Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

developing cancer

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM
TheMadnessAxis
Hookah Newbie

Default developing cancer

how long does it take to develop cancer ?

like lets say someone for never smokes ...

starts to smoke

around 7 - 9 bowls a week

how long will it take him to develop cancer?

lets say 6 months , can someone gain cancer in that short period ?
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:02 AM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

Default Re: developing cancer

Mate, if cancer had a formula, they wouldn't be pouring money into research.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Yeah there's no way to know. There are people who smoke cigs all their life and never get cancer and there are others who have never smoked and get lung cancer anyway.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

if your that worried about cancer dont smoke...like Dunkel said it can happen to anyone smoking or not, you also have to think about the things they put into cigs other than tobacco i dont think all that stuff is put into shisha but i dont know

honestly my advice is if you do smoke your just going to stress yourself out thinking about it. just save yourself the stress dont smoke

Last edited by Davis18; November 25th, 2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:30 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

I know someone who was very healthy, swam twice a weak to his 80s, never smoked, rarely drank, ate healthy, yet died of Liver and Lung cancer, and people who smoked their lungs out and died in their 90s of other causes.

Cancer is a tricky thing. You can never predict if, why, when or where it will hit, however there are risk factors confirmed by research such as smoking, exposure to some pollutants ...etc., which merely increase your risk, however it does not mean you will definitely get cancer if u have one or more of the risk factors, or that you will definitely NOT get cancer if you avoid the risk factors. It's just a matter of higher probability. Just like the inbreeding statistical relationship with birth defects. Neither Inbreeding guarantees a birth defect, nor marrying out of the family guarantees children free of birth defects, nevertheless avoiding the risks are better.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:35 AM
TheMadnessAxis
Hookah Newbie

ok thanks

does the family history matters ?
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadnessAxis View Post
ok thanks

does the family history matters ?

Definitely. Some types of cancer are definitely genetic
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Lil Jimmy
Hookah Newbie

I just remembered that my two grandparents on my mom's side (who I seem to have to most genetics from, even though I know it's supposed to be 50/50) died from lung cancer. That said, that were really heavy smokers. Still, bad genes -_-
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

I have a very good friend named Chris. His Grandmother used tobacco products even at 85 years of age and was still healthy as an ox. However, another member of his family had never even touched so much as a cigarette and didn't make it to 40 before she went through the struggles of cancer. He told me this when I had the "nicotine fears" about smoking too much
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jimmy View Post
I just remembered that my two grandparents on my mom's side (who I seem to have to most genetics from, even though I know it's supposed to be 50/50) died from lung cancer. That said, that were really heavy smokers. Still, bad genes -_-
That doesn't mean bad genes, just means bad choices in smoking cigaretes that heavily.
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Family history plays a lot.

Lung cancer is pretty much caused by constant inflammation of the tissue (like from the smoke or other things) like people who get skin cancer, the skin burns constantly and gets inflammed, the more often its abused the more theres a chance a mutation can occur and a cancer to exist.

There are people who live to be 100 that are very fit and seem to preserved by the amount they smoked and drank

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Family history plays a lot.
My point was that if it was history alone it wouldn't matter how much they smoked.
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Cancer is a random thing. My gf who is 19 years old was diagnosed with lymphoma (hodgkins type 2A for those of u who know anything about it) a few months ago. Certain things may increase the rate, but it can still happen to anyone.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

It has been proven sceintifically that smoking can cause cancer but that doesn't mean that u will be sick 100%.

Anyway, I think you should stop smoking if you feel stressed because the reason of smoking shisha is to have fun and relax.

You have a healthy life bro
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

if i was really worried about it (i am, but i live life to the fullest) i wouldnt be smoking. if its really a concern, i'd suggest a new hobby
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadnessAxis View Post
how long does it take to develop cancer ?

like lets say someone for never smokes ...

starts to smoke

around 7 - 9 bowls a week

how long will it take him to develop cancer?

lets say 6 months , can someone gain cancer in that short period ?
Your questions indicate that you don't understand how diseases work. Basically anything you do has a corresponding risk factor that is expressed as an increase in the likelihood of contracting some ailment in comparison to a statistical control group. The thing is that nothing, including disease, happens in a vacuum so for a given behavior, like smoking, to have a well established risk factor a lot o attention has to be paid to other aspects of behavior, demographics and genetics in order for the risk factor to have any meaning.

While it's true that cigarette consumption entails a substantial risk to one's health in numerous ways the problem is that research in such areas is laughably shabby, openly biased and the conclusions wildly exaggerated by the media.

If you are interest in learning something about these issues I could post some links for you to read and could use the search function to find some material I posted here on the matter in the past.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Dude get it checked.
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Zen, who should check what?

Here are some links with a mountain of info for those that are actually interested in the study of tobacco's impact upon one's health:

http://web.archive.org/web/200610221...om/ogmyt.shtml

http://www.lcolby.com/

http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/E...ial%201-4.html

http://www.forces.org/articles/files/passive1.htm

http://www.forces.org/articles/files/who1.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/berlau.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/euwsjets.htm

http://www.junkscience.com/news/whosmo.htm

You guys really need to read the book "For Your Own Good" by Jacob Sullum. It has a ton of great info and sources on the public policy debate around tobacco use.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

You can study and research all you want. If the answer could be that easily found, the researchers would have found the cause and cure by now.

I believe that smoking can increase your odds of getting cancer some but, like everyone else has said, many people smoke until old age and then die of other causes.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

I just try not to think of cancer when I smoke

But sometimes the topic comes up and I start to think how I smoke 5-6 bowls or more a day.
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

After 7500 bowls you start to develop lung disease. You don't realize it but it is there. 8200 and it becomes obvious. 8400 and you are dead. Do like me and keep a note pad near your hookah and tick off the bowls. Just stop before7499 and you are fine. Just don't use a pencil cause they are made of carbon.

In all seriousness you need to be conscientious when you decide to smoke. Know that there are very real risks involved. lung cancer and lung disease are statistically more likely if you smoke or are around second hand smoke a lot.
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahGuru View Post
I just try not to think of cancer when I smoke

But sometimes the topic comes up and I start to think how I smoke 5-6 bowls or more a day.
Frankly smoking 5-6 bowls a day is crazy. Tobacco is like alcohol or fatty foods in that yes they give great pleasure but they are meant to consumed in moderation. Rather then not thinking about it permit to suggest that you research the risks involved and make a rational decision. I would also suggest that beyond smoking moderation you not inhale, lead an active life and eat sensibly.
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
After 7500 bowls you start to develop lung disease. You don't realize it but it is there. 8200 and it becomes obvious. 8400 and you are dead. Do like me and keep a note pad near your hookah and tick off the bowls. Just stop before7499 and you are fine. Just don't use a pencil cause they are made of carbon.

In all seriousness you need to be conscientious when you decide to smoke. Know that there are very real risks involved. lung cancer and lung disease are statistically more likely if you smoke or are around second hand smoke a lot.
Actually the second hand thing has about as much scientific worth as a teletubbies rerun. Check the links I posted recently and read up on the matter. Other wise I concur that one should be as informed as possible when doing anything that carries a significant health risk.
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Frankly smoking 5-6 bowls a day is crazy. Tobacco is like alcohol or fatty foods in that yes they give great pleasure but they are meant to consumed in moderation. Rather then not thinking about it permit to suggest that you research the risks involved and make a rational decision. I would also suggest that beyond smoking moderation you not inhale, lead an active life and eat sensibly.
I'm very active, run twice week, work out to stay fit and rarely drink. Its just that I have a very bad habit of smoking to much hookah. I can't remember the last day i didn't smoke at least 2 bowls.
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Actually the second hand thing has about as much scientific worth as a teletubbies rerun. Check the links I posted recently and read up on the matter. Other wise I concur that one should be as informed as possible when doing anything that carries a significant health risk.
I don't know if I can I just had a mental break down from the mere mention of teletubbies. Come on man that was a low swing. Owwww.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook