Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

AF Melon Help..

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

Default AF Melon Help..

Ok, so everyone and their brother on this forum, and other hookah forums pretty much say AF is the end all be all short of Tangiers and some select other few.. I have not yet had the chance to try any until now. Up until now I've smoked Tangiers, Romman, Al Waha, Nakhla, Layalina, Fantasia, and Fusion.

Now everytime I've opened a box of shisha, it more or less smells like what it is supposed to be. Some much closer than others, but for the most part it smells like it should.

On to the tub of AF Melon I got. manufacture data is Nov 2007, says it expires next year. I got the box from H-S.com. Open it up, take out the tub. All nice and fancy, with a little handle and everything. Open the tub, got the resealable baggie inside.

Open it up, and find the red mess that is AF. But what is this smell? It sure doesn't smell anything like melon. Infact, if anything, it kinda smells like a mix of rotten fruit and food coloring..

So I go to smoke it, and it atleast tastes better than it smelled, but I wouldn't go as far to say as it tasted like cantaloupe.. I have no idea what it does taste like, but not melon..

I'm going to give it another try, as I'm thinking.. Ok.. Maybe it's sat in this bag for too long and needs to air out alittle. I let it sit for maybe 30 minutes, but I had to do some other stuff, so I didn't get a chance to see if it really helped or not.

So, 1st impression is not too good.. The AF is almost a mush due to the extreme fine cut. There is a SHITLOAD of stems in it. More so than I think I've seen in any other shisha. It pretty much smells funky as all get out.. Nothing like opening a bag of tangiers, and it smells exactly like what it is. Shit, even Romman smells like what its supposed, it just happens to kinda suck..

Bad tub? This is how it is? Needs to air out? Thoughts? Hate for dissing the AF? Anything would be good.

I also have a tub of grape that I haven't opened, so we'll see what that has to offer, but so far, AF seems to be lacking if this is how it is...

It does not smell like ketchup btw.. Just kinda like plastic is the best way I can describe it.. Just off.. completely odd and fake smelling.. I dunno..
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

Default Re: AF Melon Help..

it seems it just needs to acclimate more- try airing it out and mixing it up every once and awhile over the course of a few hours. it may help- it may just be a bad batch. someone with more AF experience will chime in, im sure.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

AF Melon to me smells like melon but tastes like beer and melon. If it smells funky let it air out for a few hours and see if the smell improves. Usually it will and the taste will change for the better as well.

I will tell you that IMO AF is far from being the be all and end all, same with Tangiers. Nakhla and Fusion are better than AF and Tangiers by far.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

From what I've read, AF doesn't need to acclimate.. Guess it just depends on the batch then.. Tangiers is the only thing I've had to acclimate thus far.. Everything else has been good out of the box..

Nakhla is pretty good, but I don't think I've gotten some really good flavors just yet.. I've tried apricot, sweet melon, and margarita..

apricot was just kinda odd of a flavor.. didn't appeal to me.. their melone was pretty good, but little too sweat for my liking.. margarita was a limey mess.. It was ok, but its nothing I'd smoke all the time.. Guess I need to keep trying!

I think I've only tried fusion once, but from I remember, it was pretty damn good.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Don't bother acclimating anything other than Tangiers. First thing you want to do is take all the items in your house labeled Al Fakher and toss them in the trash. Then re-order Nakhla Sweet Melon or Fumari Melon and taste the end all melons. I have some 06 tubs of AF that smoke perfectly so it's not the date that's killing that tub. More likely it's production.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

i also have 06 af melon...i don't know what melon it's suposed to be but i like it
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
reality-
Banned

AF is not bad tobacco.. dont listen to what people say about AF is bad production and this and that..
some of the AF flavours is betetr and some maybe not as suceeded, I havent tried the melon but if u would try a flavour that is good from AF it will always be good...
Its not like some people say about for example starbuzz that some batches is really good then they re-order and it doesnt taste like the last one.. AF is not like this..
The only problem was a time that some VERY FEW people complained about the grape smelling like ketchup and then suddenly alot more people smelt the ketchup..
but thats been taken care of now what I hear so just choose the right AF flavours and you will not be dissapointed.. I'd say go for golden esk apple or golden grape or pipe or pom or double apple or grape and mint, caffe latte, bubble gum is alright too... theese are some I can tell you are good AF...

and also using the right teqnic for Af is important.. pack your bowl to the top, then gently push it down a bit so u have more distance between foil and tobacco... AF needs right ammount of heat to be good smoked.. too much will of course give a burnt taste but to little will make it taste very strange as well.. for example my AF DA tastes really shit for a few minutes like I dont know what is going on.. then I add some more coal and suddenly POOOOM its excellent!

Last edited by reality-; November 12th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

I got a couple of ppl saying that its quite likely that it could be a bad batch from 07, as the 08 melon smells and tastes just like cantaloupe.. This tub just doesn't quite smell like that..

Shisha makers should put scratch and sniff stickers on their tubs so you know what stuff is supposed to smell like!!

I'm not going to discredit AF off the bat like this. I have the grape I haven't tried yet. So, we shall see. If both of them have the same kinda smell though, i will begin to wonder what the story is.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

It was A LOT of people complaining about the grape and it still has issues. I have tossed out two 250gr tubs(1 regular and 1 golden) and two 50gr boxes so far this year. All four were 08 prod dates.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
reality-
Banned

maybe some people just smell it like ketchup I dont know but u cannot ay it was ALOT of people if it was like 10 on this forum maybe max 25 people? U know how many that smokes al fakher.. and I say yes possible there was alittle problem with a few batches about the grape but dont spread this disease to all flavours of al fakher..
I have myself a excellent grape but Im not ruling out that some grapes went bad a little while..
But this is not like everytime someone postes something about Af in this forum that u can say "ohh heyyy they got bad batches! watch out for ketchup!"
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

No, the forum is the worst place to gauge products, as most people come on to only talk about their problems. For every 1 person you have complaining about something, you have probably another 10 that don't. Unless its SoEx..
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Nakhla and Fusion are better than AF and Tangiers by far.

co-sign
________
ecig forum

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

I dunno about Nakhla and fusion being better than Tangiers though.. from the stuff I've had from both Nakhla and fusion have been very good, Tangiers simply is the stuff to beat. They get their flavors DOWN. Period. You get kiwi, it smells and tastes like kiwi. You get orange soda, it smells and tastes like orange soda right down to the carbonation.. Also they have some variety that keeps it interesting, and their odd offerings not only work, but they can be mind blowing.

So to say that nakhla and fusion beat tangiers by far? kind of a stretch there. But that's not the point of this thread. We can debate who has the biggest e-penis, I mean tastiest shisha in another thread..

Anyone who has actually had AF Melon, and kind chime in on how it should be, would be the most help, so I can determine if yes.. My tub is rotten, try again, and see what happens.. or, no, this is how AF is.. move along to a different brand.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

I wish I could chime in on the AF Melon but I actually prefer the Nakhla Melon for price, smoke, and taste. I like to use my AF as mixers because the flavors aren't as strong as I would like. I'm am weary when it comes to smoking just individual flavors and really can't go without a mixture.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
maybe some people just smell it like ketchup I dont know but u cannot ay it was ALOT of people if it was like 10 on this forum maybe max 25 people? U know how many that smokes al fakher.. and I say yes possible there was alittle problem with a few batches about the grape but dont spread this disease to all flavours of al fakher..
I have myself a excellent grape but Im not ruling out that some grapes went bad a little while..
But this is not like everytime someone postes something about Af in this forum that u can say "ohh heyyy they got bad batches! watch out for ketchup!"
It was a lot and not just from this forum. As a member of three forums I seen the issue spread out and far beyond 10.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

not going to fault a company for screwing up once. it happens. what they do to fix it and if they do is whats important. and it should be a bad memory at this point. I think I just happened to get a tub that went bad. No biggie, I just want to verify that this is the case or not.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
not going to fault a company for screwing up once. it happens. what they do to fix it and if they do is whats important. and it should be a bad memory at this point. I think I just happened to get a tub that went bad. No biggie, I just want to verify that this is the case or not.
Once would be a one time batch however AF stated that they changed the 07 recipe and the entire year was a waste on grape flavor. The issue continued into the first half of 08 with AF saying they were still working out the issue. Some of the 08 were ok while others were still suffering from the issue. And just to clarify before anyone can turn anything I have stated into a full AF hate post, I just hate AF grape. I dislike the new cut, but hate grape.

Last edited by Kwikwi; November 12th, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

Any idea if the batch problems happened for any other flavors or just the grape?
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I had some AF Melon and wasn't toooo impressed with it. So you are not alone with your taste buds. I feel the same way ...

If you want a good melon just go with the Nakhla Sweet Melon or Romman Melon I liked both of those. I prefer the Nakhla

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

Well, being not impressed with it is different from being bad. Do you remember it smelling like melon atleast? Did it smell bad? I'm just trying to differentiate from being not a good flavor to being outright bad tub, try again.
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I don't think any of it is outright bad .. I think it just smells like shyt! I was very disappointed, it tasted NOTHING like Melon to me ..

TRY Nakhla or Romman Melon .. Nakhla is preferred

Cheers! HOPE that helps!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

hm.. good to know.. To me, it smells like rotten fruit kinda.. I want to refuse to believe that this is just how it is, especially considering the following that AF has. But you never know. Alot of people like Romman, no offense Sambooka, but I'm not a fan. Its to each his own, but this stuff I got it downright funky, to the point that there would be no way ANYONE would like it. I have to write it off as a bad batch.. Hope the grape I got fares better..
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
reality-
Banned

dude.. thats what I thought of AF rose .. NoWAY anyone would like this.. but I was wrong.. some ppl love it, and many peiople would concider to use it as a mixer.. Ouuuuuuughhh ... makes me throw up a bit in my mouth ( quote from movie dodgeball lol )
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Barnaby
Hookah Newbie

This is true.. Romman Ivory Coast is like that for me. Tasted like burnt plastic grapefruit to me.. Way too sour and nasty. But, some ppl love it to death, and I traded it off.. go figure...
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
hm.. good to know.. To me, it smells like rotten fruit kinda.. I want to refuse to believe that this is just how it is, especially considering the following that AF has. But you never know. Alot of people like Romman, no offense Sambooka, but I'm not a fan. Its to each his own, but this stuff I got it downright funky, to the point that there would be no way ANYONE would like it. I have to write it off as a bad batch.. Hope the grape I got fares better..
no offense taken!

The Romman Melon is definitely very good! It is worth a 50gm try if you ever order anything from Hookah-Shisha.com in the future. Check out my review, you can tell by my excitement how great I really thought it was! Corny review but you get the jest of it .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4q_fLF-i4

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook