Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How do you smoke salloum?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel
Default How do you smoke salloum?

Hey, I bought some unflavored salloum and its like a brick with a sticky feel to it but yet very dry, how do you prepare this stuff?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
prince of hooka
Hookah Nut

Default Re: How do you smoke salloum?

you put the saloum on a clay bowl then place the coal right on top with no foil on the bowl.
________
Ship Sale

Last edited by prince of hooka; April 22nd, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince of hooka View Post
you put the saloum on a clay bowl then place the coal right on top with no foil on the bowl.

Shit lol
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

No No No dont do that! Mix a 1/4 teaspoon of glycerin per bowl full and smoke it like normal shisha. I smoke Salloum all the time and thats the way I do it and it works great.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
No No No dont do that! Mix a 1/4 teaspoon of glycerin per bowl full and smoke it like normal shisha. I smoke Salloum all the time and thats the way I do it and it works great.

Do you use a phunnel bowl or a regular bowl?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

well ive smoked something similar in Iran and what they did was take it out and rinsed it in water then put it in your bowl and pile it high then place the coal directly on the tobacco....its not very enjoyable unless you want to feel like your smoking a large cig..
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

What you are talking about is tombac which is totally different then Salloum. I am smoking some Iranian tombac now as a matter of fact.

I've got an article up about smoking unflavoured black stuff here: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_6.htm I would suggest changing the hole pattern to columns of 3 small holes spaced about 3/8" U.S. apart. Beyond that everything is on target.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
What you are talking about is tombac which is totally different then Salloum. I am smoking some Iranian tombac now as a matter of fact.

ohhhh! yeah i wasnt sure cuz it sounds the same. unflavored and in a brick
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

yea this is what I bought just incase there is any confusion, http://www.*************.com/shop/pr...1bff5fdc6fa886

And Hajo, great article i'm going to try out what you said, and it'll be my first attempt at traditional shisha.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpimp730 View Post
ohhhh! yeah i wasnt sure cuz it sounds the same. unflavored and in a brick
I hear you. Basically what happens when black style moassel gets exported it sits around for two long and gets dried out.

It's good to have some Iranians here as I love that country and visit it for holidays. I think that some reviews of some Iranian stuff I sent out are floating around here.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel View Post
yea this is what I bought just incase there is any confusion, http://www.*************.com/shop/pr...1bff5fdc6fa886

And Hajo, great article i'm going to try out what you said, and it'll be my first attempt at traditional shisha.
Thanks for input. Yep, that is the stuff. Be careful when you smoke it. Treat it like a cigar and focus on the flavours. Forget about big clouds. I also am a huge Desi Merli fan and since it's cheap and damn good I suggest you try that out to.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Thanks for input. Yep, that is the stuff. Be careful when you smoke it. Treat it like a cigar and focus on the flavours. Forget about big clouds. I also am a huge Desi Merli fan and since it's cheap and damn good I suggest you try that out to.
Yup thats the exact reason why I got it, I'm getting a little tired of the same ol flavored stuff, and its always good to try something new.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I use a funnel for everything.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I hear you. Basically what happens when black style moassel gets exported it sits around for two long and gets dried out.

It's good to have some Iranians here as I love that country and visit it for holidays. I think that some reviews of some Iranian stuff I sent out are floating around here.
I was actually in Iran over the summer and really enjoyed it! i hope to go back soon although since i am a citizen i could possibly be drafted which i definetly am not fond of. the lounges there are so raw and real. you get the feel of so much more and you really experience different cultures. i have alot of pictures and videos which ill post soon
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Iran is a neat country in that it's both very modern and yet not consumed with decadence. It's like Turkey in that respect. The people are also very open and the food is great. I haven't spent much time at all in the capital but I have gotten fairly familiar with the Northern third of the country and the East.

I am huge fan Iranian food, poetry and all forms of tobacco. If all goes according to plan I should have some Khansar brand jurak and moassel soon.

I like the cafes in that they are always nice to an obvious foreigner like myself and no ever was rude to me. Iranian and Arabic societies are very well mannered and hospitable. The best thing about the lounges (other then the tobacco) is the coffee is amazing and everyone is very talkative.

The big problem as I see it is that foreign visitors like myself can't get ale with the evening meal which is definitely not a good thing.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; November 23rd, 2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

yeah i have the most family near mashad so i usually stay there. some in tehran but not much.

my father actually wrote a book on a persian poet by the name of Omar Khayyam and the title of the book is The Wine of Wisdom...check it out its very interesting and its actually an enjoyable read.

haha well the ale problem you can get around if you know the right people haha
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Speel, I hope that you'll enjoy the more traditional stuff and get into using black stuff regularly and be sure to get Desi Merli but read my article about how to smoke it before you try it.

PP730, your dad wrote the Wine of Wisdom? that is amazing, wow. Tell your dad he is brilliant. I've been to Mashad several times on business although it's not a place that has produced much for me business wise it's a great city nonetheless.
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Speel, I hope that you'll enjoy the more traditional stuff and get into using black stuff regularly and be sure to get Desi Merli but read my article about how to smoke it before you try it.

PP730, your dad wrote the Wine of Wisdom? that is amazing, wow. Tell your dad he is brilliant. I've been to Mashad several times on business although it's not a place that has produced much for me business wise it's a great city nonetheless.
yeah my dads name is Mehdi Aminrazavi. Hes written numerous books but this one is the only one ive read because the others seem more like textbook reads rather than enjoyable reads.Whats your business if you dont mind me asking?
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I have two jobs and the one makes me travel allot is about selling food/beverage production equipment sales, engineering and plant design/production flow. Pretty boring stuff. The other job is a consultancy gig with a metallurgy/materials sciences firm that specializes in naval engineering.

Anyway, I hope that people here give Salloum unflavored a try. It's good stuff and John at CH carries it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook