Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cleaning and Hose life?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM
NinjaRider
Hookah Newbie

Default Cleaning and Hose life?

Pretty much as the title says, I did a search but didn't really come up with too much

Anyways, I usually do a complete cleaning about every 7th or 8th time I use my pipe (change the water, run the pipe cleaner through the stem about 5 times, general cleaning of the inside/outside of the vase, and I normally clean the bowl after every smoke) and my question is: should I clean it more or less? Anything else you guys would recommend? I haven't noticed any differences in smoke, but I just want to extend the life of the pipe as much as possible. Also, I understand that the hose that came with my hookah is a non-washable type, so about how long do these hoses last and is there anything I can do to help extend the life?

- Josh
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89
Default Re: Cleaning and Hose life?

i would just advise upgrading to a washable one like a nammor ar razan
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Make sure to blow out your hose and purge the vase at the end of every smoke.

I'm like you in that my hookah gets a proper thorough scrub and clean probably every 6 or 8 uses, which means about every 3 or 4 days.

Purging the hose after the smoke and leaving it unplugged from your pipe to let fresh air circulate through is my best advice. Leave them in a dry place, I'd say hanging over a hook or something personally. Do not under any circumstance get water in the pipe. They will rust through and the first warning you'll get is a mouthful of dirty smoky cardboard and some rusty metal particles.

I use nammors/razan hoses and love em, they get washed every time I can taste anything in them basically - when I smoke mint or mint blends for example.
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

ill wash anything, but namoor is the way to go, i thought it was odd at first, tried it, loved them, good length, nice gauge, easy to clean

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
NinjaRider
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FliM- View Post

I'm like you in that my hookah gets a proper thorough scrub and clean probably every 6 or 8 uses, which means about every 3 or 4 days.

Purging the hose after the smoke and leaving it unplugged from your pipe to let fresh air circulate through is my best advice. Leave them in a dry place, I'd say hanging over a hook or something personally. Do not under any circumstance get water in the pipe. They will rust through and the first warning you'll get is a mouthful of dirty smoky cardboard and some rusty metal particles.

I use nammors/razan hoses and love em, they get washed every time I can taste anything in them basically - when I smoke mint or mint blends for example.
Yeah I always blowout the old smoke after every use and leave the hose unplugged.

As far as rusting, are you talking about getting water up in the upper part of the stem? Should be all stainless if I understand it right, although I would really want to get water up there anyways

Last edited by NinjaRider; November 11th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

No, water in the hose. The hoses have a metal coil in them that makes/holds the shape. Seems to rust oddly quickly.
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

the coil is usually behind plastic, no

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:42 AM
comptonsmoker
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to comptonsmoker Send a message via Yahoo to comptonsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FliM- View Post

I totally agree i got water in there and had to replace it after a mouth full of rust..I don't have any razan hoses but i have nammors and they are wonderful and easy to wash...
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:48 AM
BlackClaw
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
the coil is usually behind plastic, no
You are correct but that is not to say it is air and/or water tight. I suppose it would last a while but me myself I use a costume hose made with cloth and nylon hose or just the nylon hose if I'm lazy. I believe someone make's a washable hose but I have not yet gotten a chance to try one. Hope this helped
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I keep saying it and saying it! I don't wash my hookah hoses, no need to! Just blow the smoke out and you would be surprised how well that works! Also check out the cheap plastic hose that Hookah-Shisha.com sells, it is awesome! and only $7:95 I use it all the time and have never washed it. It doesn't hang onto the smells or particles. You may want to dress it up with a hose cover though. But it is completely plastic, so even if you do wash it, there is NO chance of it ever falling apart!

I have a few hookah hoses, for similar flavors. A green one for mint flavors, a red one for berry flavors, a brown one for coffee flavors, etc. And I just blow the smoke out immediately after I decide I am done smoking the hookah.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya blowing out does help but i am one of those people that ends up letting the hose sit for a few mins then take a few pulls then it sits so the smoke settles a little but for the most part i can keep from having to clean my hoses often.

i dont leave water in my base ever, and i rarely leave the hookah unwashed over night and if i do i wash it pretty early the next day

-matt
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I have not cleaned a hookah hose in approx 2 years .. and my hoses are in pristine condition!

I try really hard to offer advice on the whole hose thing ... I am trying to help ya all out .. trust me when I tell you to just buy a couple hoses and use them for similar flavors. You can buy discontinued hoses from hookahhookah.com and saharasmoke.com for like $3

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Binsky
Hookah Newbie

It really depends what you're smoking with. If your tobacco is dry like nakhla, then you can get away with cleaning it about every 5 sessions. If its something like layalina (or something wetter, cause I know there are others that make it look dry) you may have to do a cleaning after each session. I try to clean my hookah after every 3 sessions, but even when im smoking nakhla, the water is usually brown in the bowl. I have yet to find a way to get the nakhla cappuccino taste out of my razan tho. I might attack it with some lemon juice and baking soda.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

o i didnt mention that my cleaning after every session is 2-3 bowls too so that gives a good reason

-matt
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hubbly Bubbly
Hookah Newbie

Hey Josh
I'm a hookah smoker for many years so I had my chances to experiment with different methods of smoking, cleaning and so forth...
I strongly recommend to change water and properly rinse your vase after each time you smoke; run a stream of warm water through the stem and let it dry; blow through your hose repeatedly right after you take the last puff and finish smoking - that will remove the smallest particles out of it. It's also good to leave it hanging over night so I would "breathe" a little. Never ever wash your hose, if only it is not completely washable. Otherwise, you have great chances to inhale little chunks of rust formed inside of it. It happened to me and believe me - that's an awful feeling.

--
Anar
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

o ya the hanging up of hoses, it not only keeps them out of the way but lets anything settle out of them more so and if you have a washable hose it drys it

-matt
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:14 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

I have a rather unique way of cleaning my hose. Since I have a home brewery, my beer lines needed to be cleaned often. So I have a line brush which is about 4 feet long and fits perfectly inside my hookah hoses. Run it thru ( DRY ) a few times from both ends, then blow it out good. You will be surprised how much crap you will knock loose with this method.

I won't post the link to the sites that sell these (cuz it would be spamming) but do a google search on "Nylon Hose Brush" and you will probably find lots of them. They usually come in 3/16 and 3/8 inch diameters.

Les
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHookahStore View Post
I have a rather unique way of cleaning my hose. Since I have a home brewery, my beer lines needed to be cleaned often. So I have a line brush which is about 4 feet long and fits perfectly inside my hookah hoses. Run it thru ( DRY ) a few times from both ends, then blow it out good. You will be surprised how much crap you will knock loose with this method.

I won't post the link to the sites that sell these (cuz it would be spamming) but do a google search on "Nylon Hose Brush" and you will probably find lots of them. They usually come in 3/16 and 3/8 inch diameters.

Les
Great idea, I bet that method works really well! Thanks Les!

Old November 13th, 2008, 01:26 AM
NinjaRider
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys, a lot of good info here
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHookahStore View Post

Les
Nice and I bet that works on non-washable hoses as well. I mean as much as you can get since the leather naturally absorbs some. It would make a non-washable hose last longer though. Sweet.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

ive washed my razan ONCE and that was the first day i got it, just to rinse out that gunk inside the hoses..
2 months later... still smokes the same, no smell build-up and my flavor is still there w/ each bowl
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook