Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smoking from a fruit bowl?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Default Smoking from a fruit bowl?

I just tried smoking from a fruit bowl for the first time and it is a very interesting experience.

I took a small orange, punched a hole in the bottom for the stem, cut a bigger hole in the top for the shisha. I removed most of the fruit from the top making room for the shisha then loaded it with Starbuzz Tangerine Dream.

It tastes AWESOME, but doesn't draw very well. Any suggestions?

Don't try this with a watermellon
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife
Default Re: Smoking from a fruit bowl?

Some suggestions from our experience:

1. Poke a few random holes through the fruit skin. In the past when using ripe or juicy fruit with a tough outer skin like lemon the fruit has exploded because all the liquid steamed up and had nowhere to go.

2. Make a hole all the way through the fruit, (we usually use the detachable pipe portion from a hookah stem) then on one side of the hole carve out a large section, equivalent to a standard shisha bowl, and in order to support the shisha run some toothpicks through the bottom of the carved out section in a cross hatch pattern.

3. Be really, really careful when punching the hole or carving. I almost lost a finger once.

Hope this helps. If you want to get real creative we did it with a Pineapple once and that was pretty cool.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahlife View Post
Some suggestions from our experience:

1. Poke a few random holes through the fruit skin. In the past when using ripe or juicy fruit with a tough outer skin like lemon the fruit has exploded because all the liquid steamed up and had nowhere to go.

2. Make a hole all the way through the fruit, (we usually use the detachable pipe portion from a hookah stem) then on one side of the hole carve out a large section, equivalent to a standard shisha bowl, and in order to support the shisha run some toothpicks through the bottom of the carved out section in a cross hatch pattern.

3. Be really, really careful when punching the hole or carving. I almost lost a finger once.

Hope this helps. If you want to get real creative we did it with a Pineapple once and that was pretty cool.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life
Pineapple sounds good. You probably had more room for shisha than I did in my tiny tangerine sized orange.

My bottom hole was large enough for the stem and the top hole was pretty big.. I dug out enough fruit to make room for the shisha. It was great for the first 15 minutes then it started being very hard to draw thru. I had to keep removing the coals so I could stir the shisha and make it loose enough to draw thru. But it was still a great experiment. Pineapple will be next, then maybe a coconut.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:23 AM
OCMusicJunkie
Hookah Nut

There is a very nice hookah lounge around here (Dream) that has many fruits to pick from. Off the top of my head, I know they have orange, grapefruit, and watermelon bowls. I've tried the orange and it was very, very good with orange/mint mix.

I assume the reason your draw is poor is because you had the stem sticking too far into the fruit, near the foil. Picture a real bowl- the stem is a good 6" or more from the foil, lots of room for airflow. The best idea is to make some sort of stopper (even if its just electrical tape wrapped around and around) so the stem only comes about 1" into the fruit. To do this, however, you'll need a screen of some sort to put over the stem's top (otherwise shisha will just get sucked down it).

It's not the easiest thing to get right, but it's impressive to break out with people over once you have it down.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie View Post
There is a very nice hookah lounge around here (Dream) that has many fruits to pick from. Off the top of my head, I know they have orange, grapefruit, and watermelon bowls. I've tried the orange and it was very, very good with orange/mint mix.

I assume the reason your draw is poor is because you had the stem sticking too far into the fruit, near the foil. Picture a real bowl- the stem is a good 6" or more from the foil, lots of room for airflow. The best idea is to make some sort of stopper (even if its just electrical tape wrapped around and around) so the stem only comes about 1" into the fruit. To do this, however, you'll need a screen of some sort to put over the stem's top (otherwise shisha will just get sucked down it).

It's not the easiest thing to get right, but it's impressive to break out with people over once you have it down.
A watermelon? WOW, I would think that would make the hookah top heavy, and WOW what a huge bowl!

I only had about 2/3 of the grommet stuck into the fruit. I suspect I used way too small of a fruit. My orange was barely 2" in diameter and I only cleared out about 1/3 of the fruit on top and left a very small opening going down to the stem so the shisha wouldn't fall thru. Next time I will try a large orange, grapefruit or pineapple or other large fruit.

The flavor was fantastic so I will be trying it again soon.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

hmm i wanna doo a fruit bowl really bad.. im deff trying it out this weekend i think im going to try and apple first just cause its easier to carve.
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:28 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

i think the best way to do a fruit bowl is to figure out a way to make it more like a phunnel bowl, that way no sheesha will be covering the airway/stem. i think that would help with the draw problem and keep your rig a little cleaner. i cant really figure out a way to do this though. maybe some tin foil shaped into a cylinder?
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:39 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Now that is a great idea. But it would require a larger fruit like a pineapple or bigger. You probably want the shisha sitting directly on the fruit to give better flavor but it wouldn't be hard to chop off the top of the fruit, make a mote around the top of it and a big hole going down to the stem.

Well, I am off to the grocery store to buy more fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
i think the best way to do a fruit bowl is to figure out a way to make it more like a phunnel bowl, that way no sheesha will be covering the airway/stem. i think that would help with the draw problem and keep your rig a little cleaner. i cant really figure out a way to do this though. maybe some tin foil shaped into a cylinder?
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHookahStore View Post
Now that is a great idea. But it would require a larger fruit like a pineapple or bigger. You probably want the shisha sitting directly on the fruit to give better flavor but it wouldn't be hard to chop off the top of the fruit, make a mote around the top of it and a big hole going down to the stem.

Well, I am off to the grocery store to buy more fruit

well, i don't think that is necessarily true, about the size of the fruit i mean. you just need that center cone to sit up and not have the shisha be blocking your airflow. Maybe you have to use a smaller amount of sheesha, but i think it is worth it.

edit:
Forgive me, my MSPaint-Fu is weak

Last edited by KillerB; November 15th, 2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

ive tried a lot of fruit bowls and the ones that work best are apple, pear and pinapples, something with a big radius, tried a lemon but wasnt very good,

It got hard to pull cos all the top of the flavour was burnt, u gotta get a tootpick or something and from the bottom hole just push the toothpick in and mve it around, so the shisha has a good mix, and ive learnt the hard way, very juicy shisha dont work very well init, like starbuzz, but AF works great
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Making a fruit funnel is actually much easier than it seems.

I made a one a while i ago with a bahraini apple and smoked AF bahraini apple from it and it awws awesome.
I've attached the pics
Attached Thumbnails
apple funnel.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC View Post
Making a fruit funnel is actually much easier than it seems.

I made a one a while i ago with a bahraini apple and smoked AF bahraini apple from it and it awws awesome.
I've attached the pics
I am having a hard time imagining how you didn't burn the crap out of the shisha..... looksl ike you only had a tiny little space in the bowl to pack it, and there was no air between the shisha and foil. Maybe its just the camera angle...
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

It would take some very careful carving, but try to make like a vortex bowl out of an apple or pear. I'm going to try this later with an apple and some Nakhla Double Apple, i'll post back with pics and tell you guys how it went and if it worked out well i'll type out how i did it

Ok i wound up making the vortex-like bowl out of an apple, and it was pretty easy and i got a good smoke out of it. I took pictures that i posted below. Here's how i went about doing it:

Cut about 1/4 of the apple off the top
Scooped out a ring with a small melon scooper on the outer part of the apple on the top
Used a knife to make the smooth curved edge where the scooped out ring met the middle of the "vortex" to make a clean vertical surface to punch holes
Used the downstem of my hookah to make a hole from the bottom of the apple up through the middle of the bowl, so that when i punched holes in the vortex it would smoke
Poked holes in the vortex in the middle so they'd meet the hole i made at the bottom with the downstem, then blew in it to make any seeds/leftover apple not clog the holes.
Just used a knife to make the bottom of the apple fit to the grommet on the stem

Last edited by Gift3d; November 15th, 2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Binsky
Hookah Newbie

We just got some fumari apple blend in, and we were planning on making an apple bowl for it
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Dude try a coconut cut in half. That ought to rock.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Um, dont do it as a bowl, but as a base if you want to do pineapple, you'll need a short stem or a tall pineapple maybe both, but the result can be amazing if you core it right. its very hard to do, you may need to use something to make a good seal.

If you have a powertool, you can try drilling into the top of the pineapple.

I might make a video of this in a few months, but if anyone wants to try it now, please do.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Apple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyhHQvSfHPI

Pear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ94U7d1418

Kiwi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd5sg--aLxc

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
ariakid2118
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ariakid2118

this is something I've wanted to toy around with for a while now. My manager says hes used an apple before but I never knew how it would work b4 now lol.
Those vids are pretty helpful, i gotta try this tomorrow and see how it goes, ill post picks
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Thnx for the video links!

I couldn't imagine kiwi being a bowl, it would take a steady hand and alot of patience to get it right.... neither of which i have
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

you guys are very creative. i like the ideas and i will probably try something like this very soon. great pics too!
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
DrPepper
Hookah Newbie

wussup guys ... anybody havin tips for an orange bowl? or maybe even a video? or pics..... thanks
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

I have videos up for watermellon, apple, lime, pineapple Etc Check em out
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM
sharpy_77
Hookah Nut

Love the apple funnel.. trying that camping this year for sure.. will surly impress some people..

sm0ke Ez
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Somebody should write a script that when a thread reaches a certain age and someone posts in it, all the posts get deleted and replaced with posts that say "BRAAAAAINS.... BRRRRAAAAAIIIINSSSS"

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

The way I did it with an orange( I think it would be bomb with an apple):

-Cut the top of the Fruit for the bowl

-Before you start scooping out the inside, make a hole on the bottom big/deep enough to hold the fruit in place.

-When you start scooping LEAVE A 1/2" LAYER OF FRUIT between the stem hole and what will be the bowl

-Also leave about a half inch on the sides, in order to keep the juices of the fruit

-Once your done scooping, you will have a bowl shape, in which you cant see through. There should be that layer of fruit.

- take a poker and poke 75 or so little holes(i mean like minuscule, just enough for airflow. You make a ton of little holes versus a few big ones.) They should be so little you can barely see them.

- Now poke about 300 holes(same size. VERY LITTLE) on the outside of the bowl. All around it, on the sides. This will create a bunch of airflow.

-THE REASON YOU DO THIS IS MORE WITH THE REALLY JUICY FRUITS. it keep all the juices in but still has alot of airflow.

-pack it up nice and fluffy. keep in mind the juices of the fruit will thicken up the shisha and make it more dense. so pack it fluffy to over compensate.

-Add foil. Poke a normal amount of holes. Not more or less, but normal. You keep the foil airflow as the constant, and the holes all of the fruit the variable. if you need more airflow, poke more holes in the fruit. this way you know the holes in the fruit are the problem if airflow isnt right.

-you may need an extra coal if its a super juicy fruit( I used an orange)

-smoke it like a champ

I know this seems like a long process but it took about 10 min total to do. not very long, just make sure you get the airflow right. In order to test it you can blow up through the stem hole and judge the airflow.

Hope this helps
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook