Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Question about the health if you smoke hookah.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM
bLinkZor
Hookah Nut

Default Question about the health if you smoke hookah.

Man, my girlfriend is telling me that hookah is more worse then cigarettes and my other friend said you need to take 100 puffs of hookah to make it equivalent to one cigarette. Is this true?? I just want to confirm this with you guys because I want to get my girlfriend into the hookah business.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
reality-
Banned

Default Re: Question about the health if you smoke hookah.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207
here you go . go wild!there is a myth spreading about 1 hookah session is equavalent to 100 ciggs but that is just a bull-myth.. Id rather say 1 session = 1 cigg...
but I smoke with diffuser so I dont feel much nicotine at all.. check out the review section about HEBA diffuser to read more about it.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

There's no way to tell. No data, no nothing. I have seen scientific research saying 100 cigs is equivalent, and then i have seen data of Iranian smokers that smoke once or twice a day and it does absolutely nothing to them.

I have never had ill health effects, i smoke once a day mostly, and i run every single day and have had no shortness of breath. I don't cough, my voice isn't scratchy. I'd say most of the anti-hookah studies are more propaganda than anyhting.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

First off : All Smoking is Unhealthy

That being said, the Shisha you smoke out of a hookah is substantially less harmful for you than the smoke you would get from a cigarette.

The main difference is that Shisha is Natural Tobacco, mixed with Molasses and Glycerin.

Shisha also comes in two varieties. Washed Tobacco contains less nicotine than its Unwashed counterpart.

Cigarettes use Processed Tobacco that contains a large number of additives, most notably extra Nicotine and Ammonia. These additives assist in pushing the Nicotine into your blood stream at an accelerated rate. Most cigarette smokers havh extremely high dependencies on nicotine for this reason.

Another factor in smoking a Hookah is that the smoke you're inhaling is much cooler than the smoke you receive from a cigarette. Hookah smoke usually cools to approximately room temperature or a bit warmer, due to the distance it has to travel down the stem and the temperature of the water you have in the bowl.This leads to less heat in your lungs, and less permanent damage when smoking over a long period of time. Cigarette smoke has been measured to be as hot as 500+ Degrees F depending on the length of the cigarette, cut of the tobacco, and additives.

With a hookah, you dont get these additives, and the other bonus is that the most of the tar found naturally in Shisha is Soluble in water. Water makes a much better filtration system than the carbon / paper filters found on cigarettes.

Smoking hookah in moderation will have signifigantly less of an impact on your health, and you'll find its less addicting than cigarettes.

The important thing to remember again, is that All Smoking is Unhealthy and as a personal rule, don't try to push people who don't want to smoke into smoking. It makes them reflect even more poorly on your enjoyable activity!

Last edited by HookahWaffle; November 14th, 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
There's no way to tell. No data, no nothing. I have seen scientific research saying 100 cigs is equivalent, and then i have seen data of Iranian smokers that smoke once or twice a day and it does absolutely nothing to them.

I have never had ill health effects, i smoke once a day mostly, and i run every single day and have had no shortness of breath. I don't cough, my voice isn't scratchy. I'd say most of the anti-hookah studies are more propaganda than anyhting.
yeah same here, smoke and i run for my college, but it is still unhealthy
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
bLinkZor
Hookah Nut

Alright, this prity much answered my question. Thank you guys for helping out.

bLinkZor
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
reality-
Banned

I smoke dialy maybe two or three times and has done for about 2 years.. really I am smoking this much.. its not jsut a few days I smoke two times and then not for 2 days.. I smoke everyyy day at least two times but mostly three...
I train muay thai ( very tough fighting sport ) three times a week. to each of theese three times I run about 5 km ( dunno how long that is in miles but its long in europe lol ) and also theese same 3 times a week I work at the gym after my muay thai workouts... I also work at the gym additional 1 time a week only gym..
I have the best endurance in my group! my performance is getting betetr and better by every day and my health is veru good! never get sick, I build muscle mass while burning phat.. I feel like My body is feeling very good overall..
Now dont tell me I smoke 300 ciggs a day worth of hookah.. its not possible in any way I would not be able to speak a sentences without having breathproblems..
Im going to continiue smoking like this for a while and maybe in a while start to cut down to maybe 1 time a day and I really think that is a safe ammount.. absolutly..
Also Im smoking with the heba diffuser every time, dont know how much this is making difference in health but I can feel I dont get alot nicotine in my system at all.. I smoke cus I love it not cus I must!
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
I smoke dialy maybe two or three times and has done for about 2 years.. really I am smoking this much.. its not jsut a few days I smoke two times and then not for 2 days.. I smoke everyyy day at least two times but mostly three...
I train muay thai ( very tough fighting sport ) three times a week. to each of theese three times I run about 5 km ( dunno how long that is in miles but its long in europe lol ) and also theese same 3 times a week I work at the gym after my muay thai workouts... I also work at the gym additional 1 time a week only gym..
I have the best endurance in my group! my performance is getting betetr and better by every day and my health is veru good! never get sick, I build muscle mass while burning phat.. I feel like My body is feeling very good overall..
Now dont tell me I smoke 300 ciggs a day worth of hookah.. its not possible in any way I would not be able to speak a sentences without having breathproblems..
Im going to continiue smoking like this for a while and maybe in a while start to cut down to maybe 1 time a day and I really think that is a safe ammount.. absolutly..
Also Im smoking with the heba diffuser every time, dont know how much this is making difference in health but I can feel I dont get alot nicotine in my system at all.. I smoke cus I love it not cus I must!
5k is 3 miles its the distance that we run in high school cross country
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to III_3_TDS_3_III

5k is a little over 3 miles

EDIT- Damn beat me too it
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:57 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

What I really wanna know is, do the tobacco suppliers add any additives to the tobacco its self.
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Shisha companies do not use additives other than Molasses and Glycerin Unless otherwise stated on their packaging
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

We actually asked Hajo to write an article regarding this matter and you can find on our site: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_12.htm . Also, there is an official WHO report which is often misquoted and misinterpreted.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by III_3_TDS_3_III View Post
5k is a little over 3 miles

EDIT- Damn beat me too it
too slow
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

You that buzz you get? or have you felt your heart rate while smoking? yeah, if youre sitting on your ass and its doing that, let me tell you, its not healthy.

The smoke? its not good for you. bottom line smoking is bad.

I feel like shit smoking cigs, i feel alright smoking shisha, i mean effects wise. That burn on my throat from cigs, I know thats not good for me. Constant inflammation of tissue will eventually lead to cancer.

I personally think shisha is healthier, but still bad.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM
dimamalta
Hookah Newbie

Hey! don't bealive that hookah is very harmfull. I mean 4 days ago, on the news in my country they said that 1 puff of hookah is equal to 70 puffs of ciggarets. I mean like wtf? That cannot be possibly the truth... i smoke hookah for 2 years, train sports, do jogging and stuff, and i do not smoke siggarets. One a week i drink. I mean anything is bad for you. (even air) if taking it all that way. Well enjoy your shisha!
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM
reality-
Banned

is air really bad for you?
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
hookah-D
Hookah Newbie

Sure all smoking is bad for you. But cigarettes have 499 different chemicals in them. Shisha is made of tobacco, molasses and glycerin. Even if it were true about the equivalent of 70 cigarette puffs, you would still never be drawing that many chemicals into your body from the hookah. The health affects would not even be close. If so we would all be wasting our time by setting up the hookahs. We might as well just smoke those nasty cigs because it would be faster just to light it.
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

I don know it all depends on how you smoke hookah.. you know.. but really for me i can care less i smoke both..
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
czerwonymike
Hookah Newbie

smoking wont have any effect on you if you are that physically active. you can keep it up all you want lol. a heba diffuser only make smaller bubbles in your hookah, it does not have any filtering effects. =(
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Binsky
Hookah Newbie

just like the fumari disclaimer says. "Smoking hookah is bad. It is better than taking an axe to someones head."
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

I have recently had several friends and family telling me how dangerous hookah smoking is and that I should quit. They are all reading the reports found online that say that one hookah session is equivalent to 200 cigarettes.

But even those researchers say that hookah smoking is so new to the US that they haven't done nearly as much research as they have on cigarettes and admit they don't know everything about it.

But from my own experience as an ex-cigarette smoker, I don't cough nearly as much as I did from cigarette smoking. Shisha doesn't have all the added chemicals and added nicotine that cigarettes have. In general, I feel much healthier smoking my hookah than I did with cigarettes.

So as far as I am concerned, hookah smoking is a MUCH healthier alternative to cigarette smoking.
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

all the info you need has been put forth basically but the issue that comes up most is that very few studies have been done correctly. but from personal experience along with many many others here hookah does not give a smokers cough or make people feel bad later/next day what ever. if i smoke a lot of unwashed tobacco in a night i will wake up the next morning and my lungs will be a little sore but no worse than if i smoke a cig

smoking is not good for you, but from any study ive seen done correctly and from a lot of personal accounts and the like hookah seems to be much less harmful, moderation is the key

-matt
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM
razzzzzzzerc
Hookah Newbie

I swear down it dosent matter at dah end of dah day if is bad /good ...its just the persons choice to smoke it If nt den whts dah point !!
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
CasSmo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwonymike View Post
smoking wont have any effect on you if you are that physically active. you can keep it up all you want lol. a heba diffuser only make smaller bubbles in your hookah, it does not have any filtering effects. =(
all you want? doubtful.

All smoking is bad. Everyone should know that, but compared to cigarettes, hookah is probably better for you. The hottest point of a cig can get up to 800deg F. With hookahs you're just heating it up to 100-150C. The temperature has a strong effect on how much tar is produced; hookah smoke before any filtration will have much less tar.

Cool smoke is better for the cilia in the lungs. With cigs you're breathing in tht hot smoke.

Anything water soluble will be filtered at least to some degree when going through the water.

A diffuser will improve any filtration that already exists to at least a small extent. It's physics: more bubbles = more surface area = greater mass transfer
The same with heat transfer. A diffuser will cool the smoke down more, though it may not be noticeable if it's already really smooth. Again, more surface area = greater heat transfer. (see Fick's Law and Fourier's Law)

Last edited by CasSmo; November 17th, 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: wrong temperature for hookah. 100-150C rather than 200F
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook