that I can't get in a store or a replacement hose or something but I won't go out of my way to get one right now. Just trying to spark up some conversation.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Ohh, and if you choose to buy a Mod, that will run you 8 more bucks, so all-in-all, unless you buy a phunnel form MNhookah and you want a glass mod, the Phunnel will run you upwards of 23 dollars.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

any funnel / phunnel is a waste of tobacco in my opinion! seriously what a waste!

But I do like using the vortex on occasion because it is a little smaller. I don't fill it up very far and use two coals with hookah hookah and 3 with wetter tobaccos. Works great .. I use a windcover to concentrate the heat with the lesser amount of tobacco. This gives me some good flavorful smoke, without worrying so much about the heat being so close to the tobacco.

Most of the time I just use a MYA bowl or my favorite bowl which is the Saudi Bowl from Hookah Company ($3.95)

Your tobacco stash will last longer in either one of the above bowls ..

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
The Vortex and Phunnel intrigue me and someday I may grab one when I am buying more tobaccos that I can't get in a store or a replacement hose or something but I won't go out of my way to get one right now. Just trying to spark up some conversation.
You will eventually just due to the fact that there seems to be a big group of family that may be smoking with you and the phunnel/Vortex works best when supporting several smokers. As to the 2.5 hour smoke, I just couldn't quit. That margarita was so friggin tasty I just couldn't stop putting coals on. Believe me I rarely smoke more than an hour. Lol, I just couldn't stop, it was that good.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
You will eventually just due to the fact that there seems to be a big group of family that may be smoking with you and the phunnel/Vortex works best when supporting several smokers. As to the 2.5 hour smoke, I just couldn't quit. That margarita was so friggin tasty I just couldn't stop putting coals on. Believe me I rarely smoke more than an hour. Lol, I just couldn't stop, it was that good.
Nice. I imagine there will be some I just couldn't stop nights for me too but probably when the wife is staying with her parents or on some holiday weekend or something. OH may I am hoping that over Christmas break I will get a lot of chances to burn through some samples.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
thetallest
Hookah Newbie

I love my vortex. I have never had any of the problems with it that others seem to have had. It has been really easy to clean, I just wipe it out with a paper towel and some water. Nothing ever sticks. I have never had the holes clog up or juices drip down the stem. I have never used a phunnel so I can't comment on those, but my vortex has been really great.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
mack65401
Hookah Newbie

Using a small funnel with a wet tobacco, I can get close to 4 hours of smoking time if I am careful. Of course, that is too long of a period for smoking, so I usually end up quitting after about 2 hours so. Like Sambooka said, after about 2 hours, there is quite a bit of unburnt tobacco left at the bottom of the funnel. So I scrape off the burnt layer of tobacco carefully and keep the rest in the funnel. When the next smoking session rolls around, I simply fill the top of the funnel with fresh tobacco and keep smoking. I have three funnel bowls and I usually have 3 or 4 different kinds of tobacco open at a time so this setup works for me.
I have asked a friend of mine to prepare multiple bowls, some with left over tobacco at the bottom and some entirely fresh, and did a blind taste test, and I wasn't able to discern any differences in the taste, therefore this setup works very well for me. Of course, people with a more sensitive palate might have issues with the left over tobacco...
________
Avandia Lawsuit

Last edited by mack65401; May 5th, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

vortex +1
phunnel -1

im so glad i got myself a vortex, i don't think i'll use any other bowls from here on, i dont see why when vortex smokes much better and less tobacco, the phunnel needs a mod for best results and vortex doesn't.. thats why im w/ the vortex.

i did load a phunnel for a group session but after 1+hr i still had loads of tobacco on the bottom, untouched... waste....

it took me about 3-5 sessions to get my phunnel to work right, trial and error w/ coals/foil/packing methods; it was just a hassle. my vortex smoked right the first time! well after i got my replacement bc of the positions of the holes
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i guess i am an outlier but when i smoke, i smoke for at least 2 hours. small phunnel is my best friend. have 2 in the car, 2 at my gfs house and a few at home. dont use mods with any tobacco.

i have a jet phunnel w/ screen and mod but i never use it anymore. cleaning it becomes nearly impossible without boiling it, even then its still hard and if you scratch the glass good luck cleaning it.

in terms of the vortex, it looks alright, but if its thin ceramic its going to be a pain on head management
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
I believe, all in all, the Phunnel is still much better and the Vortex needs a re-vamp before it can even compete. Now, the Vortex is 5 bucks less, but that 5 bucks you are paying is for hand-made care and quality. The Vortex is extremely smokeable, don;t get me wrong, but the Phunnel and the Phunnel+Mod set-up is just much more funtional.
thanks for clearing this up for me, makes sense what you're saying. I am planning on getting a sm phunnel soon
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Ah ha so I see here we are divided. I guess it all depends on how and what you smoke. It may also be what you try first. I know in my experience if there are two formats I usually go with the one I am most used to or the one most like what I am used to. I will probably eventually try both but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were.
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

By the way you guys rock. This discussion has been very informative and it amazes me how polarized everyone is on this. You either love one and hate the other or vice versa. The best you get is I love this one so much more but the other is ok if you do it right.
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
MercQV62
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MercQV62

I have smoked many clay Egyptian bowls, Mya Saras bowls, Tangiers Phunnel and Vortex bowls. Don't get me wrong, the phunnel does smoke well, but it uses a lot of shisha. Which may be great for long, indoor sessions, but I usually smoke outside in the North-East kingdom of Vermont, which is veryyy cold. The vortex bowl uses about 25 grams of shisha and I find it to be far more flavorable than any standard clay bowl. However, the tangiers bowl might be slightly better, but I view it as a huge waste. Not to mention, the bowl plus the mod will cost you about 2.5 times the cost of a vortex. So, if you smoke for an hour and a half or less, I would highly reccomend the Vortex.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook