Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

what got u started???

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM
hookah-D
Hookah Newbie

Red face what got u started???

I started smoking hookah around April of this year. My Arab friend told me about it. I had no idea what the hell she was talking about. I did a little research on it and compared it to the dangers of cigarettes cuz I never smoked anything before. But the damage is minimal. Then I started watching sambookas videos and I saw that girl on you tube. One day I tried it and now I'm hooked. I really like it. How did you all get started smoking hookah? What turned you on to it and made you want to get your own?
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM
TheMadnessAxis
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: what got u started???

im from kuwait sooo ... you just do it :P
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i'm american born with lebanese heritage, it just came to me, more so when i was there 10 years ago, bt now it's everywhere i go here, especially at my house
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Divine
Hookah Nut

Hookah is pretty big in the high schools / colleges around here, so I picked it up from being around friends that were doing it like 5 years ago.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:10 AM
chain
Hookah Pro

i first discovered it when i was trying to buy a pair of subs off one of my friends in high school. he wanted a hookah but couldn't have it mailed to his house. so i offered to buy/mail it to my house in exchange. didn't know anything about them at all. hopped on e-bay one day in my parents room and my dad and i just started talking about them he was pretty interested, i didn't think anything of it. the next week my parents took a trip to see my grandma and when they came back my dad brought me my very first hookah. a 3 hose no name that is currently floating around my friends actually lol i sold it off a while ago. the vase shattered when i left it in my car once though lesson learned the hard way.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:35 AM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

i actually had no influence and no introduction! since i was a young'un i thought hookahs looked just plain cool. i was always intrigued by them- the look, the process (though i had no idea how complex a process), and i guess the mystique. being a czech mutt raised in the farmlands of ohio i had no influence or experience with such things. i married my wife who is half egyptian (but the egyptians in her heritage were adopted by italians in italy so there was no real cultural education- all they really know about egypt is from steve martin's king tut song on snl back in the day) so me and the wife were talking about hookah somehow and our shared interest in it. we did some googling and came across starbuzz flavors and stared at the screen drooling. i went to the local flea market to buy a hookah from the unsavory broad who carries airsoft guns and knives to sell to the local ne'er-do-wells. it was a 2 hose pumpkin that looked cheap so i told her to go screw. i went to a local "shop" and purchased a sahara smoke small hookah and the rest is history. goood stuff. good thread idea.
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

my drinkin buddy bought one, brought it to a party, and we all got wsted and smoked some hookah. and then proceeded to do so every week for a few months.

Then i went halvsies on my own hookah with a friend for my birthday present this year, thats wheni really got into it
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I didnt have an umbilical cord, i just had a namoor to get my nutrients out of....

but uh, prolly my mother's side of the family, theyre all smokers save her.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
thetallest
Hookah Newbie

Some college friends of mine took me out to a hookah bar one night. It was great. We spent about 3 hours there just talking about stuff and smoking. We went back a few times and then I decided to buy my own.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Ok so I had seen them before and was curious because I liked smoking pipes. I went with designs that were supposed to get cooler smokes and some of them were really nice. I loved my Churchwarden Meerschaum pipes. I had heard of Hookah's so I started doing some research. Then I kind of put it aside. Later my wife and I found that the place we had been going for a long time was changing to a sports bar so they could get the business of smokers back. My first reaction was great now we can't come to our favorite place cause restaraunts with smoking screws up my sinuses for days. After a while we came back to see how it was and usually it wasn't too bad. When they were done they had brought in 4 hookahs that they intended to rent just to add a little of Chaddy's culture to the place. They wanted to keep it simple just have a few so they didn't have a lot of flavor mixing and so they didn't have a ton of pipes to keep up since they are more of a restaraunt/now a bar. One of the times we went I begged my wife to try one with me cause I had always wanted to try it. We got strawberry and we liked it a lot. Then we played pool and decided that it would kind of be a date night place. We could go play pool and smoke a hookah and get cheap wings and drinks. The next time we got apple and she loved it. I wasn't a big fan of the Anise but that was what got her into it. So we keep going back and we keep trying to introduce people to it and she bought me one for Christmas and so now I am just waiting to really get into it.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

i bought my own hookah and started smokin at home after talkin to kwikwi about it, he kinda got me on it... i cant stay away from it now
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
NinjaRider
Hookah Newbie

when I lived in lower michigan I used to go out to the hookah bars around where I lived all the time, but then I moved up to the upper peninsula to go to school and there is no lounges like that around here, so I bought my own. I have to say it was a good choice, I should've done it a longggg time ago
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
mutts
Hookah Newbie

I was dating a guy and he was talking to a friend about their time in a hookah bar, it was the first time I ever heard about it and it got me interesting. Then when I was apartment hunting I found a smoke shop that had hookah's in it with in walking distance of all the places I was looking at. We went in a few times so my room mate could by cigars and I kept seeing the hookahs. I started talking to the owner and then came back with a few friends to sit down to my first hookah. I fell in love.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
ariakid2118
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ariakid2118

About 3 yrs ago I used to play pc games like Counterstrike at a cyber-cafe near my school. There was a hookah bar called Sahara two shops down but I didnt know about hookah because I didnt smoke anything at the time so I never paid it any attention. One night me and the guy working at the cyber cafe were loungeing around and he asked if I wanted to go and try it. I said what the hell, and we went in and smoked the rest of the night. It was just a really cool chill experience. I didnt get a chance to smoke shisha for almost a year after that, but when senior year of high school rolled around and my friends and I were 18, we started to go to hookah bars regularly, and now I work in one lol, the rest is history.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
xavier
Hookah Nut

I started about 3 months after my 18 b-day i was with some friends we were all bored and couldn't find any parties to go to,we ended up going to a hookah lounge and smoked some Starrbuzz Citrus Mist for 3 hours. It was great but i didn't want to spend so much money every time i wanted to smoke so about a month later i bought my own and now here i am.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i always thought they was cool and wanted one for a while. and i happened to come accross DMCWEBD on youtube and saw his crazy experiments soo i had to deff get one of my own.. so i thank Diego
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

on a whim....

was eBaying for briar pipe related gear and saw this stuff and thought.... that sounds pretty good.

No prior introduction.... just shelled out and learned after the fact about how to use it.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

I was never a cigarette smoker, didn't even try smoking till I was 18. I went on a trip to Ukraine to visit family and friends and went out one night to this club/hookah lounge. Finally decided to give it a try; I was amazed how smooth the smoke was and the different flavors I could taste. After that point I tried out all the lounges back home and a few months later I bought one myself.

Eugene
Hookah Life
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

"Dude lets go smoke hookah its like flavored water vapor" ... yup thats what my friends told me it was and since that night at the hookah bar I was hooked.
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

haha hooked on hookah. like hooked on phonics.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

I was introduced to hookahs while spending about 6 months in Cyprus in the middle east. A couple of Syrian friends of mine took me to the Syrian Club restaurant where I smoked my first one. I have been hooked ever since.
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
vinylsplinters
Hookah Newbie

in My city (Seattle) everyone knows about hookah so it was only a matter of time before i hot hooked
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Me, at 16, about sophomore in Highschool: "Mom, I'm buying a hookah" (off hand at dinner)
Mother: "OK, do you have enough money?"
Me: "What" (flabbergasted at her response)
Mother: "Pick a pretty one"
Me: "Uhh, OK!"

That's what got me started, her roommate apparently had one in college, she saw it as a great social interaction item, and she loved my friends, so I guess it all fell into place.. Huh..

I asked her why she was so lenient later on in my life, and as long as I wasn't getting drunk or doing other things illegal she could not care.

Cool eh?
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Me, at 16, about sophomore in Highschool: "Mom, I'm buying a hookah" (off hand at dinner)
Mother: "OK, do you have enough money?"
Me: "What" (flabbergasted at her response)
Mother: "Pick a pretty one"
Me: "Uhh, OK!"

That's what got me started, her roommate apparently had one in college, she saw it as a great social interaction item, and she loved my friends, so I guess it all fell into place.. Huh..

I asked her why she was so lenient later on in my life, and as long as I wasn't getting drunk or doing other things illegal she could not care.

Cool eh?
Hug your mom for me
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel View Post
Hug your mom for me
for me too
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook