Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Why should i upgrade to a taller hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Default Why should i upgrade to a taller hookah?

I bought a Mya hookah about 1 year ago that is about 12" tall. Now what benefit would upgrading to say a 32-36" KM bring me? Im not concerned with looks but rather function. How do the taller more expensive hookahs smoke? I have been searching and cant find a clear consensus

THANKS!
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Why should i upgrade to a taller hookah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
I bought a Mya hookah about 1 year ago that is about 12" tall. Now what benefit would upgrading to say a 32-36" KM bring me? Im not concerned with looks but rather function. How do the taller more expensive hookahs smoke? I have been searching and cant find a clear consensus

THANKS!
You won't get a clear consensus. People argue the the longer stems allow the smoke to cool more before it reaches you; but then wouldn't longer hoses be better for that reason too? People also claim that larger hookahs have larger vases and in turn larger smoke reservoirs thus allowing larger clouds. This also remains unproven. A lot of people also claim that its just more aesthetically pleasing for a hookah to be taller and more majestic.

My word is, go to a hookah bar and try a larger hookah. See if you like it; if you do, join the KM club; if not, stay in the wimpy mya club.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Longer stems give the smoke time to cool down, or so I'm told but my Sahara Genie smokes every bit as good as my 32"KM, just not as big of a pull.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
SimplyJustHen
Hookah Newbie

I've also noticed that the difference isn't too significant. I've heard a lot of people say that they get just as much smoke out of a Mya QT as any of their larger hookahs. Personally, I prefer a nice large hookah for looks and stability.

I feel like the larger hookah gives a slightly smoother draw, but that could be a number of things (ie Hose, base size, stem length)
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

[FONT=Verdana]Hey NMC,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Bradedup makes a great point. It's a tough argument as there's no "proven" best smoke. Our personal collection ranges from 8" personal minis to 41" KM's, and anything in between. We use all of them for different reasons, but honestly none are for "better" smoke quality. As long as you purchase a well made hookah, they'll all perform well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The whole talk about the stem helping cool the smoke is completely unproven, and in my experience false. The one thing that does matter in size is there is a tendency for smaller hookahs to pull more smoke, but the sessions don't last as long.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]If I'm having a party, I'll work my larger hookahs for that reason. But mostly if I'm working, or relaxing with myself or a small group I'll bust out the smaller ones.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hope this helps,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Eugene[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hookah Life[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

im goin back to the 20" range for my next and getting a nour.

but for me, a taller hookah is nice, cause you can adjust it while sitting w/o having to bend down.

in most of the hookah bars i went to in the US, they all used small ones and had a few that might have reached 30".

in contrast, in the places i've been to in syria, lebanon, and jordan, they all used taller hookahs, ones where the bowl would be at your head when seated, it would be placed right next to you, and you called over the guy with the coals to keep you going.

i prefer taller, but im not quite sure it smokes better.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Ok thanks guys! I've had this one for a year so im getting bored with it lol. I also havent perfected my heat management and i just bought a new bowl. For 3/4s of the time i had this smaller one i just did what the lady at the hookah store told me to do but in the last month i started researching and trying to improve my techniques. Then i see youtube videos and that makes me want to improve even more. I'll probably "master" this one and then try to move up to a bigger one. Cause right now some sessions are superb while others suck and i spend a lot of time trying to get it right.
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

If you are happy with your short stemmed hookah, and don't have troubles finding the medium between cool big clouds and too much heat, I don't think you'll find a bigger stemmed hookah to be worth it for the function.

However if you often end up with the smoke being too hot without huge clouds, a taller hookah (20+ inches) may be a good idea.

Plus, big hookahs just look awesome!
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

I like big hookahs because you can put them on the ground, where they ought to be.
It's always nice have a little rumble on the floor when hitting from a KM too.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:47 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

I personally prefer the taller ones.. If for no other reason, I am too lazy to bend over to adjust my coals. I also believe that hookahs belong on the floor, not on the table and it is nice when the coal tray is at table height.

And the smoke cooling down more is a slight added benefit. And they look like a real hookah rather than the smaller ones that look like hookah toys. Smaller ones are great if you take it with you a lot, but if not, then the taller ones are better.
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:41 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

I have a small hookah, chinese <12", and it smokes about as well as my 32" KM's. the only difference being that the down stem on my KM is quite a bit larget in diameter, thus a bit easier draw. If KM made an 18" hookah with the same size stem, better believe i'd buy that one.

As far as cooling the smoke, if there's ice in the base, does it really matter if the stem is longer?? i mean, it's like buying a motorcycle that has 192hp instead of 190... it just doesnt matter! lol. It's not what you drive (smoke), it's HOW you drive (smoke) it.

Last edited by CPill; November 20th, 2008 at 04:42 AM. Reason: verbage
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

I think that part of the problem is that a 10"-12" hookah with a 1.5"-2" diameter stem would pull too easy. I mean everything has to be shrunk down otherwise the pressure difference would fill the base too quickly and burn the coals and tobacco faster. Heat management on something like that seems like it would be a beast. I do think the longer stem would allow the smoke to cool somewhat but as has been said the smoke passing through cold or even iced water and then sitting in the base until it is sucked out should make that a moot point. The size of the base may have some effect but I am not sure larger is necessarily better there either. The smaller the base the less volume of liquid the ice has to cool thus the quicker it cools. Though, with a larger base you have larger surface area so just put more ice and it would cool it that much more. Seems a MYA QT with a diffuser and ice in the bottom would be as cool as a 5'7" hookah without ice and a diffuser.

Basically if your small hookah is well made and durable then you would be doing fine. I can imagine small differences in large and small. I kind of want a small hookah now. I haven't even gotten my large one yet but I could see for taking it to people's houses and stuff a smaller one would be much more convenient.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook